USB hub failing under Monterey

Anyone seeing trouble with external USB hubs after installing the Monterey developer beta?

I have an ikling FX-1940E hub that I've been using with my M1 MacBook Air. Everything worked fine under Big Sur, and still does on another machine still running Big Sur, but I can't connect a trackball or keyboard via the hub's USB 2.0 or 3.0 ports to the Air since installing Monterey. The hub's VGA port still works on Monterey; I haven't been able to test the other ports yet. Also, a different hub (with fewer ports, so it can't simply replace the ikling) does work.

I've reported the issue to Apple using the feedback assistant. Any suggestions for anything else I can do at my end?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of eurobubba Down vote post of eurobubba
96k views
  • Hi,

After upgrade to Monterey, latest public beta (21A5506j), PD over usb-c from my monitor (Philips 346P1CRH/00) doesn't work as well.

Apple please help!

• Looks like most comments here are with MacBook and the M1. I have a been running a duel monitor set up with my MacBook Pro (intel) for years without issue on the MacOS Beta program. It wasn't until I just upgraded to release 8 that the monitors are no longer detected. I have not been able to find a workaround so any help would be appreciated.

• PD (Power Delivery) over USB-C also stopped working on my MBP 2018 after updating to Monterey (12.0.1). I use a Philips 346P1CRH. Everything was working flawlessly with Big Sur.

Replies

"Aukey Unity C71" usb-c hub on fresh install Monterey 12.1 on Macbook Pro m1 still does not work. I can use the HDMI port only. USB2 port does not work, ethernet port does not work either. USB3 ports work only under certain circumstances: a) I boot in safe mode, b) I only attach USB3 single compatible peripherals (not hubs). The machine is hardly usable.

• I managed to put the device into operation.

Regarding Ethernet, I had to create a new "Service" in Network Preferences for "USB 10/100/1000 LAN". It was not showing up, only the Thunderbolt Bridge was showing up.

Regarding the USB ports, I rebooted and unplugged / plugged the usb cables.

Everything now seems to be working.

Add a Comment

I have this issue when connecting my 2021 iPad Pro to my brand new M1 Max Mac Book Pro running Monterey 12.1 using the Thunderbolt/USB-C ports. The iPad runs iPad OS 15.2. It rarely shows up in finder or system report thunderbolt or USB ports. Sometimes it does show up. Sometimes that's stable, sometimes not. Same behavior with my wife's 2021 iPad Pro, and with different Thunderbolt cables. As a control, connecting my iPhone 13 Pro via lightning-to thunderbolt cable works fine. Thunderbolt external drive also works fine except daisychaining does not work. External Thunderbolt hub connects fine. So in this case, there is a specific bug connecting the iPads to my M1 Max Mac Book Pro. Connecting via thunderbolt to an older Intel MacBook Pro running Big Sur worked, as did connecting via thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adaptor to an even older Mac Book Pro.

• Oh, and I did clean reinstall Monterey as advised by Apple tech support. This did not fix the problem.

Add a Comment

For anyone who facing the issue external display not working as usual via usb-c after upgrade to Monterey, for my case...

• M1 max 16" macOS version 12.1
  • Dell Display U3219Q

I've found WORKaround on Reddit : https://www.reddit.com/r/macsysadmin/comments/qgypzy/comment/hpjdnn9/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Unfortunately this issue with USB hubs made me return my MacBook Air today. As others here said, this is not a small bug which one can work around, instead this is a fundamental problem which prevents many people from using MacBooks. I bought it for work and I can't connect mouse, keyboard and display to it.

My setup:

• MacBook Air M1, 16 GB
  • Anker 5-in-1 usb hub (no power delivery)
  • Monterey 12.1

Problem: Usb hub does not connect - power LED on the hub does not even come on.

I spoke to a Apple support today and I've been told to "wait for next release" - which is definitely not a solution for me given that I need this computer to work. I didn't have other choice except of returning mac - I can't easily revert back to 11.2, I can't keep buying more and more usb c hubs praying that one of them will eventually work.

Very disappointing. Bugs happen, but the fact there's no way to roll back make this situation much worse.

The take away here is that Apple is clearly not a serious company. This was well and good when hardly anyone used them for anything important, and they could claim "We do better because we focus on one set of hardware", but then Apple got big and never grew in two important ways:

1. Working with hardware that they didn't personally-overcharge you for
  2. Critical features that Microsoft has had for decades, like rolling back broken updates.

But hey, the touchbar can run Doom, so it's worth it!

i have the same issues and im dissaspointed to see some have had it for months, updated and then my usb c hub stopped recognising ethernet, display works but ethernet has stopped, i tried reinstalling the driver but no luck !!

I actually can't quite believe Apple is shipping this s***. Broken USB? Is it 1995?

I am writing this to report the same issue, I am using M1 Macbook Air, my USB hub brands are QPNP and HyperDrive. After upgrading to Monterey, most ports are not working as expected. It can detect the microphone when attached to USB hub, however, it uses internal microphone instead of the external microphone, I can confirm this when I use the single USB adapter instead of the USB hub, it works with USB adapter with no issue. Please help fix this issue, thank you!

Same problem here, LG 32UN880-B not power delivery through the usb c cable. The whole point of having this monitor it was the "one cable" setup but now it goes on and off with the latest Monterey update (12.1).

Any solutions?

• I'm facing the same issue, the USB PD is intermittent after upgrade to monterey 12.0, The issues solved by upgraded to 12.1 but a weeks later the issue repeated again. IDK this is software issues or Hardware, but I thought that this is software issues due to monterey 12.1 upgraded.

Add a Comment

I can confirm that I just started experiencing this issue today, after a few weeks of it working fine. I didn't do any updates or anything, only restarted the computer.

• Computer: M1 Max MBP 16"
  • Hub: OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock
  • Connected Devices:
    • 2 External Displays (are connected and work fine)
    • 3x USB 3.0 External Hard Drives (do not connect through the hub, but do when connected directly via dongle)
    • Hub is powering MBP through the single Thunderbolt 3 connection, per the usual
  • MBP was previously running 12.1 when the issue first arose, then upgraded to 12.2 beta (21D48) but did not resolve the issue.

Add a Comment

I finally pushed the button on 12.1, and it appears to have solved my USB issues. I'm just hoping I can avoid the memory leaks that I've heard about

Hi,

Just ran into this issue (of not having Power Delivery work)with an MacBook (M1Pro) in combination with a Philips 346P1 display. After some research I found that (for me) resetting the NVRAM works. After doing so power delivery works. However, it only works for as long as the USB C cable remains connected between the MacBook and the display. After unplugging I need to reset NVRAM again to get the functionality back.

Hope Apple comes with a real fix soon, seems to be way overdue.

• hi, I had the same issue (same monitor), after updating to 12.1 the issue was fixed for me. Are you already on 12.1?

• How did you reset the NVRAM? I have read this is not possible on a machine with Apple silicon.

Add a Comment

Can't believe it, but looks like Monterey 12.2 fixed my USB-hub. Finally. Not sure about monitor, will test it, but USB 3.0 is working now. Yay!

My issue with the USB ports on my peripheral dock (UGREEN), which I engaged just today after upgrading to Monterey, has been resolved with the update to 12.2.

I'm happy to report the issue of connecting to USB devices through my OWC Thunderbolt 3 dock has also been resolved. However, it was not the upgrade to macOS 12.2 that did it. I updated the OS a few days prior without any change, then It started working properly after I shut my computer down (keeping the dock connected), and restarting. I did this several times over the past week but for whatever reason, it did the trick this time.

Regardless of the means, I am extremely happy this has FINALLY been resolved and I can use my hardware properly again!