USB hub failing under Monterey

Anyone seeing trouble with external USB hubs after installing the Monterey developer beta?

I have an ikling FX-1940E hub that I've been using with my M1 MacBook Air. Everything worked fine under Big Sur, and still does on another machine still running Big Sur, but I can't connect a trackball or keyboard via the hub's USB 2.0 or 3.0 ports to the Air since installing Monterey. The hub's VGA port still works on Monterey; I haven't been able to test the other ports yet. Also, a different hub (with fewer ports, so it can't simply replace the ikling) does work.

I've reported the issue to Apple using the feedback assistant. Any suggestions for anything else I can do at my end?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of eurobubba Down vote post of eurobubba
95k views
  • Hi,

After upgrade to Monterey, latest public beta (21A5506j), PD over usb-c from my monitor (Philips 346P1CRH/00) doesn't work as well.

Apple please help!

• Looks like most comments here are with MacBook and the M1. I have a been running a duel monitor set up with my MacBook Pro (intel) for years without issue on the MacOS Beta program. It wasn't until I just upgraded to release 8 that the monitors are no longer detected. I have not been able to find a workaround so any help would be appreciated.

• PD (Power Delivery) over USB-C also stopped working on my MBP 2018 after updating to Monterey (12.0.1). I use a Philips 346P1CRH. Everything was working flawlessly with Big Sur.

Replies

I can also confirm. On my old hub (GreenCell AK50) the usb ports finally work again :)

So far I haven't found any new bugs, so I can recommend upgrading Monterey to version 12.1

I confirm, my 8 in 1 HTC hub started working again in monterey 12.1

Finally :)

Can confirm, Greencell AK50 works again 12.1 Monterey

I installed 12.0.1 and had loads of USB devices fail and so rolled back to Catalina. While it looks like 12.1 solves the problem for many people, I think I will delay upgrading until 12.2 or 12.3 because very clearly this major version is full of bugs.

My usb-c hub A15 by DUDAO (SSD/USB3/USB-C/HDMI) is not working well since I updated to Monterey last week. It means I can't plug all my external usb controllers for my DAW (Ableton Live 11) neither my Focusrite 2i2... Bravo Apple, please fix these problems. PS : I tried to downgrade to BigSur (I've got the Macbook M1 2020) but impossible.

After updating to Monterey 12.1 usb-hub is still not working. But at least my Mac stopped crashing when it goes to sleep mode with usb-hub plugged in.

not a single usb hub works, it feels like I bought myself not a macbook but a macbug m1. In general, what a joke to do such a jamb in the end rolled back to big sur!

I've had a laggy wireless usb mouse on my Mac mini since Monterey :(

My USB ports work but show connection speed as 480 Mb/s which is USB 2.0 standard, not 3.0.

Same with me . just upgraded to Monterey and my ST-Lab docking station stopped working can't see image on 2 additional screens that worked fine before upgrading. I am using the latest version 12.1

that's what brought me here.

Apple we need a quick fix

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of KIMT Down vote reply of KIMT
  • How quick must be the fix if the problem is at least 6 months old? ;)

Add a Comment

I'm now on 12.1 and still don't have anything working (re usb 3.0/3.1, and monitors).

I have hubs and shorter cables ordered from Amazon- will report back, hopefully with better results.

But at the moment, no love here for 12.1 (yet)

Hub problem still exists with 12.1 on M1 MBP and Hyper Drive. Connected devices either not seen, disappear or even set to read only; machine reboots during sleep mode. All worked fine prior to Monterey.

Also, notice that Disk Utility can take minutes to list devices, so something is, obviously, amiss!

I have also issues with the StarTech DKT30CSDHPD USB-C Hub. Devices connected to it get disconnected time to time, can be temporarily fixed by plugging it back in. Is it possible that the USB-C is not providing enough electricity and I need a hub with external power connection?

12.1 introduced the issue(s) for me. USB-C connected hubs, video via USB-C (i.e, my external monitor), are unrecognised now — they were working without any issue before the update, under 12.0.1. The monitor is a Dell U3219Q.

HDMI video now randomly flickers off and on often enough to be unusable. DisplayPort via a 3rd party adapter works, but a third party USB hub doesn't.

• Same here. Updated to 12.1 this morning and my TOTU USB-C dock stopped working altogether. Nothing connected to it works, whereas last night I was using it to serve two monitors (via DisplayPort manager driver) as well as keyboard, mouse, and webcam.

Horrible system update experience, wrecked my entire setup!

• MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) Apple M1 Max Dell U3219Q macOS 12.1

Me too, I hope it's not problem from Dell monitor firmware, works with direct HDMI

• Update this workaround did the trick : https://www.reddit.com/r/macsysadmin/comments/qgypzy/comment/hpjdnn9/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Add a Comment