How to resolve the "this application is not recognized by Game Center" error

Hi all,

I'm working on my first game, and the first step of getting the authenticator view is not working. To simplify the problem, I made a brand new app which only has the following code in the main view controller:

import GameKit

class ViewController: UIViewController {
    override func viewDidLoad() {
        super.viewDidLoad()
        GKLocalPlayer.local.authenticateHandler = { viewController, error in
            NSLog("GameKit authenticating")
            if let vc = viewController {
                NSLog("IT WORKED! \(vc.description)")
            } else {
                NSLog(error!.localizedDescription)
            }
        }
    }
}

I've looked through older, similar issues, and so I made sure that I'd done the following:

• Game center is enabled in the app's Capabilities in Xcode.
  • I've created an app associated with the bundle ID in App Store Connect.
  • In the app's Services tab, I've created two leader boards, one "classic single".
  • Also in Services, I've created one achievement.
  • In the app's "prepare for submission" panel, I've turned on gamecenter, linked the leaderboards, and linked the achievement.
  • For this test app, I have not yet uploaded a build, but I did do so on the actual game app, and and that didn't fix it.

And with all that done, in my logs, it looks like this:

2022-01-16 16:28:01.582366-0800 test1ofgamecenter[6863:1006170] [Account Error] startAuthenticationForExistingPrimaryPlayer:Failed to Authenticate player.Error: Error Domain=GKErrorDomain Code=15 "The requested operation could not be completed because this application is not recognized by Game Center." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=The requested operation could not be completed because this application is not recognized by Game Center.}

2022-01-16 16:28:01.976807-0800 test1ofgamecenter[6863:1006170] GameKit authenticating

2022-01-16 16:28:01.976988-0800 test1ofgamecenter[6863:1006170] The requested operation could not be completed because this application is not recognized by Game Center.```

I notice that my achievements and leaderboard are not "live" and I presume that is because I have not submitted the app for review, but I want to get it working before I submit a build that I would expect and want to be rejected.

Is there anything else I need to do? Does this configuration require human intervention by Apple staff members? I started this phase of the development Friday evening, so I guess it'd make sense if waiting until Monday would fix it, but that seems weird. 

Any help?

Vital Stats:
- M1 Macbook Air
- Xcode 13.2.1 (13C100)
- Macos Monterey 12.1
- Testing on an iPhone XR and a 2021 iPad Mini, both with the most recent updates of their respective OS's

• Not sure what happened with the formatting, but clearly the Xcode logs end just before "I notice..." Sorry about that!

• I hope it's clear in the question, but I've looked at a number of other similar questions in the forums, and while some respondents indicate that adding a leader board or an achievement or both fix the problem, that hasn't seemed to be the case for me. I'm happy to try anything else... Like is there a GameCenter equivalent of the old App Store sandbox that I'm supposed to test against? I thought the sandbox went away a few years ago, but I'm grasping at straws here.

• Quick update for the folks following this issue:

Apple support asked me for more details yesterday, and I provided those details last night.This morning, I got a notification that it's been escalated to a senior advisor on the developer support team.I let them know that, based on the up-votes and comments this has gotten, a resolution would make a lot of people happy.Of course, they can't promise an exact time frame, but I have to say, I'm impressed so far with their engagement. I'm feeling hopeful!Finally, whatever useful information I get from my case, I'll post here ASAP so you can benefit from it, too!`

Accepted Reply

Ho-ly heck.

I can only imagine that the folks at Apple rebooted something or shook something loose, because I've been doing the add-a-leaderboard and add-an-achievement thing repeatedly for days, and this time, after they decided that my case was a "code level inquiry", it suddenly started working.

I've literally done this every day for the past week. But now it works, so I'm happy.

So the short answer to the question is:

• Follow the steps they recommend.
  • Beyond the steps they recommend, add a leaderboard and an achievement.
  • If that doesn't work, open a developer support ticket.
  • Once they reject the ticket, try adding another leaderboard or an achievement.
  • ???
  • Profit!

Anyway, I'm happy it works. Thanks for checking in and following up on this post!

• I am suspicious that this is an Apple back-end problem yet Apple refuses to acknowledge it. Perhaps they are running a script or perform manual actions to fix game center support. Either way it is pathetic. This problem has been occuring for many years now and never is there any solution apart from "hey suddenly it works now!".

• Yes and here, too after five days I deleted an achievement and tried again. Now "it just works".

Add a Comment

Replies

Any luck on this I am stuck in the exactly same issue.

This is amazing how Apple makes things difficult and does not make an effort to improve the feedback on this issue with a clear troubleshooting step by step.

• Nothing yet, but it’s a holiday in the US, so I figure I’ll give it another day and hen maybe on Wednesday open an actual support case.

Add a Comment

Same issue here. Leaderboard created. Achievements not created because an error on App Store Connect and Game Center do not recognize the app. How to solve it?

• Keeping hope alive here :)

Add a Comment

I just got a response from Support as I'm having the same issue, and also with a bare-bones app like yours. They directed me to the documentation... sigh. I've pointed them toward this thread too.

• The folks at Apple Support have responded to my case, and have asked me for a bunch of information, which I've provided, including a screen-capture video showing my app in xcode, the configured capabilities, the authentication code in question, the app in app store connect, and the log output when I run it on my phone.

Fingers crossed, they'll see something that I missed, or find a problem on their end and fix it.

I think I've done everything right, but I'd be thrilled if it's my error, because then it'll be fast to fix! Maybe they'll just say, "See that Break The Integration checkbox? Uncheck it!"

We'll see! More news as events warrant. I'm optimistic.

Add a Comment

Same here, I contacted Developer Support and waiting for answer.

• Let's solve this one together! Post the link to your issue here.

Add a Comment

My bare-bones app has suddenly started working, FYI. Seems like it still required a change to the Game Center config (like a fake leaderboard, etc) to force the push to Game Center servers

• Interesting. I've done the fake leaderboard and fake achievement thing already, but I'll try again and see what happens! Thanks for the note!

Add a Comment

Ho-ly heck.

I can only imagine that the folks at Apple rebooted something or shook something loose, because I've been doing the add-a-leaderboard and add-an-achievement thing repeatedly for days, and this time, after they decided that my case was a "code level inquiry", it suddenly started working.

I've literally done this every day for the past week. But now it works, so I'm happy.

So the short answer to the question is:

• Follow the steps they recommend.
  • Beyond the steps they recommend, add a leaderboard and an achievement.
  • If that doesn't work, open a developer support ticket.
  • Once they reject the ticket, try adding another leaderboard or an achievement.
  • ???
  • Profit!

Anyway, I'm happy it works. Thanks for checking in and following up on this post!

• I am suspicious that this is an Apple back-end problem yet Apple refuses to acknowledge it. Perhaps they are running a script or perform manual actions to fix game center support. Either way it is pathetic. This problem has been occuring for many years now and never is there any solution apart from "hey suddenly it works now!".

• Yes and here, too after five days I deleted an achievement and tried again. Now "it just works".

Add a Comment

I have created a new app AND ALSO a new app under another Apple Developer account and they both do not work. Will contact Apple Developer Support.

• You still need to do the ol' create a fake leaderboard/achievement trick.

• I did that too but did not help :(

Add a Comment

In the meantime I have also tried submitting for external TestFlight testing. After approval, it still does not work. I am afraid to submit the app to the production App Store because I haven't been able to test any Game Center feature.

My case at Apple Developer Support has now been forwarded to Apples engineering team as I have the same problem with multiple apps and multiple Apple Developer Accounts.

• Hi Wizfinger, did you ever get this resolved? Thanks

Add a Comment

I've found that many other developers are experiencing the same problem. Maybe there are really few games developed with Apple's GameKit, or else the engineers wouldn't have been serious about solving this problem.

• I am also experiencing this issue.. Opening a ticket…:(

The fake leaderboard and achievement trick doesn’t seem to work…. :(

Add a Comment

I’m also experiencing the same issue with Game Center not recognising the app and unable to authenticate local player or load leaderboards. Have set up the app in Xcode and Apple Connect exactly as Apple recommend. I submitted a Technical Support Incident (TSI) via the developer website. They only responded a week later to tell me to submit a bug report via the Feedback Assistant. That was over two weeks ago and I’ve heard nothing. I’ve even downloaded the sample project from the following Apple video, but it still doesn’t work. https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2021/10067/ It’s really very frustrating to say the least!!

Really frustrating to deal with those kind of bugs. It's been there for years from the internet search, and yet it's still there! I feel like I paid the membership fee for nothing because my game would be multiplayer game. I have the exact same situation as @pjb1000 I’m also experiencing the same issue with Game Center not recognising the app and unable to authenticate local player or load leaderboards. Have set up the app in Xcode and Apple Connect exactly as Apple recommend. I submitted a Technical Support Incident (TSI) via the developer website. They only responded a week later to tell me to submit a bug report via the Feedback Assistant.  Which I don't think they will look at it.... Very disappointed.

Just to add another voice here, specifically adding a dummy achievement on the "Prepare for Submission" page on App Store Connect made Game Centre instantly wake up and start working for me. Definitely feels like all the knowledge that built this feature is long gone, and no one at Apple dares touch it.