Crash in background on iOS 15 EXC_CRASH (SIGKILL)

• I found a new one with the following reason: Termination Reason: RUNNINGBOARD 3735883980 (equivalent of 0xdead10cc)

Add a Comment

Apple Recommended

Replies

How did you acquire this crash? A system termination (i.e. a SIGKILL initiated by the system) should have an additional reason code or description of the reason behind the termination.

• Nothing more in XCode crashes

• On some devices we managed to download the logs and it showed a dead lock (0xdead10cc) but most of the times there’s no explanation

Add a Comment

i had a similar problem

was related to an old version of Realm

I have a totally same crash and Kernel Triage: VM - Compressor failed a blocking pager_get

Crash Memory Stack below:

Thread 0 name: Thread 0 Crashed: 0 libsystem_kernel.dylib 0x00000001b7a08564 mach_msg_trap + 8 1 libsystem_kernel.dylib 0x00000001b7a08bfc mach_msg + 76 (mach_msg.c:119) 2 CoreFoundation 0x0000000181089698 __CFRunLoopServiceMachPort + 372 (CFRunLoop.c:2646) 3 CoreFoundation 0x000000018108d98c __CFRunLoopRun + 1212 (CFRunLoop.c:3000) 4 CoreFoundation 0x00000001810a13c8 CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 600 (CFRunLoop.c:3268) 5 GraphicsServices 0x000000019c8b238c GSEventRunModal + 164 (GSEvent.c:2200) 6 UIKitCore 0x0000000183a47060 -[UIApplication _run] + 1100 (UIApplication.m:3457) 7 UIKitCore 0x00000001837c4b8c UIApplicationMain + 2124 (UIApplication.m:5013)

More information: hardware: iPhone XR iOS version: 15.0.2 (19A404)

waiting for any resolution and hoping this could be resolved asap.

• Could you start a new thread, and post the complete, fully symbolicated crash log using the attachment feature? Please also detail how you received this crash log, as I requested of the original post above.

Add a Comment

For anyone receiving a system termination (i.e. a Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGKILL)) and also seeing 0x0 in the Exception Codes line, the system should have output additional information useful for diagnosing the reason the system terminated the app, such as the exception codes 0x8badf00d, 0xdead10cc, or 0xbaadca11, as documented in Understanding the Exception Types in a Crash Report.

Please open a bug report using Feedback Assistant, as this information should never be missing from the crash report, and is crucial for identifying the source of the problem. In your bug report, please include the full Apple crash report (no reports from third-party crash reporters), as well as a description of how you received the crash report, such as through the Xcode Crashes Organizer. Once you have filed the bug report, please post the FB number here.

Add a Comment

I also have a crash report that looks almost exactly the same. More than that, I have two more different crash reports, but all of them have zero Exception Codes and have no "Termination Reason" field.

In my case in all those crash reports I have a ton of threads that are waiting for some network operations (some Firestore stuff in my app) so my guess is that it can be related to some resource shortage (memory? descriptors? something related to threading?). But that's just a guess, I may very well be wrong.

• Could you post the FB number you filed about this info missing, per the instructions above?

Add a Comment

Since first iOS 15 build we've got a lot of the same crashes. We believe iOS 15 has some regressions. There are too many EXC_CRASH (SIGKILL) without any visible reason.

• Could you post the FB number you filed about this info missing, per the instructions above?

Add a Comment

@edford, I can confirm seeing crash reports with 0x0 exception codes on iOS 15. My guess it is the watchdog killing the app, but I'm not sure. Please see FB9791707.

• Thank you for filing FB9791707! I looked at your crash report, and I agree that this looks like a 0x8badf00d termination, and not one of the other types. There's a descriptive main thread back trace, including a lock in the top frame, which would certainly spend time leading to a watchdog termination. Hopefully the other class names give you some clues to where to look in your app to determine how to resolve this. Please see the documentation on the watchdog for suggestions on how you can use the backtrace, even if it doesn't point directly to the source of the problem.

Add a Comment

@edford I am also seeing crash reports with 0x0 exception codes. I have a suspicion a thread other than main is the real culprit, but there's no evidence of that in the report. Please see FB9801972.

• Thanks for filing the bug report. Looking at the log, this seems like a 0xdead10cc termination, meaning some file locks were left open at suspension time. The evidence supporting this is that your main thread is totally idle, thus ruling out a 0x8badf00d / watchdog scenario, and Thread 1 references a third-party library that I know uses SQLite, plus class names for that thread having "Store" in the class name. We have info on 0xdead10cc in the documentation on crash Exception Codes.

Add a Comment

I'm also experiencing the same issue, with limited knowledge, and only in iOS 15.

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGKILL) Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000 Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY Triggered by Thread: 0

Kernel Triage: VM - Compressor failed a blocking pager_get

Thread 0 name: Thread 0 Crashed: 0 libsystem_kernel.dylib 0x00000001ba77b5a0 semaphore_wait_trap + 8 1 libdispatch.dylib 0x0000000183b05ee0 _dispatch_sema4_wait + 28 (lock.c:139) 2 libdispatch.dylib 0x0000000183b06598 _dispatch_semaphore_wait_slow + 132 (semaphore.c:132)

Also reported this in the Feedback Assistant: FB9803928

• Thanks!

• Hi Eskimo

Any news on the crash? Were you able to derive something from the added feedback?

Best

Add a Comment

@edford please take a look at my report https://feedbackassistant.apple.com/feedback/9809233

Look like something is wrong with App Group.

• How did you get this crash report — was it through the Xcode Organizer, or some other source? Your crash report has the reason for the issue in it, and I'd like to keep this thread focused on crashes that are missing the reason. I suggest you open a new forums thread or Technical Support Incident with the crash report, and we can go over the details that way.

• I got it from Windows -> Devices and Simulators. But I also got many crashes of that type from Organizer too, all on iOS 15.

Add a Comment

@edford please take a look at my report https://feedbackassistant.apple.com/feedback/9816327 I get these crash logs from Xcode organizer. All of them have no crash reason and organizer shows NO_CRASH_STACK + 0 for them.

Add a Comment

hi @edford, I'm having a similar issue. Filed a report here https://feedbackassistant.apple.com/feedback/9823992. Thanks

• @PostChris, I'd catalog your crash reports as most likely being 0x8badf00d watchdog terminations, though that's a best guess and not a certainty given the missing info — thank you for filing the feedback report so we can address the missing info. In each of these, you're deep inside UIKit and layout code. In some, you were just launched, but in others, the app was alive for a very long time, indicating a scene update that took too long, which also can trigger the watchdog. Focus your debugging on ensuring your launch time and app restoration time from a suspended state are fast.

• Hi @edford, thanks for getting back to me. I did also notice one crash log unrelated to UIKit - I've attached it to the feedback ticket.

Add a Comment

Hi @edford,

I’m also seen SIGKILL crashes with 0x0 exception codes and no termination reason. In this case, looking at the backtraces, it seems that it is originated from core data / cloudkit.

https://feedbackassistant.apple.com/feedback/9825704

Thanks!

• Hi @edford, Please also see https://feedbackassistant.apple.com/feedback/9826162, we are seeing numerous SIGKILL crashes with 0x0 exception codes and no termination reason on iOS15.

• @Alex_Garcia_87, thank you for the feedback report.  Looking at the log, this seems like a 0xdead10cc termination, meaning some file locks were left open at suspension time. The evidence supporting this is that your main thread is totally idle, thus ruling out a 0x8badf00d / watchdog scenario, plus you have background threads touching SQLlite. We have info on 0xdead10cc in the documentation on crash Exception Codes.

• @ptclarke, looking at your reports in 9826162, you are encountering a termination for the watchdog, i.e. exception code 0x8badf00d. Consider that your main thread is always waiting on a lock as part of servicing an operation group, and servicing those operations is taking too long and thus encountering the watchdog.

Add a Comment

Hello edford,

As advised I've submitted a bug report here with the details you requested: https://feedbackassistant.apple.com/feedback/9831706

In my case, I have 5 crashes which are all Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGKILL), and with missing "Termination Reason".

The Kernel Triage: sections include variations on the following:

VM - Compressor failed a blocking pager_get
VM - Fault hit memory shortage
  • @chojubo, thank you for the feedback report. They look like 0x8badf00d terminations, in that you are deep inside layout code as a result of the system taking a snapshot of your UI. Focus on making sure your UI can layout and update quickly.

Add a Comment

Hi adford,

I submitted my Feedback too. crash signature are same as above:

https://feedbackassistant.apple.com/feedback/9833627

VM - Fault hit memory shortage
VM - Compressor failed a blocking pager_get
  • @Jeff+Lu, These crashes are not the same as what's being discussed in the rest of the thread. These are EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT), indicating that abort was called, and not EXC_CRASH (SIGKILL), which is about system-initiated terminations for specific policies, like system responsiveness. abort was called here due to an uncaught exception via -[PKPushRegistry _terminateAppIfThereAreUnhandledVoIPPushes]. If you need help addressing this further, please open a Technical Support Incident.

Add a Comment