USB hub failing under Monterey

Anyone seeing trouble with external USB hubs after installing the Monterey developer beta?

I have an ikling FX-1940E hub that I've been using with my M1 MacBook Air. Everything worked fine under Big Sur, and still does on another machine still running Big Sur, but I can't connect a trackball or keyboard via the hub's USB 2.0 or 3.0 ports to the Air since installing Monterey. The hub's VGA port still works on Monterey; I haven't been able to test the other ports yet. Also, a different hub (with fewer ports, so it can't simply replace the ikling) does work.

I've reported the issue to Apple using the feedback assistant. Any suggestions for anything else I can do at my end?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of eurobubba Down vote post of eurobubba
96k views
  • Hi,

After upgrade to Monterey, latest public beta (21A5506j), PD over usb-c from my monitor (Philips 346P1CRH/00) doesn't work as well.

Apple please help!

• Looks like most comments here are with MacBook and the M1. I have a been running a duel monitor set up with my MacBook Pro (intel) for years without issue on the MacOS Beta program. It wasn't until I just upgraded to release 8 that the monitors are no longer detected. I have not been able to find a workaround so any help would be appreciated.

• PD (Power Delivery) over USB-C also stopped working on my MBP 2018 after updating to Monterey (12.0.1). I use a Philips 346P1CRH. Everything was working flawlessly with Big Sur.

Replies

My solution is using a 40cm type-c - type-c cable coming with Samsung T5 SSD.

The issue was - not working USB peripherals connected to MBP 16 M1 pro (Monterey 12.0.1) through the internal USB hub of the DELL U2520D monitor. The monitor connects with a single type-c - type-c cable to MacBook.

Connecting the monitor to MBP with that short type-c cable everything started to work: MacBook is charging from the monitor, USB hub is working, the monitor showing image correctly.

Anyway, that is a huge limitation that we need to have special cables to make this all work again. No such problems were with the same setup but MBP 15 2017 on Catalina and normal 1m long type-c cable between MBP and the monitor.

Hope this gets fixed soon.

Had the exact same issues as everyone here with a NOVOO usb-c hub (only hdmi worked, usb 3.0 ports and sd/msd ports didn't) and various single usb-c/usb-a adapters on a new Macbook Air M1 and a 2017 MacBook Pro, magically today everything started working again, at least for now.

• I wish that would happen for me too..

Add a Comment

Problem still persists, the monitor appears in the screen settings after 8 seconds, says it was disconnected. I believe that Apple developers should only use iMac to not solve this problem of hubs for external monitors, if they used that and were with the same problem it would come out in the first fix. Problem still persists in 12.1 beta 4 (21C5045a)

Add a Comment

Good news, for my Philips 346P1CRH/00 Monterey 12.1 Beta 4 looks solve the issue.

I have tested with M1 Pro Macbook Pro 14" and M1 Macbook Pro 13" both are works.

Any body else?

• Yep, working for me now with M1 MacBook Air and MacBook Pro 14 on Beta 4... looks like it's resolved, same screen as you.

Add a Comment

I have the issue using external USB DVD r/w with INTEL Mac also after upgrading to macOS Monterey and still with 12.0.1. (Worked for BigSur)

I'm also usb sound card not work with the hub but work with adaptor usbA to usbC don't know why....... come on apple.... T_T

December 6th - updated my macbook pro M1 to Monterey 12.0.1 this morning and now my external monitor HDMI is not working nor is my USB hub!, Ive spoken with apple support and they couldnt help either. advised me to do a backup and re-install OSX. Not a happy chap. hours wasted!

5 months after the issue was created (In Beta) and there is not any real answer????!?!??!?!

Why doesn't my MacBook Pro 2021 turn on after I hook it to a usb hub. I do music and can't function without my external hard drives. Help........

We should tweet about that, its the only way to get a solution.

#fixMonterey lets tweet it

I have the same probleme after installing monterey, it's very boring...

FWIW I have a similar problem with my AUKey USB C hub model CB-C71. The symptom was that my keyboard (a fairly old wired USB Microsoft Natural Keyboard) and mouse (Logitech B100), both of which are connected via an ezcoo KVM swtch, were not recognized (or even powered).

Moving the KVM switch to a different USB port on the AUKey hub solved the problem for me (the one opposite of the USB-C power port). The other two USB ports on the hub don't seem to work for any peripheral I have.

Even after upgrading to the latest RC2, Dell D6000 dock, usb ports are still not working. Screen works fine, charging also.

I can confirm that on Monterey 12.1 the issue is fixed.

• For you, maybe.

I'm in 12.1 with a 2018 Mac Mini. Using a powered USBA hub (with a very short USB A cord into the Mini) I can't mount two of three external drives. All mount normally when plugged directly into computer.

The set-up worked perfectly until I upgraded Catalina -> Monterey

• I can confirm, that on Monterey 12.1 the issue persists.

Add a Comment