USB hub failing under Monterey

Anyone seeing trouble with external USB hubs after installing the Monterey developer beta?

I have an ikling FX-1940E hub that I've been using with my M1 MacBook Air. Everything worked fine under Big Sur, and still does on another machine still running Big Sur, but I can't connect a trackball or keyboard via the hub's USB 2.0 or 3.0 ports to the Air since installing Monterey. The hub's VGA port still works on Monterey; I haven't been able to test the other ports yet. Also, a different hub (with fewer ports, so it can't simply replace the ikling) does work.

I've reported the issue to Apple using the feedback assistant. Any suggestions for anything else I can do at my end?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of eurobubba Down vote post of eurobubba
96k views
  • Hi,

After upgrade to Monterey, latest public beta (21A5506j), PD over usb-c from my monitor (Philips 346P1CRH/00) doesn't work as well.

Apple please help!

• Looks like most comments here are with MacBook and the M1. I have a been running a duel monitor set up with my MacBook Pro (intel) for years without issue on the MacOS Beta program. It wasn't until I just upgraded to release 8 that the monitors are no longer detected. I have not been able to find a workaround so any help would be appreciated.

• PD (Power Delivery) over USB-C also stopped working on my MBP 2018 after updating to Monterey (12.0.1). I use a Philips 346P1CRH. Everything was working flawlessly with Big Sur.

Replies

Omg, I am just in hysterics! I've learned how to deal with a monitor, I bought type-c cables to connect directly to mac. Today I updated my mac to version 12.4 and guess what? It just stopped charging via usb-hub. Are you kidding me, Apple?

On top of this bullsh!t, if a USB device (like an audio interface) loses power while connected, the whole computer has to reboot. f!ck this, f!ck you apple.

I faced the same issue today with my company macbook M1 pro Monterey 12.4 . I'd contact Apple support, and they send me a "troubleshoot guide" which basically says :

1. power off and boot on Safe Mode. Test if everything works, otherwise reinstall OS.
  2. If everything works on previous step, it should be resolved if you do a restart. If don't get resolved with a normal restart, try to use a different user. so I created a local user and boot using that one, and surprise surprise it worked fine!.

Then restarted again and logged with my own user (company one), and everything was working as expected. Monitor, keyboard, pendrive, mouse, and it is charging normally.

It looks like it was "stuck" , I hope this comment helps someone

• did not resolve for me

Add a Comment

This is ******* ridiculous. FIX THIS!! It's completely destroyed my workflow and productivity. A ******* USB hub bug. **** YOU, ******* fix this Apple what the ****

One temp workaround I have used with previous Macs and seems to work with my issue, which was after upgrading to Monterey my Anker usb-c port extender worked fine except for supplying power to the Mac (I had the usb-c power cord plugged into the usb-c charging port of the Anker).

Go to Terminal and paste in: sudo killall -STOP -c usbd

It will ask for a password to confirm.

I used this just now and then unplugged / replugged in the Anker with the power cord attached and the battery display message changed from Not Charging to the displaying amount of time to full charge. Now my battery is at least constant as I work (I think the amount of power the Anker allows through is limited?)

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of MM73 Down vote reply of MM73
  • Thanks. It just works.

• When I try this command it says: "No matching processes were found". Do you have any other workarounds?

Add a Comment

Same here, since updating to Monterey (now 12.4) sleep stops power delivery from the USB Hub, so wake up fails to wake the external HDMI monitor attached to the hub. This is specific to certain hubs it seems, the Apple stock "USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter" does not experience the same issue.

It would be fine if there was an official supported Apple product that provided Ethernet, HDMI, etc, but since there is not Apple should try not to break third party ones.

Hey everyone, before you give up try flipping the connector over and trying again. Apparently, if you connect USB-2.0 devices, this is a limitation of the protocol.

In my case I'm using a USB-C extension cable from my hub to my laptop (female to male). Flipping the connector on the laptop side did not work, but once I flipped the connection at the hub side (female in my case) my USB-2.0 devices started working!

FYI before finding a fix, my devices were powered but not connecting to the MacBook, like a lot of users here.

• This did it for me!

In my case I was using as well a hub (HyperDrive USB C 12-in-1 Dock), with an extension cable (female to male). Once I flipped the connection on the hub side (male cable in my case) both the USB 2 and USB 3 ports starting working again.

Add a Comment

Has anyone tried upgrading to the Ventura beta and seeing if this fixes the issue?

• I'm curious to know if Ventura beta fixed the issue as well

Add a Comment

Ive found a fix for my problems, it seems MacOS became a bit more touchy on unstable power, perhaps it doesn't like my docks power supply, im not sure. So i just power the mac with a seperate power supply while docked, no more issues.

Hope this helps some of you aswell.

• I tried this and didn't have any luck. Thanks for the tip though

Add a Comment

My Mac and dock have been powered separately from the beginning. Very curious that some fixes work for some people. And that Apple has not acknowledged this bug.

go terminal and run "sudo killall -STOP -c usbd". After that, reconnect HUB.

Looks like problem is in some kind of usb daemons get stuck after that commend they will restart immediately

It helps me with Baseus hub

respect goes to MM73

• This worked for me, but I had to do it after closing the USB-dock software. So the steps were

Disconnect from dockClose DisplayLink Managersudo killall -STOP -c usbdOpen DisplayLink ManagerReconnect to dock
Add a Comment

12.6 the same problem, the usb ports stopped working, you can charge it but the flash drive does not open

What a disaster.

I learned my lesson. I'm not updating until my IT Admin threatens to fire me!

I have a TOTU hub for macbook pro. Worked perfectly before I did update to 12.6 and now nothing. Tried all workarounds mentioned in this thread with no luck. Anyone know of anything else to try?