2020 Macbook Pro will not recognize any HDMI connection running Mac OS Big Sur

Prior to downloading and installing Mac OS Big Sur, I was able to connect my 2020 Macbook pro to any HDMI monitor/tv. Specifically I would mostly use a Dell se2717 monitor. It would connect within a few seconds and there was never any issues. Once downloaded and installed Big Sur to my computer it no longer recognized any HDMI monitor/tv. I have tried different adapters to connect the HDMI cable to my USB-C ports; different USB-C ports with all the adapters; and tried every trouble shoot I could find from Apple, Dell, and various websites. Is there anything I can do to fix this issue?
  • Not sure if this helps. My HDMI through a multi function USB-C device (Network, USB and HDMI) stopped working after 11.4 upgrade.

I have a second monitor working through a Display cable to a USB C adapter. So I am not using HDMI and I am not using the multi function USB-C adapter for display. The USB and Network still continued to work.

Years ago, I had a case where an update stopped third party adapters from working but an Apple brand adapter would work. What a pain.

Good luck.

Add a Comment

Replies

I have the same issue with usb-c alone, this has been occuring for months now on Big Sur. There are reddit posts about it from months ago.

it's a big sur issue, and how it was released like this is beyond me.

already tested the monitors using hp running windows and they work fine. i just upgraded like a week ago and now they monitors are not being detected. both of them.
Thank you for your question. I have tried everything with no luck. I tried using a Ivanky dock and 2 Samsung 24in Curve monitors but only getting one display to work. I connected one of the monitors (the one that is working) with a HDMI cable from the dock to the monitor. The other monitor (not displaying) I had to use a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI. Not sure what the issue is. I have tried turning off the dock and computer, Nothing. Is there a way go back to the previous OS? Lets hope there is a fix to the OS.
So I recently went onto Amazon during their cyber Monday sale. I found an HDMI to USBC cable that plugs directly into the USBC port on my Macbook Pro. This seems to work perfectly with no issues what so ever. Hopefully Apple releases an OS update to fix this bug, but in the mean time this a great inexpensive solution!!
Hello,

I suffered similar issue 2 times recently (acer monitor not recognized on HDMI).

It was working, then I switched some USB devices and the monitor went off.
It was very hard to wake it up but I did, finally.

I cannot tell you if this will work, but probably I did something as:
  • unplug USB-C/HDMI adapter,

• close the computer (screen) to make it sleep,

• plug the adapter,

• open the computer.

Screen was recognized but I won't try again to make sure that the above works. :)

Regards
  • This exact solution worked for me when running a siig dock. It also works just reconnecting and working in clamshell.

Add a Comment
I have the similar issue with Macbook Pro Apple Silicon running on Big Sur.
I've updated to Big Sur 11.2.3 and it did not really help.

The issue is continuously losing connect to external monitor or tv. I tried different cables: USB-C <> HDMI, USB-C HUB <> HDMI and different monitors Philips Brilliance 328P, Philips Brilliance 241P and Samsung TV.
The same issue for all the cables and monitors.

I am really sick of it, cannot use an external display for fastest laptop ever 🤦‍♂️

Should it help if I use USB-C <> DisplayPort?
using USC-C to DisplayPort has stopped working for me after updating to Big Sur. I've tried 4 different cables, no luck

Wow, I just upgraded macbook pro 2019 to big sur without knowing this issue. And now I experienced the same. And I am surprised that this issue is already 7 months old and not been resolved by Apple. As the others, I am frustrated too. Now I cannot use my external monitor anymore. It's hard to work now.

Experiencing the same here. Suddenly cannot function as before at work, it just won't screen anything on the external one. Tried all of the above and more.

Same issue for me - I have a docking station that was previously recognised no worries by my macbook and would allow me to charge and connect to external monitors. Since the Big Sur update, neither of my USB-C ports recognise the docking station, and one of them doesn't work for anything at all :(

• I think your Display Preferences may need to be updated. I use the application DisplayLinkManager.

https://www.synaptics.com/products/displaylink-graphics/downloads/macos

Log on and don’t connect to the docka. Navigate to: Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences and locate the file: com.apple.windowserver.plistb.Rename com.apple.windowserver.plist to old_com.apple.windowserver (can be done thru the GUI) a. copy the Zip to the file to the Downloads folder b. Unpack the zip file and make sure it’s in the Downloads folder Open up Terminala. cd ~/Downloads then hit enterb. chmod +x ResetDisplayPrefs\ v1.20.command then hit enterc. sudo ./ResetDisplayPrefs\ v1.20.commandd. Close the terminal windowRestart the computerLog inConnect the dock to the computerRun DisplayLink Manager if it’s not already runningRe-configure screen arrangement in System PreferencesTest disconnecting and reconnecting to dock a couple of times
  • By downloading and running Displaylinkmanager, it fixed my problem (only monitors, not kbd or mouse, not working through Dell docking connector on big sur after update). I didn't have to do any of the manual steps above. I only had to accept the new preferences permission for "display link mgr to record my screen" which in turn it needs to detect and configure things. It's possible I had previously prevented this from automatically happening, by refusing that request (having no idea whose software it was coming from), when the OS installed tediously stepped me through a zillion permission requests.

Add a Comment

I have had just terrible trouble with crashes as well on my brand new MacBook Pro this year, but connecting a LG Ultrafine and a Display Port (or HDMI via a DisplayPort → HDMI cable) display results in an unpredictable, crash-prone environment.

It helped a bit to stop using the $300 Belkin dock I bought from apple for the Ultrafine, so it is only serving the third display - but issues abound.

• I close the MacBook lid to save a bit of performance since I only use the two desktop displays, but sometimes that crashes things.
  • Other times, opening the lid crashes things. If the laptop goes to sleep, I cross my fingers that it won't break.
  • When I switch inputs on my DisplayPort / HDMI display to view my PC desktop, it often crashes - Especially with the DP → HDMI setup/monitor, but also with the play DP cable (this is across two different test displays apart from the Ultrafine).

I've even had the SMC fail and had to reset it due to this issue, and it affects my work several times a month. It is a really disappointing, frustrating issue. I've filed the issue reports a few times, but it feels a bit hopeless.

I really hope we can get a resolution for this issue, it would be an enormous relief!

• I'm seeing the similar issue with macbook pro 2019, it is crashing atleast 3-4 times in a day. I'm using FALWEDI docking station - https://www.amazon.com/Falwedi-Display-MacBook-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B086WNHHH1/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=FALWEDI+docking+station&qid=1633457399&sr=8-4

Issue started after upgrading to bigsur. I spent lots of time in troubleshooting, tried another macbook to eliminate hardware issue, but the new macbook is also crashing. I contacted apple support, but they are not helpful. It is really frustrating.

Add a Comment

Go to the Apple Iconn then to System Preferences then to Display and choose/check "mirror display"

Just purchased a UHD monitor and I m having the same issue

I have lasted update Big Sur macOS 11.6 (20G165), and no luck, de display is not recognized.

I'm using a Belkin USB-C 6-in-1 Multiport. https://www.belkin.com/us/connect-usb-c-6-in-1-multiport-adapter/p/p-avc008/

I used to connect my mac to tv using the USB-C hub HDMI port. but now, on this version of mac, it's not working.

Please, HELP apple!

Yeah the problem is still not resolved. Didn't know about it and got myself a Lenovo Thunderbolt 4 dock. When I plugin the HDMI the screen on the MacBook (16" 2019) freezes for a couple of seconds and that's it. External screen won't do anything. It's ridiculous that apple isn't even able to fix this after a full year.

Same here the monitor keep black screen after I plug-in the USB-C My devices include: M1 MBP13 + DELL WD15 + DELL P2419H. The solution for my case is to close the monitor, then re-open it and wait for 1 mins, I tried some times and so far it works 100%.

It should be a software bug, hope apple could fix it in one day.

Same problem 🤬🤬🤬