APNs keep returning unregistered token

Hi, we've observed a weird behavior for a small amount of our user that we keep receiving the same token from APNs despite it's shown as Unregistered.

When we try to send push to the token, we got an Unregistered error so we remove that token from our server. However, later we would receive an add token request from the client with the same token we just removed, and when we try to send to the token it returns Unregistered again so we remove the token again. This happened 3 times for a user in an hour. The identifierForVendor remains the same for all the requests.

We also owns the client and I've checked client code that it's sending the token it received from didRegisterForRemoteNotificationsWithDeviceToken to the server.

Replies

Hi, I'm observing a similar behaviour with a small fraction of our users (seems only on iOS16). I keep receiving the same old token over and over again refused as Unregistered by the APN. Are you still experiencing this issue ?

I've just observed the same odd behaviour. I kept receiving an Unregistered token myself when testing the app (I was using testflight though) , I could verify the token was coming from a didRegisterForRemoteNotificationsWithDeviceToken and did not change. The only way to get a new valid token was to remove and reinstall the app.