Xcode 13.2 update is stuck

I am trying to update XCode to 13.2 on Monterey. It's stuck at "Installing 7.49GB of 7.49GB" (been for a while...). I tried rebooting the mac and and the install is still stuck.

Reported issue on Feedback assistant (number FB9808696).

What can I do?

Previous version of XCode still runs ok.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of randomdev Down vote post of randomdev
94k views
  • Check this out: https://github.com/RobotsAndPencils/xcodes

Downloaded and installed in 1 hr! On an M1 Mac Mini ;-)

Doh! and just now 13.2.1

• I saw a hint that since xcode has a huge number of files that an active virus checker can seriously impede performance. After several failues to complete I 'paused' clamav's sentry function until the install completed. Honestly, I don't that was what did it or my constant attention over a long time.

• This still happens on ventura with Xcode 14.2 it is a very annoying bug that apple.. never fix.

Add a Comment

Replies

Try to download from here instead of Appstore:

https://developer.apple.com/download/release/

Note: It is 10.75 GB and not 7.9.

• I downloaded manually, as suggested. The manual install took a while too but went well. It did not help with the other ongoing install. Even after a reboot. I searched a bit and found suggestion deleting some ~/Library/Caches files may help. I deleted files in relation to store (app store). Rebooted. Launch Pad was showing an empty progress bar for a short while and then disappear. Now XCode shows as "GET" on the app store. But now, at least, installd is not eating up 120% CPU... thanks.

• I went to that download link and I don't see a download button. Is there something I have to do to get it to download? It just gives the option to view in the app store and in the app store it just shows the spinning thing.

• Go to More (option above) and then click on View Details, there you'll find the download.

I downloaded manually, as suggested. The manual install took a while too but went well. It did not help with the other ongoing install. Even after a reboot. I searched a bit and found suggestion deleting some ~/Library/Caches files may help. I deleted files in relation to store (app store). Rebooted. Launch Pad was showing an empty progress bar for a short while and then disappear. Now XCode shows as "GET" on the app store. But now, at least, installd is not eating up 120% CPU... thanks.

• I took your advice and removed com.apple.appstoreagent and com.apple.appstore folders. Helped, thx.

Add a Comment

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/67900692/latest-version-of-xcode-stuck-on-installation-12-5 you can try to reference to the top-rated answer

• This was extremely helpful!! It allows you to see the actual progress. Since the xcode data is so huge, it seems like the progress bar is never moving, but with this solution you can actually see the progress as a number out of 1000.

Pasting the core of that solution here in case the link stops working:

(1) Open the "Console" app (not the "Terminal", but the "Console") (2) Go to the "Search bar" and type "App store". (3) Push "Start" button. (4) Log lines will be added from time to time showing you how the installation process goes. In my case, I saw "... Completed: 825 of 1000", and some time later I got "... Completed: 826 to 1000", and so on.

• Seems that patience is still a virtue. :) I've been waiting for a while and then found the suggestion for monitoring activity in the Console app. I started it, entered the search term and hit return. After a few log lines were shown Xcode started jumping in the Dock--install finished!

None the less, the Console app suggestion is great. Thanks.

Add a Comment

Update through App Store has become very slow. On my M1 with OS 12.1, it is still stuck at 971 out of 1000 tasks. It is now 10 hours and counting.

• mine also stuck on 971/1000, but the app store will begin another installing process and it will end up a successful installation.

Add a Comment

Yes, it's weird. On my M1 Pro, I have installd using about 75% of a CPU, and 1h 10min of CPU time accumulated. In Console I can see App Store is reporting 932 / 1000. My two efficiency cores are running at about 75% each, and hardly any activity on my eight performance cores.

Check this out: https://github.com/RobotsAndPencils/xcodes

Downloaded and installed in 1 hr! On an M1 Mac Mini ;-)

Doh! and just now 13.2.1

You might find that over several hours the bar increases. If you check activity monitor for disk io, you'll likely see there's a lot of ever-increasing reads / writes for installd. If so, then it's just taking a long time to install. Keep your Mac on and be patient.

Boot into Safe Mode (on Apple Silicon; shutdown, keep power button pressed until it tells you its loading safe mode) before doing the xcode update. It resolves the variety of issues being reported.
The install itself can take 10-20min on top of the download time.

Same problem.

I was trying to install Xcode from the App Store. I somewhat managed to download the app but got stuck on the installation process. I have tried everything I could think of like resetting/restarting my device, stopping/cancelling and re-downloading the App (but this resulted in starting the download from 0, each time.)

• I have the same exact problem

Add a Comment

The same issue with Xcode 13.2.1 on M1 Macbook Pro. Console says repeatedly

ASDAppQuery.resultsDidChange 497799835: <NSProgress: 0x122f3fb10> : Parent: 0x0 (portion: 0) / Fraction completed: 0.9990 / Completed: 999 of 1000

UPD: Cancelled installation, now it says "Open" and seems to work fine

• Same issue with a brand new M1 Macbook Pro...

Add a Comment

Tried installing from app store. Mac Pro M1 Stops at: ASDAppQuery.resultsDidChange 497799835: <NSProgress: 0x600002bd6940> : Parent: 0x0 (portion: 0) / Fraction completed: 0.9990 / Completed: 999 of 1000

Any updates?

I waited 6 hours for download and have been waiting for 1 hour to finish installation. Device macbook air m1, Monterey 12.1

ASDAppQuery.resultsDidChange 497799835: <NSProgress: 0x600002059a40> : Parent: 0x0 (portion: 0) / Fraction completed: 0.9990 / Completed: 999 of 1000

Hi all,

I am having the same issue on my new Macbook Pro M1 Max - It stucks on the 99%

There's something that I can do?

Im also facing this issue,

in my case 40Gb of data has been added to my System Data (Ive tried twice to download the Xcode)

Im also using the 12.1 Monterey version

If anyone knows what I should do in order to free up this data would be great, (clearing cache in library won't do it) I shall try to boot in safe mode and check my options.

I just experienced this on my 13" 2020 Macbook Pro M1. When looking at launchpad it showed Xcode installing at 12.58gb of 12.58gb. However in the applications folder I could see 2 xcode icons. One was normal and the other still had the progress bar on it. I was able to launch the normal icon, and as soon as I did the console finally showed something other than the 999 of 1000 message, and then quickly went to 1000 of 1000 and showed install complete. Maybe I waited enough hours for it to finish at the exact same time, or maybe that second xcode icon had something to do with it....

• Oddly, mine was stuck at 999/1000 for a long time and simply clicking once (i.e., not trying to open it) on the Xcode app icon caused it to finish installing in a couple of seconds.

Add a Comment