My macOS TestFlight app keep deactivating its windows as if there's another invisible window in front

Has anyone else seen this happen with their macOS apps in TestFlight?

The situation:

When I launch my app that's been downloading via TestFlight.app, it often comes up with its main window deactivated.

Also, when I have open more than one window and close one, the other window doesn't come to front either.

In either case, activating the app or clicking into a window will activate it properly.

It feels as if there's another window that's not visible but somehow keeps getting activated.

I have this happen on two Macs running both Sonoma and Monterey.

Also, if I take the very same build that I had uploaded to TestFlight and run it directly, it works correctly. So I suspect that TestFlight somehow messes with my app's windows.

If you want to test this yourself: Get the app thru this link: https://findanyfile.app/TestFlight/

Then launch it. Often, the Find window will already come up without being active. Activate it, then open the Preferences window by typing cmd-comma. Then close the Prefs window with cmd-W. This should re-activate the Find window but will instead leave it deactivated, and none of the menu shortcuts (such as cmd-comma, cmd-N or cmd-Q) work. That's the bug.

I wonder how I can debug this to find a work-around for this odd behavior.

E.g, I'd like to see if there is indeed a semi-hidden window causing this. How would I do this? I could probably make a new TestFlight build that queries the app's windows array and logs it. But are there other ways to query an app's windows? I tried AppleScript, but since my app isn't scriptable, I only get an error -1728 for tell app "Find Any File" to get windows.

Answered by Thomas Tempelmann in 788823022

Nevermind this - it was indeed a bug in my code, but not where I looked. I have a helper app that may keep running in the background, and that is tied to the running app in a way that if they're not synched, like it is when the app is signed for TestFlight, it gets something wrong.

(Argh, this damn forum software lost my edit to the original post above after I submitted it because I had been logged out due to inactivity. Sonow I have to type it in again. Grrr!)

New findings:

1. When I close the Prefs window, the other window becomes briefly activated and then immediately deactivates.

2. I used CGWindowListCopyWindowInfo to compare the windows of the correctly vs the badly behaving app versions, and found no differences. So it's rather something where my window get explicitly deactivated. I have no such calls in my own code, though.

Accepted Answer

Nevermind this - it was indeed a bug in my code, but not where I looked. I have a helper app that may keep running in the background, and that is tied to the running app in a way that if they're not synched, like it is when the app is signed for TestFlight, it gets something wrong.

My macOS TestFlight app keep deactivating its windows as if there's another invisible window in front

Q