MacOS Big Sur Lagging

Hello! Help please, after updating the system to Big Sur, my MacBook Pro 13 began to slow down, previously there were no such problems.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
2,7 GHz 2‑core processor Intel Core i5
8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of Seplaz Down vote post of Seplaz
152k views
  • I'm glad it's not just me. Was beginning to think there was something wrong with my Mac. I bought the i9 iMac and really spec'd it out; built to order. But on Big Sur I get stutter animations. If I slowly move my mouse around the cursor is jittery. Almost like it's a bluetooth error but I know it's not. Watching videos and some of them will stutter too. Scrolling stutters. I have to shutdown my computer and restart to clear it up.

And my Apple Wireless Keyboard is not wireless anymore. I have it plugged directly in with a lightning cable because trying to type on it wirelessly would lag and mess up.

This is pretty ridiculous. I hope macOS 12 fixes this.

• It works! mcbkpro 13 late 13 2.4 i5 8G ram BigSur(unfortunately)

• iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 AMD Radeon R9 M390 2 GB

The 11.5.1 update caused video/trackpad stuttering. I also lost my directly-connected Dell monitor (iMac thunderbolt to Dell DisplayPort) video. Turning off the Dell fixed the stuttering. Moving the thunderbolt connection from the iMac to my CalDigit hub fixed the second monitor issue. Is it possible to update or reset the iMac's thunderbolt port? I've reset the PRAM so far...

` Vendor Name: Apple Inc.

Device Name: iMac

UID: 0x0001001901E3F1E0

Route String: 0

Firmware Version: 28.1

Domain UUID: 3D365C05-5471-5A50-BA61-960AEA98039C

Port:

Link Status: 0x2

Speed: Up to 20 Gb/s x1

Current Link Width: 0x2

Receptacle: 1

Cable Firmware Version: 0.1.22

Link Controller Firmware Version: 0.16.0 `

Replies

Glad to hear other people have this issue. 16-inch MBP i9. Tried to have the apple store diagnose. Reinstalled all firmware and ran all the tests they have but they could find nothing wrong. Also have an M1 machine and a 2018 MBP 15-inch, neither of which have the lag issue.

Hey same problem, same computer. If anyone else has this, upgrading to Monterey worked like a dream! No more lag beyond just having only 8 gbs!

I was having the same issue on my iMac (Intel, 2019) after upgrading to Monterey. Lagging apps, UI issues, etc. I read Sherman13's solution of turning off the screensaver, and immediately after I turned that off, EVERYTHING sped back up to normal! No issues, lags or delays anymore. Nice and snappy again.

Finder was unusably sluggish since I upgraded to Big Sur. It took over a minute to open a Finder window. ActivityMonitor showed the Finder never went below 100% CPU usage. I tried all the tips I found here and elsewhere on the web, to no avail. To see whether the problem was connected to my user account, I created a Guest user account, and logged in as Guest. The CPU usage went below 4% and stayed there. Logging back into my own account, I closed all my applications, one by one, to no avail. Then I closed all my Finder windows (almost all of which had already been open in Catalina), and watched the CPU usage go down as each window closed.

1. Close all your old Finder windows!
  2. Reopen them anew in Big Sur.

Same! I tried to push the update as much forward as I could but many programs needed it.. After it everything is lagging and slow, the vent keeps regularly turning on and making a noise like my Macbook Pro is going to explode + everything freezes at that time. Also, some of my shortcuts stopped working eg cmd+c / cmd +v don't work in Finder, spotlight search isn't working anymore for Google Drive (where basically all my files are located), Photoshop barely works.. at first I couldn't even save things, edit windows were blank + some other weird stuff I didn't solve, Indesign crashes while saving large files ...and the list goes on. All those strange errors needed hours to be solved but some things I never did (luckily I can still use my other computer where I didn't make an update to use the programs that don't work). Basically I need to hire myself an IT guy to solve all this! I guess the best way to solve it is just quit using Apple. It's very hard, because I've been a Mac user almost 20 years but post Steve Jobs Apple really doesn't leave any other choice... really sad to see this kind of downfall. As a first step I just changed my phone to android during the last months :(