iOS 17 Companion watch app not installing on device during development

Prior to updating, during development of my ios app with watch os companion app, the watch app would install itself onto the watch every time i built the ios app.

Since updating, it no longer does this. No code has changed.

I have tried resetting the watch, reconnecting, clearing support files, restarting, etc.

Any one else been experiencing this? It totally breaks the development workflow.

What version of Watch is it, and what version of watchOS is on it?

In the bar at the top of the Xcode window (not the menu bar), there's your iOS app target, then the iPhone it's going be deployed to. Click that target dropdown and see if there are any messages next to your Watch.

I can deploy to my iPhone 14 Pro Max on iOS 16.4 and an iPhone 15 Pro on iOS 17.0.2, but I can't deploy to my Series 8 Watch 45mm (paired with the iPhone 15 Pro) with watchOS 9.6.2 because Xcode says it has a lower version of watchOS than the target, but the target is watchOS 9.0 so it's a bug in Xcode in my case. Perhaps it's the same for you?

Are there any messages in the target dropdown? How about in the Devices & Simulators window when you select your Watch?

iOS 17 Companion watch app not installing on device during development

Q