Subscription outside of apple

Hi,

Im not sure how this works as apple seem to take Millions of $$$ a week off apps but its very hard to get email replies, a straight answer or any information.

Im running a non profit weather website that im going to start charging $3 a month subscription to cover costs of hosting and also using the money to install 25 weather stations around the 1000km area and more weather development research and also to build an app.

I have an Egateway with my bank ANZ who will making the subscriptions through there so its easier for me and it wont be international payments either, just local.

The idea is they pay a subscription and it then sends them a code, they log into the basic site with the code to access the whole advanced site.

When i get the app made in a month or so i want the code to also be used on that too to access the advanced.

This is where its a bit gray.

If they dont have subscription from the site, can i put a buy subscription in the app which leads them to the payment gateway of my bank?

thanks for any input.

Would you classify that submittal as a 'reader app'?

No you cannot. You must use IAP with Apple to unlock code in the app. If your app is only 'displaying' information that is downloaded from somewhere else it might qualify as a 'reader app'. IN that case you can charge outside the app but you can't send the user to buy the subscription from within the app. Here is the guideline linked to by KMT:

3.1.3 “Reader” Apps: Apps may allow a user to access previously purchased content or content subscriptions (specifically: magazines, newspapers, books, audio, music, video, access to professional databases, VoIP, cloud storage, and approved services such as educational apps that manage student grades and schedules), as well as consumable items in multi-platform games, provided that you agree not to directly or indirectly target iOS users to use a purchasing method other than in-app purchase, and your general communications about other purchasing methods are not designed to discourage use of in-app purchase.

Subscription outside of apple

Q