Xcode 13.2 update is stuck

I am trying to update XCode to 13.2 on Monterey. It's stuck at "Installing 7.49GB of 7.49GB" (been for a while...). I tried rebooting the mac and and the install is still stuck.

Reported issue on Feedback assistant (number FB9808696).

What can I do?

Previous version of XCode still runs ok.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of randomdev Down vote post of randomdev
94k views
  • Check this out: https://github.com/RobotsAndPencils/xcodes

Downloaded and installed in 1 hr! On an M1 Mac Mini ;-)

Doh! and just now 13.2.1

• I saw a hint that since xcode has a huge number of files that an active virus checker can seriously impede performance. After several failues to complete I 'paused' clamav's sentry function until the install completed. Honestly, I don't that was what did it or my constant attention over a long time.

• This still happens on ventura with Xcode 14.2 it is a very annoying bug that apple.. never fix.

Add a Comment

Replies

My new MacBook Air M2 was struggling with downloading and installing Xcode. The problem, I think, was that the laptop sleeps after a short period of time and that stops the download/install process. Download/install restarts at 80% or 0% when the laptop is reawakened - repeat. A simple way to avoid the laptop from sleeping is to open the Terminal application (Application/Utilities/Terminal) and type "caffeinate". That prevents the laptop from sleeping and lets the download/install process complete itself. When done type control-c into the Terminal and it will quit caffeinate.

I also had the issue on a MacBook 13" M1 and Monterey 12.6 / Xcode 14. It was a nightmare, it took me two days of countless retries!

In the console log I could see it kept failing with the following message:

[ASServiceBroker]: Connection interrupted
LaunchPad:-[LPAppManager(StoreSupport) _acceptStoreConnection:]_block_invoke app store xpc message error: Connection invalid
got event: Connection interrupted

But it was not only an issue of sleep because I was using my computer while updating. I was using VSCode at the same time, which was trying to call git, not working since packaged with Xcode which is unavailable during the update... So I stopped using the computer and did the update with the recommendations I could see on previous posts:

• plug the computer (this time I used the Apple power adapter and not the USB C cable from my external screen)
  • In battery settings --> Power Adapter --> I ticked "Prevent your Mac from automatically sleeping when the display is off"

It was long but finally it worked!

I did not try caffeinate as recommended in previous post but it could be a good alternative to altering power settings.

Previously I also tried to restart the updating process (kill it, delete Xcode, restart, clear app store cache) but apart re-downloading 12gb it did not seem to help much!

• Ventura has the same issue. Just uninstall xcode first then install it. "Quickest" solution. You will lose downloaded simulators and other stuff. But you'll save yourself days.

Add a Comment

The AppStore update takes forever to complete. It is better to download and install Xcode from the developer portal. I also wrote a blog post about it here: https://dirkstrauss.com/xcode-stuck-updating-m1-macbook-pro/

Same situation. What I did was command + space, searched xcode, opened the application, then the installation suddenly completed itself.

Click Store->reload page.