Pls fix m1 chip issues with external monitor hidpi

Can apple pls, pls, pls, tell me when can you fix the problem of m1 chip not support hidpi on external monitors? Or do you even aware of this problem?

I've been using mac for a long time, and i was able to connect to a external monitor with high resolution and good size fonts using 3rd party softwares, like one-key-hidpi or rdm.

However, now with your latest m1 chip, none of them work anymore. Now i can either use a high resolution with ant size fonts, or i can choose big font size with blurry displays resolution, which is very annoying.

so, are we going to fix this issue? or is there any workaround for this?

This is absolutely absurd – Apple, we need basic external monitor support! When do you plan on supporting your customers?

Bought M1 Pro was super thrilled about it and it's a great device. Connected it to my daily driver 1440p MSI monitor and after a whole weekend of trying to make it work returned the MBP. Super sad that this OS can't get basic stuff like this right. And here we are bashing Windows that its bloated and so on ... well at least you can run it with almost any setup. Same goes for linux

It's working since a few weeks, that you can read above 1 month ago, posted by @imagnity:

"What worked for me on my Mac Studio (Should be similar for other M1/M2 devices):

Boot your computer on Safe Mode. Now go to Displays under System Settings (Mac OS version below 13.0, it's System Preferences). Enable Scaled under Resolution and select Show all resolutions. You should now see many more HiDPI options. Choose the one you like. Afterwards, just restart your computer. That's it!"

Do I understand it correctly? If I want crisp text on 34 ultrawide monitor with 3440 x 1440 resolution the only way is to return my new Macbook Pro 16 M1 Pro and go with Windows instead? Or ditch my monitor and buy their Studio Display with non detachable cable or that plastic LG Ultrafine 5k equivalent with that ugly big top bezel ? Oh my....

It seems that Apple solved this problem in macOS 13 Ventura. I checked Beta 6 today and it offers several HiDPI resolutions for my external display Dell 24" QuadHD (2560x1440) connected to Mac mini M1. No need to use BetterDummy utility or dummy 4K HDMI emulator.

Just wondering if there's been an update to this, we have 2 4k monitors, I'm wanting to use 2560x1400 but not in low resolution. We are connecting via Targus dual 4k support hub to USB C on the M1 Max Macbook Pro

I have an older 2019 Macbook Pro that I had plugged into my LG UltraWide 49" with a resolution of 5120x1444 and was running Ventura beta 6, I upgraded to beta 7 yesterday and now my display doesn't work anymore! both displays are completely garbled with no chance of recognizing anything!

It's same issue at M1 Pro with Samsung S32B80P

DP cable is work (3840 x 2160)

Usb-c PD is wrong resolution (800x600)

in other hand, using Intel chip MacBook Pro with Samsung S32B80P usb-c PD is fine.

I also have this issue, I have a dell 27’ 4k, since yesterday all was good (using Monterey) but after ventura update my monitor lose quality.

Had some issues with my monitor, too. In the End I got a software solution which fixed my problem. It´s called "BetterDisplay" and I can set the resolution and the scaling. It helped me a lot after beeing frustrated for quite some time, as it seemed not possible to set the right resolution for my LG Monitor.

Hope this fixes some of your problems... Just set the correct native Resolution in the menu and from there you can select the right resolution.

I had the (low resolution) issue appearing on my second monitor with my M1 Pro on my second external monitor. It's a Samsung 4k display, as is the primary external monitor, although that is plugged into the HDMI port on the laptop directly. I was using a USB-C -> HDMI Female adapter, with a good cable then going into the display. My workaround (and I know everyone won't have this lying around, or have the hardware) was to use a USB-C -> DP (male) cable instead. I know this won't work for everyone, but if it helps some people, so much the better.

And yes, the software issue needs to be fixed.

Hi there,

You might have better luck asking this question over in Apple Support Communities run by Apple Support.

This issue is nearly killing me

I have just written to the feedback form, which is apparently the only one Apple engineers read, noted above. This is unacceptable, and so many unhappy in this thread, everyone should do the same. I will let you know if they respond. At a minimum, they could make the fonts bigger with an extended mode sw patch, if you are. editing 4K, which most of us are, this is awful! A deal breaker if not fixed for me to look a the next gen models. Over a year and nothing done! Horrible.

Crazy Shit! Since Ventura 13.2 Apple get the Miracle: without supporting Hardware and without any 3rd Party Software, you can set HiDPI-Resolutions in the Systempreferences!

Here's what worked for me to solve the 4K monitor scaling issue on my M1 Mac: I installed BetterDisplay, and on that app, I went to settings > displays: I noticed that the native resolution there was incorrect (1920 x 1080) so I changed it to the right one (3840 x 2160) and applied the changes. Once that happened, macOS finally recognized the monitor as 4K: scaling started working natively in the System Preferences, just like in any Retina display, without needing BetterDisplay.

I also was struggling hard with this issue. I had this problem while connecting a Samsung Viewfinity S8 4K display directly via USB-C. I was using BetterDisplay (what I really can recommend to you all having problems). The highest HiDPI Resolution I could get was 1080P. When using HDMI as connection, I could select all resolutions as HiDPI (I wanted to set my external Monitor to 2560 × 1440 HiDPI). The solution was to go into BetterDisplay Settings for my Monitor and set a Configuration Overwrite for the Native Panel Pixel Resolution (which was shown as 720P). After entering 3840 x 2160 Pixels and rebooting, I could select all HiDPI resolutions also with my USB-C Connection. Perhaps this helps somebody having the same issue.

I found a screenshot of the Settings Panel here: https://screenshots.macupdate.com/JPG/63642/63642_1656264874_scr_uc1.jpg

Regards, Bjoern

in my case it was wrong refresh rate set up, cant belive that my mac suggests and picks up un workable refresh rates via HDMI cable...

GUYS! just got it to work and finally my display looks amazing with my mac mini m1!

My monitor is a gigabyte with 1440p resolution and is connected with USB C to DP

This is what I did:

1.- installed better display

2.- go to settings/displays

3.- in resolution scaling section:

• set native resolution to 3840x2160(4k) (yes higher than my display's native resolution)

• set default resolution to 3840x2160(4k again) and 144hz (my display higher refresh rate capable)

• click on ''show advanced settings for native smooth scaling'' and check mark ''add a near-native hidpi variant for the native resolution''

4.- apply and restart the mac

5.- enter to system settings/displays (mac settings, not better display settings) and check mark ''show all resolutions''

6.- scroll and select your hidpi resolution!

With my native 1440p display now I can select 2528x1422 hidipi at 144hz and it's AMAZING!

here are a screenshot of better display settings and mac display settings:

its happen to me also with xiaomi wide monitor 30, its so bother me!

Hi there. I'm having the same problem with an M1 Max and an LG 49WQ95X - which has a default resolution of 5120 x 1440. The BetterDisplay app doesn't make a difference when I try different settings. System fonts remain blurry.

Hi there,

Dell u4321we and still the same problem. Please fix this.

Are there some updates to this? How is it even possible that you can't use normal monitors with M1 Mac books?

We need proper scaling options...

That's terrible from Apple. They don't want people to enjoy good quality resolution in cheap Monitors. I found a fix for that https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/sqwsh5/comment/k9nuaxq

Pls fix m1 chip issues with external monitor hidpi

Q