USB hub failing under Monterey

Anyone seeing trouble with external USB hubs after installing the Monterey developer beta?

I have an ikling FX-1940E hub that I've been using with my M1 MacBook Air. Everything worked fine under Big Sur, and still does on another machine still running Big Sur, but I can't connect a trackball or keyboard via the hub's USB 2.0 or 3.0 ports to the Air since installing Monterey. The hub's VGA port still works on Monterey; I haven't been able to test the other ports yet. Also, a different hub (with fewer ports, so it can't simply replace the ikling) does work.

I've reported the issue to Apple using the feedback assistant. Any suggestions for anything else I can do at my end?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of eurobubba Down vote post of eurobubba
95k views
  • Hi,

After upgrade to Monterey, latest public beta (21A5506j), PD over usb-c from my monitor (Philips 346P1CRH/00) doesn't work as well.

Apple please help!

• Looks like most comments here are with MacBook and the M1. I have a been running a duel monitor set up with my MacBook Pro (intel) for years without issue on the MacOS Beta program. It wasn't until I just upgraded to release 8 that the monitors are no longer detected. I have not been able to find a workaround so any help would be appreciated.

• PD (Power Delivery) over USB-C also stopped working on my MBP 2018 after updating to Monterey (12.0.1). I use a Philips 346P1CRH. Everything was working flawlessly with Big Sur.

Replies

I even downloaded the beta of Ventura- STILL same issue.. what the heck Apple???

• Confirm, Ventura 13.0 beta 9 DOESN'T fix this issue on MB Air M1 2020. It still doesn't work and my Sennheiser USB headset still disconnects every 3-7 seconds. APPLE PLEASE FIX IT!!!

Add a Comment
    1. 2022 MacBook Pro 14"
    1. 16GB
    1. Monterey 12.6

How can this issue be so old, then transfer to the next OS?!? I am using a Micro Center purchased quality USBC hub with two USBA spots on it. Everything was fine, then USBA webcams stopped working. Seemed intermittent, I was able to get the GoPro10 working from time to time, then not but the cheap Onn worked beyond the Logi, then they all stopped. My USBA Mackie mixer and Pioneer DDJ-SR controller still work, and my external hard drives are fine. I tried the sudo killall command pages above, nothing. I'm not doing any safe mode nonsense just to have it stop mid-stream again. $2200 laptop, can't use simple devices. I tried my quality USB3 powered hub out of the USBC hub, nothing changed; power not the issue. Everything works on the ol 2015 MBP workhorse. Neigh...

j5create JCA374 hub doesn't work with Monterey 12.6. Tech support wasn't helpful. No drivers available.

same issues with my lg ultrafine 5k display (with usb-c => usb-a powered hub attached)

using monterey on an m1 pro 16" 2021

Am running latest Monterey 12.6.3 on 2021 MBP Max and have an Eizo display, which has 4 USB ports and a RJ45 LAN port (what Eizo calls a 'docking function'), connected to my MBP via USB C. The LAN works (running a simple switcher for an internal network). The 4 USB A ports on the Eizo, however, do not show any signs of life. I tried the Terminal command suggested above (sudo killall -STOP -c usbd), to no avail, and Eizo actually referred me to this thread - seems they are as exasperated as the rest of us? In any case, I do hope that Apple will assign this high priority and sort it out without delay. Please. Thanks.

I’m running 12.6 on a M1 Mac Mini. I’ve been using a plethora of USB devices (mostly 2.0, some 3.0) for years, across a variety of machines without issue, even daisy-chaining them through multiple USB hubs.

I decided to consolidate my hubs and bought a new Sabrent 10-port USB 3.0 (type A) hub with external 12v power supply and independent switches to turn on/off each port. After getting everything plugged in and powered up. Only my two WD external hard drives were recognized. Not my key/mouse dongle, not my audio interface, not my two midi controllers, not my printer, etc. The devices would power up but no data passed to the Mac.

At first I was ****** at Sabrent for a faulty product but now I know it’s actually Apple, delivering the faulty product. What a bunch of BS. Went back to my old mess of USB 2 hubs and all is well again. BOO Apple. Shame on you. USB 2 and 3 should be simple yet you can’t deliver. Shame.

I have this same issue on an M2 Max Studio running Ventura 13.6. I have an apple keyboard and trackpad connected via lightning<->USB-A to a KVM, and then via USB-A to the Mac Studio. The trackpad will move the mouse pointer around, but dies as soon as you click the keypad. I then moved the KVM output to a USB-A<->USB-C adapter, and plugged it into the USB-C port on the Mac studio, and it mostly works okay now, but the connection will lock up intermittently and I have to unplug the connection to the Mac studio, and plug it back in again. This typically happens after returning from screen saver, but I've had it happen before under normal active operation.

I had this exact same connection set up previously with a Mac Mini (2014) and it never gave me these sorts of issues with the I/O ports.

I don't see any action from Apple to resolve the problem with AX88179 in Monterey. I have the last 12.7.3. I downloaded the drive few times and still my USB ethernet drive is not working. Did any one have found a solution?