Disable Smart Selection feature on PKCanvasView

I've been trying to disable the "Smart Selection" feature introduced in https://developer.apple.com/wwdc20/10107 from a PKCanvasView. This feature could be very useful for some apps but if you want to start from a clean state canvas it might get in your way as you add gestures and interactions.

Is there any way to opt out from it?

The #WWDC20-10107 video demonstrates the "Smart Selection" feature at around 1:27.

Accepted Reply

Further investigation revealed that the Smart Selection feature is not really a PKCanvasView but a product of the interaction between a PKToolPicker and a PKCanvasView. That means that only when the PKToolPicker is visible the Smart Selection feature would run. Therefore the title of this post should be "Disable Smart Selection feature on PKToolPicker / PKCanvasView", and then the workaround (without any API changes) would be to hide the PKToolPicker as soon as a touch is detected on the PKCanvasView.

• Is your workaround still valid for iOS17? After updating to iOS17, my app now works smart selection even when the PKToolPicker is not displayed. I would like to know how to disable smart selection on iOS17.

• It looks like this is fixed as of 17.0.1. Try updating your test device or your simulator's OS version.

• I'm hitting this issue again on iPadOS 17.2 - I'll file a feedback for this..

Add a Comment

Replies

Further investigation revealed that the Smart Selection feature is not really a PKCanvasView but a product of the interaction between a PKToolPicker and a PKCanvasView. That means that only when the PKToolPicker is visible the Smart Selection feature would run. Therefore the title of this post should be "Disable Smart Selection feature on PKToolPicker / PKCanvasView", and then the workaround (without any API changes) would be to hide the PKToolPicker as soon as a touch is detected on the PKCanvasView.

• Is your workaround still valid for iOS17? After updating to iOS17, my app now works smart selection even when the PKToolPicker is not displayed. I would like to know how to disable smart selection on iOS17.

• It looks like this is fixed as of 17.0.1. Try updating your test device or your simulator's OS version.

• I'm hitting this issue again on iPadOS 17.2 - I'll file a feedback for this..

Add a Comment