Screen Time API features iOS 15 / iOS 16

Hi folks!

Please help me to clarify some things related to Screen Time API.

1. What the keys differences between individual and child authorization? With individual type of auth user can do sign-out from iCloud and delete the app. What else differentiate this type of users?
  2. Can we use DeviceActivityEvent for remote control with individual auth?
  3. Can the parental or guardian see/get the statistic of apps usage?
  4. Is the individual auth available to all users or just those who are in the Apple's family?

I'll really appreciate any help and answer! Thank you in advance!

Accepted Reply

1. In order to successfully request a child authorization, the device must be signed into a child's iCloud account and the authorization must be approved by a parent/guardian in the child's iCloud family. The individual authorization is done via Face ID or Touch ID. child authorizations additionally allow your app to use a custom network extension filter and also result in DeviceActivity data being shared with the child's parent/guardian(s).
  2. Yes.
  3. Yes, if that parent's child has a device where your app has been authorized by FamilyControls. You can create a DeviceActivity report extension and use a filter for .children on the parent's device.
  4. The individual authorization is available for all users.
  • I using ScreenTime API in the app to hide some app users want to but when upload to Apple Store, the app was rejected, Your app uses public APIs in an unapproved manner, which does not comply with guideline 2.5.1 of the App Store Review Guidelines. Since there is no accurate way of predicting how an API may be modified and what effects those modifications may have Next Step Please revise your app to ensure that documented APIs are used in the manner prescribed by Apple.

Anyone can help to fix?

Add a Comment

Replies

1. In order to successfully request a child authorization, the device must be signed into a child's iCloud account and the authorization must be approved by a parent/guardian in the child's iCloud family. The individual authorization is done via Face ID or Touch ID. child authorizations additionally allow your app to use a custom network extension filter and also result in DeviceActivity data being shared with the child's parent/guardian(s).
  2. Yes.
  3. Yes, if that parent's child has a device where your app has been authorized by FamilyControls. You can create a DeviceActivity report extension and use a filter for .children on the parent's device.
  4. The individual authorization is available for all users.
  • I using ScreenTime API in the app to hide some app users want to but when upload to Apple Store, the app was rejected, Your app uses public APIs in an unapproved manner, which does not comply with guideline 2.5.1 of the App Store Review Guidelines. Since there is no accurate way of predicting how an API may be modified and what effects those modifications may have Next Step Please revise your app to ensure that documented APIs are used in the manner prescribed by Apple.

Anyone can help to fix?

Add a Comment

Kmart, thank you very much for your answers it's really helpful!

Please, help me to clarify one more thing...

1. As I read here in the comment ManagedSettings has two type of restrictions, shielding and blocking. Is blocking type of restriction available for users with individual type of auth?

2. If the answer on the first question is "No", does that mean that individual user will be able just to skip the shielding screen and continue to use apps?

3. If individual user can skip shielding, will it be allowed to do it with a passcode or without, if the passcode wasn't set for Screen Time in the phone settings?

Looking forward to hearing from you

Kmart, thank you very much for your answers it's really helpful!

Please, help me to clarify one more thing... As I read here in the comment ManagedSettings has two type of restrictions, shielding and blocking. Is blocking type of restriction available for users with individual type of auth? If the answer on the first question is "No", does that mean that individual user will be able just to skip the shielding screen and continue to use apps? If individual user can skip shielding, will it be allowed to do it with a passcode or without, if the passcode wasn't set for Screen Time in the phone settings? Looking forward to hearing from you

All answers are here.

I using ScreenTime API in the app to hide some app users want to but when upload to Apple Store, the app was rejected, Your app uses public APIs in an unapproved manner, which does not comply with guideline 2.5.1 of the App Store Review Guidelines. Since there is no accurate way of predicting how an API may be modified and what effects those modifications may have Next Step Please revise your app to ensure that documented APIs are used in the manner prescribed by Apple. Anyone can help to fix?