Can't compile on Xcode running under Rosetta on macOS 12 beta

Hello,

I've installed macOS 12 beta to try some stuff and I'm running Xcode 12.5 under Rosetta for some projects and at the moment I can't compile my project.

I get this error while compiling:

/* com.apple.actool.errors */
/Users/dimillian/Documents/dev/redacted/Packages/SharedUI/Sources/SharedUI/Resources/SharedUI.xcassets: error: Failed to launch IBCocoaTouchImageCatalogTool via CoreSimulator spawn
    Underlying Errors:
        Description: Failed to handshake with platform tool
        Failure Reason: Failed to open connection over FIFOs with platform tool
        Underlying Errors:
            Description: 
            Recovery Suggestion: Try restarting your computer
            Underlying Errors:
                Description: Failed to open FIFOs for handshaking with platform tool
                Failure Reason: IBCocoaTouchImageCatalogTool exited before we could handshake
/* com.apple.actool.compilation-results */
/Users/dimillian/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/redacted-hkncrybiuctsrcfwrlkycwamkzmm/Build/Intermediates.noindex/SharedUI.build/debug-hatch-iphonesimulator/SharedUI_SharedUI.build/assetcatalog_generated_info.plist
  • We're also relying on this on Xcode 12 so if it's no longer supported it will be a big blocked for us. Not all dependencies work yet on M1 so this seems necessary. https://github.com/braintree/braintree_ios/issues/564

• Yup, I wish we could get a clear answer as why it was working on Big sur perfectly fine and not on the new OS.

Add a Comment

Replies

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, this error is showing up as a result of the fact that IB and Simulator are not supported on Rosetta. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

• Sims didn't work under Rosetta for DTKs due to limitations of Rosetta on that hardware, but x86_64 sims work fine under Rosetta on the shipping hardware.

Add a Comment

What does it means? It works great on macOS Big Sur but not anymore on macOS 12 for the same version of Xcode (12.5). Is there a reason why? Will it be fixed in an upcoming beta of macOS 12? This is essential to my workflow. Thanks!

Why is running Xcode under Rosetta essential to your workflow? Perhaps there’s some other way to achieve what you need.

• I am a react native dev, currently I can't run apps on simulators. Not sure if physical devices work. Any suggestions on what should I do? Kind of in a hurry. I use xcode 12.4 for reference.

Add a Comment

We are in the process of replacing some third party frameworks which has not been updated in a while (and which preventing us from compiling for the arm64-simulator) but this is not a done deal yet. So we have to build on M1 MacBook under Rosetta until then. I'm just trying to understand if this supposed to be a bug in macOS 12 Rosetta and will eventually get fixed or if Xcode will indeed not work under Rosetta anymore.

• Running under Rosetta with IB and the simulator even on Xcode (12.5) and macOS Big Sur is not a supported path. With that said, could you file a bug report through feedback assistant and provide a sample project with any crash diagnostic you are seeing for further analysis? Thank you.

• It's not really IB, it's the IBTool when compiling assets catalogs. It's the same with CoreData it can't compile any .xcmodel using the cdtool. I'll try to make a minimal project in a feedbacks but for that I need to reinstall macOS 12...

Add a Comment

Based on the Xcode 13 beta 3 release notes this should work:

Resolved an issue where Xcode and xcodebuild might fail to build iOS, tvOS, and watchOS projects under Rosetta in macOS 12 beta 3. (78967162) (FB9130594)