Can no longer detect 2nd display in MacOS Monterey

Since the last update (21A5534d), my MacBook doesn't detect my 2nd display. I've tried swapping the display with a new one and trying different connection methods. My MacBook's built-in display goes black for a moment when I attach the cable, but nothing else happens.

I seem to remember that the System Preferences > Displays used to have an option for manually detecting a display, but it doesn't appear to be there any more.

I hope I'm not the only person experiencing this.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of shark72 Down vote post of shark72
99k views
  • I have the exact same issue. I am a photographer and my livelihood depends on my editing which I do on the external monitor. Now suddenly after the update I can no longer use my external monitor. This makes me switch to windows right away. This is purely a case of cheating.

• I have the same exact issue too. The button for manually detecting an external display in the display settings window doesn’t appear when I hold down the option key. I tried connecting the same HDMI cable and monitor to another MacBook Pro with Monterey and the second display worked. I also tried putting my iMac to sleep and waking it up. I also disconnected and reconnected the HDMI cable while my iMac was powered up. I also reset the NVRAM and PRAM on my iMac, but still no good. I tried entering safe mode on my iMac, still no good. None of the methods suggested on YouTube or online seem to work. Finally, I downgraded to OS X Mavericks and the second monitor did work on my iMac. This proves that it’s not a hardware issue with my iMac and must be a driver issue. Monterey is trash!

• Same issues here. After a couple of weeks with Monterey, my 2nd monitor will not work. Everything else on the hub works. Every other port has been tried and the monitor connected directly. Nothing works. And, holding down OPTION to toggle the "detect external monitors" button is also not available since Monterey.

Replies

Still happening here and it's unpredictable. I took my Macmini into the Genius Bar and both displays worked. I brought it home and both my LG monitors worked fine for a day. When the monitor I plugged into the HDMI port of the Macmini quit again I plugged a Viewsonic monitor into it and it worked. This worked for over a week and now the HDMI port of the Macmini is once again not sending a signal to the monitor. I tried plugging the Viewsonic into it again and this time the Viewsonic would not come on either.

same problem here with a macbook pro and a lg monitor. what a joke.

Hi Guys, it happened to me this morning and previously a few weeks ago after the Monterey update. I solved it by simply resetting the external monitor settings. I can't explain why but it worked for me

Brand new today M2 MacBook Air; was working great then I updated to 12.6. Came back up and no 2nd display detected (4K LG).

-unplug USB C -unplug monitor from power -plug in USB C -plug in monitor power

Came right back up. I was panicking for minute.

• Unfortunately, I am still panic mode... Did these steps and they didn't work.

Add a Comment

Infuriating. I bought a $2000 dollar piece of garbage (macbook pro 14 M1) that does not allow me to do my job. The school I work in is underfunded and a bit out of date. All rooms have EPSON projectors, but with VGA connectors. I bought an HDMI to VGA adapter, but all I get is a flickering macbook screen and nothing else. Projector use is critical to my job and I look like an ***** Apple user when everyone else with a $500 laptop can use the projectors. This problem is a huge let down. An even bigger concern is after looking through this forum, no responses form @apple, just a bunch of people floundering around trying to get their expensive equipment to do the most basic functions. Ridiculous.

Same problem... First real problem since 10y I have had with a mac. Please correct this!

I have the same issue. MacBook Pro 15 2018 - running Monterey 12.6. Please send a fix ASAP!

• Having the same issue, external display is recognized by my MBA 2020 M1, can drag mouse over to it and everything, but screen stays black. Have tried everything on this forum to no avail. Seems like Apple has even removed some of the possible workarounds over the past year. Going to try to order a hdmi-usbc adapter to see if that works. Pretty disappointing stuff!

Add a Comment

this have also worked for me

I am having the same issue. I have a 16" 2019 MacBook Pro with a AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB. Clearly, the card is enough to drive two monitors, a 27" LG UltraFine Display and a 27" Apple Thunderbolt Display (with Thunderbolt 2 to 3 Apple adapter). I also use a Logitech G305 mouse, which utilizes one of the Thunderbolt ports. If all three are plugged in and I close the clamshell, only one monitor displays. I then have to open the clamshell, unplug all thunderbolts. Then close the clamshell, plug one device in at a time - sometimes it requires me to restart for things to work. This has been common since I upgraded to Monterey a month ago. Prior to this, all just worked.

Guys, it is cable issue. I tried two original Mac 2m charging cables, second monitor was not detected although charging, keyboard, mouse worked. I tried two different cables (Not Mac original cgharging cables). Cables from my HP laptop, and secondary display was detected with both cables.

I have a similar issue. Got an i-tec docking station with two external monitors connected via DP. Using Thunderbolt 4 cable. Works with Lenovo, works with Dell, but obviously not with Apple. It's doing an external display but shows both of the displays as one thus showing the same exact thing on both of them. Please fix this!

Still no resolution for this? Come on @APPLE - get it together...this direct result of Monterey upgrade

I've been able to get monitor recognized when in safe mode but not otherwise.

I Have a Mac Pro M1 and was forced to upgrade to Monterrey 12.6.1 and after the upgrade my external monitors could not be detected. I am a software Engineer and this is affecting my work.

Hi there,

You might have better luck asking this question over in Apple Support Communities run by Apple Support.

Same case, M1 Pro, last update has made me reboot every morning to be able to connect to a docking station . This is getting ridiculous .