Xcode Canvas Simulator cause multiple diagnosticd processes to run and 100% CPU

The Xcode Canvas Simulator (for Xcode 14 and even 15 ..beta 6) cause multiple springboard and diagnosticd processes to run at nearly 100% CPU , cause the MacBook M1 to heat. This happens every time. This is usually triggered after the Canvas show an error which live previewing the code as I edit it.

I have tried clearing the derived data but it doesn't seem to help. This happens with all projects. I am unable to use live previews because of this issue.

The are often other processes with the string Poster in them. Like PhotosPosterProvider , CollectionsPoster , ExtragalacticPoster running high on usage at the same time.

Answered by Developer Tools Engineer in 774761022

FYI: This is fixed in iOS 17.2, which is in Xcode 15.1

I have the same (or similar) issue. SpringBoard getting over 100% CPU load and the computer is overheating when I launch Xcode. Workaround, which seem to work quite well, is to Force Quit SpringBoard in Activity Monitor every time I start Xcode session. Then the process is reinstated, but with the normal usage.

I run Xcode: Version 15.0.1 (15A507) My computer: MacBook Air M1, 16GB, macOS Sonoma, 14.1.1

I can confirm that the problem with Xcode preview still persists. However, with simulators, you can avoid this by selecting the GPU as 'Prefer Integrated GPU'

Accepted Answer

FYI: This is fixed in iOS 17.2, which is in Xcode 15.1

Xcode Canvas Simulator cause multiple diagnosticd processes to run and 100% CPU

Q