Distribution Managed certificate expiring soon but not in Xcode - what to do?

Hi everyone, I am unclear about what steps I need to take regarding one of my certificates.

I am a single developer and I have two certificates in my Developer account: one of type "Development", one of type "Distribution Managed".

A couple days ago Xcode warned me that one of my certificates will expire soon, and as it turns out, it's the "Distribution Managed" one. At the time I ignored the warning and it hasn't popped up since (I am using managed signing).

Since I never updated a certificate before I checked the forum and read that "Distribution Managed" is apparently for Enterprise accounts (which I don't have). Also, when I check Xcode it does not tell me that a certificate is about to expire anymore. In the Signing & Capabilities section the only certificate that is listed is the "Development" one which is expiring sometime next year.

I am confused about a couple things:

• Why does the "Distribution Managed" certificate not show up under Signing & Capabilities in Xcode? I have already submitted the app and released several updates, so publishing definitely works for me.
  • Does Xcode take care of extending or reissuing the "Distribution Managed" certificate for me since I am using automatic signing?
  • Do I simply create a new certificate for Apple Distribution and Xcode handles the rest? Or do I have to actively import the new certificate and then revoke the old one?

Thanks in advance, any help is appreciated!

Answered by DTS Engineer in 744151022

"Distribution Managed" is apparently for Enterprise accounts

No, that’s not right. The Managed certificates relate to Xcode’s cloud signing feature. If you’re not using that, the fact that it’s expiring is irrelevant. If you are using that then… well… I believe Xcode Cloud deals with all of that for you.

Regardless, there’s no action for you to take here because our systems have no way for you to renew these managed certificates.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Accepted Answer

"Distribution Managed" is apparently for Enterprise accounts

No, that’s not right. The Managed certificates relate to Xcode’s cloud signing feature. If you’re not using that, the fact that it’s expiring is irrelevant. If you are using that then… well… I believe Xcode Cloud deals with all of that for you.

Regardless, there’s no action for you to take here because our systems have no way for you to renew these managed certificates.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Distribution Managed certificate expiring soon but not in Xcode - what to do?

Q