Tokens change without reason after updating to iOS 17.5.1

Some of our users encounter an issue after updating their iPhone/iPad to iOS 17.5.1.

The tokens passed in the Shield Configuration extension don't match the tokens they selected in my app using the FamilyPicker before updating to iOS 17.5.1. It seems the tokens changed for no reason. My app can't match the token from the ShieldConfigurationDataSource to any tokens stored on my end, causing my shield screens to turn blank. The same applies to tokens in the Device Activity Report extension.

The only workaround I've found is to tell affected users to unselect and reselect apps and websites to block in my app. This gets them new tokens from the FamilyActivityPicker, which solves the issue. However, for some users, the bug reoccurs a few days later. Tokens seem to change again, causing the same issue in the Shield Configuration extension.

I am not able to reproduce the issue on my test devices so I have no sysdiagnose to attach. However, this issue is affecting other screen time apps:

A change in iOS 17.5.1 must have triggered this behaviour. Could an Apple engineer give us any updates on this?

We had multiple reports of this exact issue as well from Opal users, we didn't open a bug report because we weren't able to reproduce the issue on our own devices 😢

I would also be very interested if this is a bug on our side (using the API wrong) or if this is something on Apple’s side.

Seeing multiple reports on this makes me think it’s more related to an Apple bug instead of individual bugs on our ends...

Tokens change without reason after updating to iOS 17.5.1

Q