Inline Comparison on Commit seems to be forced in XCode 15 Beta 3

Anyone know how to set Side By Side Comparison in the new commit UI? New UI seems to missing a lot of features like multi-select of files to discard/stage...

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of MB-IUGO Down vote post of MB-IUGO
5.2k views
  • I have been using Xcode for more than 5 years and this change is sadly the first change that is so bad that I am motivated to post in the Developer Forums for the first time. I've lived through buggy code and missing features but this is the first time where, through lack of design consideration and user experience, they've managed to cripple a key feature. These problem should have been flagged early in the dev cycle and is a problem of technical leadership rather than programming.

Add a Comment

Replies

Looks like a bug to me - Editor menu has both Inline and Side By Side comparisons available, but switching between them has no effect.

Let's hope it's a bug, as the current commit UI is still pretty useless in the latest Beta 5 state. usually Apple goes to Beta 6 before RC, so it's actually concerning, as it's doubtful beta 6 will have such a large change.

This is a HORRIBLE change. I cannot stand in-line comparison.

To top it off, the highlighting of the in-line comparison is also HORRENDOUS at best.

Normally, you would see a red background on the removed line and green on the inserted.

The line that should be red is faintly highlighted and simply looks like you have selected the line of code. The line that is normally green is simply the background color.

The piss-poor formatting makes it super confusing to distinguish the changes.

BRING BACK SIDE-BY-SIDE COMPARISON FOR COMMITS!!!!!!!!!!!

Why?

Agree, absolutely unusable "Commit" in Xcode 15.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of urix Down vote reply of urix

Seems like a nasty bug to me. Or a huge step backwards in user experience. Apple please fix this!

This issue was apparently raised in the beta version, but I don't run beta software, and still ran into this in the released version of Xcode in the course of a normal OS upgrade (13.5 → 13.5.2?)

Really dislike the new commit view. The side-by-side view was superior. It was easier to see the changes.

It's buggy and slow. If I scroll the new commit view too quickly, it shows the file, not the diff, with the diff loading in several seconds later. It's virtually unusable.

Glad to see I'm not the only one. I very much prefer the side by side, and found the old interface to be great as it was, and this current implementation unusable.

Just an update here after my original post this morning. I've been trying to use this new UI all day, and the more I use it, the more I hate it. And I'm constantly afraid I'm going to accidentally perform an action I didn't intend. One issue I ran into today, was code that I had deleted, was showing up in the UI. I could have sworn I deleted it and was wondering why it was appearing as though it had been added. Looking in the SourceTree app, the lines in question were clearly marked in Red. But the Xcode UI instead shows it as a faint background, the exact issue that I see @YukonJJR describing above. Maddening.

Unlike the original side-by-side editor (which existed as such for years and no one complained about), this new version as far as I can tell is no longer a live editor either. I can't simply go and fix a typo in a comment right there as I'm reviewing the diff, as I normally would with the functional commit interface in prior versions of Xcode.

I also ran into many of the issues @keithburgoyne described, terrible scrolling, not showing files properly, etc. And its not like I was making major changes.

I just don't understand these decisions and how something so shoddy and questionable like this can be released. Especially when there are plenty of other areas in Xcode that are buggy that need fixing (as far as I can tell, none of the bugs I reported in the virtual labs this year at WWDC to the team seem to have been fixed). But yet, the team had the time to "fix" something that wasn't broken.

And its not just the dev teams, some of these product decisions like the "Fine Woven" case seem to be becoming a debacle that should have been spotted a mile away. Like what some friends repeatedly say to me as of late, the quality of everything has just gone downhill, and so have the standards.

I went and filed a Radar anyway requesting they revert back (or at least provide a setting to enable the previous version). Thats really all I can do that this point, and hope others do the same.

Same here. I just tried to clean up some code changes in about 10 files. Complete mess, there was no good overview, I had to stage each change separately. And after a while, Xcode just crashed.

I had to revert using git in the terminal, once again.

Please, bring back to old side-by-side comparison

I agree, the new UI is horrible... The inline changes are one thing, but there is also no file hierarchy displayed. This means that if you have two files with the same name but in different directories, you can't tell which one has been modified.

Please add an option to use the legacy view. 🙏

Same concerns here.
The side by side view is a must to review code before a commit.
Please bring it back

Side by Side is something I would (and do) use an external tool for if it is not available, but having a menu option for it doing nothing is definitely a bug.

Usually i don't prefer staging as i consider both commit and stage to perform more or less the same job. But facing lots of issues in staging files.

Apart from that, UI is so unstable .

Random file reordering and scrolling in the Changes tab. Unable to view folder hierarchy before committing. Better to switch to some other version control tool if apple doesn't fix it soon enough !! 🙏

The new "Integrate" options have been a car crash for me: I've had several partial checkins where not all files seemed to get included, countless occasions where the Commit and Push button does nothing until I restart Xcode, and I still have no idea how to specify on a per-file basis which should or shouldn't be included in a commit.

But the disappearance of side-by-side comparison is worst of all - I'm going to have to stop using Xcode for VCS at this rate. Please fix this Apple.