Opaque error when trying to test app on physical iPhone

I am trying to run a test app on my physical iPhone. XCode is giving me the following error when I try to do so:

The run destination Mike's iPhone is not valid for Running the scheme 'TestApp'.

Failed to prepare the device for development. This operation can fail if the version of the OS on the device is incompatible with the installed version of Xcode. You may also need to restart your Mac and device in order to correctly detect compatibility.

Is there any way I can get more information on what specific compatibility issue is happening here?

I checked the version info as the error outlines: I am using XCode 14.1 and an iPhone XR on iOS 16.5.1. According to Apple's docs[1] XCode 14.3.1 supports iOS 16.4. My project's minimum deployment is set to 16.0 so my phone's OS should be sufficient.

I've tried restarting both my mac and iPhone and have cleaned the build directory before during and after restarting each device. I was previously able to run apps on this same iPhone several months ago though I believe it was on a different laptop (that I no longer have access to). I have confirmed that developer mode is on on the iPhone both before and after my restarts.

This error is still occurring and unfortunately the error has not changes so I am still working with the one completely opaque error. Is there a way I can check the underlying error or get more info on what I may need to do to resolve this error?

Answered by Claude31 in 758785022
  • I tested with Xcode 14.1 and iPhone iOS 16.5.

It works.

• I tested with Xcode 14.1 and iPhone iOS 16.5.1. (just upgraded)

It does not work (failed to prepare iPhone for development).

• I then tested with Xcode 14.2 and iPhone iOS 16.5.1.

Works again.

You wrote:

I am using XCode 14.1 and an iPhone XR on iOS 16.5.1. According to Apple's docs[1] XCode 14.3.1 supports iOS 16.4

But that does not say Xcode 14.1 supports iOS 16.5.1

So advice: upgrade to Xcode 14.2 at least.

Accepted Answer
  • I tested with Xcode 14.1 and iPhone iOS 16.5.

It works.

• I tested with Xcode 14.1 and iPhone iOS 16.5.1. (just upgraded)

It does not work (failed to prepare iPhone for development).

• I then tested with Xcode 14.2 and iPhone iOS 16.5.1.

Works again.

You wrote:

I am using XCode 14.1 and an iPhone XR on iOS 16.5.1. According to Apple's docs[1] XCode 14.3.1 supports iOS 16.4

But that does not say Xcode 14.1 supports iOS 16.5.1

So advice: upgrade to Xcode 14.2 at least.

Opaque error when trying to test app on physical iPhone

Q