Is anyone able to get Unlisted Apps approved? We have summited and been waiting over 4 weeks

Following the process here: https://developer.apple.com/support/unlisted-app-distribution/

We submitted our app for review early Feb via the request form and have had no response. We have emailed asking for status updates and been told they cannot track the progress.

We have attempted to get callbacks to resolve this issue and they don't even call us.

Is there anyway to get actual support from someone who knows what they are doing? Has anyone actually got an unlisted app onto the store?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of spbnz Down vote post of spbnz
11k views
  • I am experiencing a similar issue but have not had any issues with response times. My app was approved for unlisted distribution and reflects the update in the Pricing and Availability section. When I submit the app for approval, I continue to get a 3.2 rejection - recommending "Custom app distribution" via Apple Business Manager or Apple School Manager. Since this is a new distribution method and based on the responses, I'm not sure if the review team is aware of this update. Different situation but same fundamental problem - I will provide an update if I am able to find a way out of this loop.

• Thanks jon_doyle. Hopefully you can get yours through. We have just gone back to square 1 submitting it all again. Hopefully we will get a response this time around.

• Our app has somehow been approved for public distribution (it really shouldn't be). So we are waiting for it to get the unlisted distribution so it can be reflected in the pricing and availability section before we release.

Accepted Reply

OK. So we got there in the end. The process they document to get an unlisted app listed is not right. We had to make a copy of our existing app that is distributed via ABM and change is icon and package name.

The correct steps to follow are

1. Submit your app for review (pending developer release). Put in the notes that it is to be an unlisted app
  2. Submit the unlisted app request by filling out the form
  3. Get the app passing review for everything but rejections quoting guideline 3.2 (Our app actually got full approval without the unlisted app status which it shouldn't)
  4. If you get the app past review do not deploy until you get an email saying it has been approved as an unlisted app.

5) Release your app

• Thank you for your post. After many hours of searching the web, this is the one and only piece of information I've found to give me any hope that I might not be the crazy one in this very confusing process!

• Sorry, but this makes no sense. We have unlisted apps approved all the time. Why did you have to make a B2B/ABM version of your app? That's just not correct in most cases.

The only reason to make a copy of the app is if the original app was B2B, in which case you need a non-B2B version for unlisted app status.

• Sorry, but this makes no sense. We have unlisted apps approved all the time. Why did you have to make a B2B/ABM version of your app? That's just not correct in most cases.

The only reason to make a copy of the app is if the original app was B2B, in which case you need a non-B2B version for unlisted app status.

Replies

OK. So we got there in the end. The process they document to get an unlisted app listed is not right. We had to make a copy of our existing app that is distributed via ABM and change is icon and package name.

The correct steps to follow are

1. Submit your app for review (pending developer release). Put in the notes that it is to be an unlisted app
  2. Submit the unlisted app request by filling out the form
  3. Get the app passing review for everything but rejections quoting guideline 3.2 (Our app actually got full approval without the unlisted app status which it shouldn't)
  4. If you get the app past review do not deploy until you get an email saying it has been approved as an unlisted app.

5) Release your app

• Thank you for your post. After many hours of searching the web, this is the one and only piece of information I've found to give me any hope that I might not be the crazy one in this very confusing process!

Going to https://developer.apple.com/contact/request/unlisted-app/ gives me the following

Sorry, you cannot view this page. The Apple ID you signed in with does not have permission to view this page. If you’re currently a member of the Apple Developer Program, you or your Account Holder may need to update your account by agreeing to the latest license agreement in order to access this page. To view your current membership status and benefits, visit your account.

Any help appreciated.

• I am having the same issue as dteo_appetiser of not being able to access the unlisted app form. I am an Admin user on our account. The "Account Holder" seems to be able to access the page, though.

• I can confirm that only the Account Holder can request the unlisted app distribution. I had an admin account and I got the "cannot view this page" error until I became the Account Holder.

Add a Comment

Thank you for this post.

How long did it take to get a response to your unlisted app form submission?

We seem to be in the loop of waiting for that response without any indication whether or not they have even received it.

We have resubmitted our app twice and have found that we have been rejected again quoting 3.2 guideline. We have submitted the unlisted app request and are waiting for a response.

• Did you ever get a response for the unlisted app request? How long did it take?

• I also was wondering how long it took to get a response for the unlisted app request? Thanks!

• I also was wondering how long it took for you to get a response for the unlisted app request? Thanks!

this process is totally confusing for Apple itself: noone knows exactly how it works, how long will it take and there is no tracking about it. Also, the form is buggy and silly.

some requests simply never get answered and you will never get a feedback about it.

• I'm suffering here too. Almost two weeks later from the submission, I got no reply, no protocol, no place to follow-up... :(

• I was able to distribute my app as unlisted by these steps: 1. I submitted my app for review, but I chose it to be "pending developer release. With a note inside the review notes that the app is supposed to be unlisted. 2. Immediately, filled the request form: https://developer.apple.com/contact/request/unlisted-app/ 3. My submission was rejected but I didn't resubmit it until the my request for unlisted distribution was approved, with a note that it has been approved as unlisted.

Add a Comment

Is there any way to check the status of request submitted for unlisted app?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of BHEL Down vote reply of BHEL
  • how long did you get the response?

• No, there is any status page, and I only received single mail that "the request for unlisted app distribution was approved". I didn't receive any mail from unlisted app except it. Even after I sent the request for unlisted app, I didn't receive any mail. I just waited until the approval mail.

Add a Comment

As I said in the comments it took me about 2 days since requesting Unlisted App distribution. Process was Submit an already rejected App -> Immediately submit Unlisted App form -> App rejected by 3.2 guideline -> Wait untill Unlisted App got approved (for me 2 days) -> Unlisted App Got Approved -> Resubmit App (with note indicating your app has been approved for Unlisted App). Hope this helps

• Thanks for your detailed guide. My app was also approved using your process. Exactly same. Thank you very much.

Add a Comment

I got my app approved for unlisted distribution, but my distribution was set to Private (which seemed to make the most sense). They said it needed to be resubmitted with Public distribution.

So I resubmitted with Public distribution. And then my app was rejected for unlisted distribution BECAUSE it was marked for public distribution.

I replied to the rejection pointing out that they were sending me in circles.

They rejected my app AGAIN, but this time said "We need additional time to evaluate your submission."

That was a week ago. Sigh!

I submitted my App for the unlisted distribution, and got the approval in the APP Store, but I didn't get any mail regarding the response of the unlisted request. Should I go ahead and publish my app or I should wait for the response mail? What if I publish my app without waiting for the unlisted request response?

• Did you receive an approval email for the distribution of the unlisted app? How long did it take? They said they would reply to the automated reply email within 3 business days, but they haven't received any response yet.

Add a Comment

@omglucky Did you get some reply from them. I am also waiting for almost a week on unlisted app distribution request.