10.13 MBP won't sleep/wake

When I put my MBP to sleep via menu bar or diaglog box(hold power for 5 secs, click "Sleep") it will go to sleep and wake up properly. When I close the lid or walk away from my MBP it will not wake. It will not wake becuase it has actually not gone to sleep. The SIL(sleep indicator light) will come on once sleep is indicated. It will not breathe, just solid on. When I open the lid it does darken a bit, like it's about to come back, but it won't!

Seperately the console app won' open so I can't get at the logs easily.

Machine: 2011 13" MBP 16GB/525SSD dirty install from 10.12

Accepted Reply

I was able to get this working again uing terminal.

In terminal:

pmset -g custom

Look at 'hibernate' mode and 'standby"

Hibernate mode should be '3' and Standby should be '1' (my standby was set to '0')

Change 'standby' to '1' using - sudo pmset standby 1

My MBP now correctly goes in to standby when closing the lid and wakes when opening it.

Replies

Same problem here Mac Book 2011 17". Can set it too sleep, can't wake up. Parameters as meantinoned above.

It's worked twice now. That's twice more than ever before with os 10.13.

MBPro 13", Early 2011

This worked for my Early 2011 13-inch MacBook Pro. Thanks!!!

Just a hint. I thought this was my issue as well. Turns out, it was the LED backlight that wasnt turning on, while the computer was waking up. I was able to verify this by shining a light through the apple logo on the back of my display, and also by connecting an external display.

no "standby" item in my list:

Battery Power:

lidwake 1

ttyskeepawake 1

hibernatemode 3

gpuswitch 2

hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage

displaysleep 0

sleep 0

acwake 0

halfdim 1

sms 1

lessbright 1

disksleep 10

AC Power:

lidwake 1

ttyskeepawake 1

hibernatemode 3

gpuswitch 2

womp 0

displaysleep 0

networkoversleep 0

sleep 0

acwake 0

halfdim 1

sms 1

disksleep 0

13" Late 2011 MBP 16GB Memory and SSD Drive

Running High Sierra Public Beta 17A291m

I had the close lid issue as well and I resolved this by setting hibernate mode to 0, I tried all the usual stuff first - SMC etc. No luck. I guess I could try hiberbate 3 and stanby 1 but I don't want to mess with it. The only downside to 0 is that it doesn't dump RAM to disk. Everything stays in RAM and if your battery dies, unsaved stuff will be lost becasue it wasn't written to the SSD. Upside, it wakes up F'n fast.

Question, are these hiberbate settings part of the OS or hardware firmware, that is will the next beta overwrite these changes I made?

EDIT - I couldn't help myself and wanted to try out hibernate 3 and standy 1 (vs. 0 for both which worked). It worked as well.

EDIT#2: It 3/1 didn't work once the machine went into a deep sleep, about an hour or so after lid close. Went back to 0/0. All is good.

Battery Power:

lidwake 1

standbydelay 4200

standby 1

ttyskeepawake 1

hibernatemode 3

displaysleep 2

sleep 10

acwake 0

halfdim 1

sms 1

lessbright 1

disksleep 10

AC Power:

lidwake 1

standbydelay 4200

standby 1

ttyskeepawake 1

hibernatemode 3

womp 1

displaysleep 10

networkoversleep 0

sleep 10

acwake 0

halfdim 1

sms 1

disksleep 10

The pmset setting ARE correct on my MBP running HS public beta) and it does go into sleep mode correctly on lid close (ie breathing LED). As has already been posted tonytellez, on openign the lid the display backlight is NOT turning back on correctly. I verified mine with the flashlight as well as using MacID to lock and unlock my MBP plus I could adjust the keyboard backlight. The only solution I have found is to force a powerdown and reboot.

Same here, there was no "standby" on my list.

There actually is a problem with the sleep function because I know that when I close the lid, the computer never goes to sleep. I can hear the hard drive still spin, and if I leave the computer for long enough, the battery drains to 0%.

While the settings did not work for me, the beta 3 update has worked is working better, but still crashes occasionally (MacBook Pro, 15 inch, Late 2011).

For me the above 3/1 did not work all the time. Sometimes it did and sometimes it woud not "wake up" from a lid close. Setting Hibernate and Standby to 0 has worked consistently with no issues. Late 2011 13" MBP.

Worked a treat for me (mid 2012 MBP)... I had already drone PRAM/SMC first.

Same issue here.

I had this issue and will try this too. Noticed this in macos High Sierr beta 2 and again in beta 3, have a bug raised out there for this as well

UDPATE - Worked for me as well, thanks !

Sorted! Fixed my 13" MacBook Pro which was not waking after lid closure resulting in having to do a force restart. Many thanks for the post.