Integrate performance profiling in another application

We're planning to integrate performance profiling tool into our own Application. The standard tool is Xcode Instruments, which is great but requires Xcode to be installed. I have couple of queries related to that.

1. Is there a way to use Instruments without clients needing to install Xcode?
  2. If not, then can we include Xcode installation as part of my application installation in the customer machine?
Answered by DTS Engineer in 788587022

There's no supported way for you to use Instruments without installing Xcode. If you'd like us to consider making that possible, please file an enhancement request using Feedback Assistant. Once you file the request, please post the FB number here.

If you're not familiar with how to file enhancement requests, take a look at Bug Reporting: How and Why?

Your second question is not a technical one, so I am unable to provide an answer. You may wish to discuss it with your legal counsel.

There's no supported way for you to use Instruments without installing Xcode. If you'd like us to consider making that possible, please file an enhancement request using Feedback Assistant. Once you file the request, please post the FB number here.

If you're not familiar with how to file enhancement requests, take a look at Bug Reporting: How and Why?

Your second question is not a technical one, so I am unable to provide an answer. You may wish to discuss it with your legal counsel.

Hi @DTS Engineer , thanks for your response. I have created the Feedback Assistance request too. This is the number FB13806178.

Hi @DTS Engineer , I had one more query. Can we intergrate the trace command line utility in our application to do the profiling at customer side, till the time we get Xcode Instruments as separate executable? Something like this in terminal.```

sudo trace record test1.atrc --plan profile --compress

Hi @DTS Engineer ,

We're using these commands:

trace record for generating system profiles osascript for pop-ups to get user’s machine password for admin privileges notifyutil to start/stop profiling scripts look like this:

osascript -e 'do shell script "trace record test.atrc --plan profile --compress --end-after-duration 100s --end-on-notification end_profiling" with administrator privileges'

// To generate .atrc file[which can be consumed by X-Code Instruments]

osascript -e 'do shell script "notifyutil -p end_profiling"'

These commands satisfy all our requirements. Now, we also want to know about the legal implications. Can we include these scripts inside our application and legally use them on customer machines to get profiling information and sudo password to run the trace tool?

Integrate performance profiling in another application

Q