Big Sur installation stuck

Install has been stuck for four hours on the Apple screen, with status bar at 100%...

I tried rebooting and status bar quickly went to 100% and again stuck...

tried to turn on verbose mode (all the ctrl keys and w, Apple key and v or l) and got nothing...
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of Georgevicbell Down vote post of Georgevicbell
110k views
  • same here except mine gets stuck at 14% at the installer i installed catlilina after my hard drive had removed my full macOS partition so i wanted to dual boot my mac and this issue hasn't been resolved

• Same is happening to my mac. Is there any solution to it yet. Please help.

• Did you find a solution? Mine’s been stuck for 9 hours. I’ve tried to do the Option power up and selected Hard Drive and it still gets stuck.

Replies

Running into the same issue with the Release version.

Apple screen with status bar stuck at 99%, even after having it run overnight. Fans are full on.

Running on MacBookPro14,1.
If I remember well, system was on Catalina 10.15.6, which is not the latest release.

EDIT: after a forced rebooting it went straight to the login screen and everything seems to be working fine
  • Yep this worked for me too.

Add a Comment
Experience the same. Transition from the latest Catalina on 13’’ late 2016 MBP. I was able to SafeBoot, it opened in Big Sur.

I removed Adobe Synchronizer from login items, WorldClock app. Changed back display from scaled to defaults and rebooted. It rebooted.

however, what I found next is App Updates not working, but this is another story.
I am having the same issue, rebooted my Mac and was still on Catalina so had to start my upgrade again. This is extremely unacceptable Apple!
I have the latest generation MacBook Air. Same problem. I did a hard shutdown (held down power button/fingerprint button till turned off). Waited a minute and pushed power button. Came up at same 99% installing screen. After another minute though without doing anything the login screen came up. Now all is well. Big Sur loaded.
Stuck on 30% for several hours too. Macbook Air 2015.
Exactly same problem, Stuck on 30% for several hours too. Macbook Air December -2015. Did a hard stop and started again. Update finished in couple of minutes after this.
Same problem here i am stuck at 99% with no apparent change for 7 hours... macbook pro 2020
Same issue with my iMac 27” 2017, stuck on 10% computer seems to reboot automatically after freezing but sits on the same spot.
I have tried to hard-restart but just freezes in the same spot.
Tried connecting the computer to Ethernet for download speed, but no difference.
My colleague encountered the same problem. He tried to restart with safe mode, but failed. So he tried resetting NVRAM by the following steps:
  1. Shut down his Mac 

2. Hold down Option + Command + P + R for about 20 seconds

3. Restart his iMac.

Finally, the upgraded was finished. Hopes it helps.
checkout this article: setapp.com/how-to/fix-macos-big-sur-issues .
One 2012 macbook air frooze in the post-install process. Turning it off/on helped luckily.
On 12"macbook (2018) frozoze at 99% of the installation. Luckily it continued after switch off/on.

Still very unbecoming to apple standards.

I hope they understand and accept this to be their problem and act on it.
Any solutions?
I have the same problem with my macbook pro 2020, I tried hard reboot, tried reset NVRAM but nothing helps me. I am lost 1 working day and this is very critical to me. Apple maybe you answer?
Same thing happened to my MacBook Air 2015. I had to hard re-boot and that forced it through luckily.
SOLUTION (I was on the phone with apple support for a half hour and they walked me through it)
  • Hard shut-down your MacBook

• Turn on MacBook while holding option+command+R to enter recovery mode

• When prompted connect to Wifi, choose your language and log into your account

• It should prompt you with like six options. I first went into disc utility and ran first aid on all the internal drives (two for me). I don't think this is essential but may be a safe bet

• After running first aid select the option to reinstall Big Sur, it should be already downloaded and then will just reinstall

This is what I did and everything is working fine, I waited about 8 hours with the installer stuck on 100%. Hope this helps!!
I had the same issue on my 2016 MacBook Pro. Loading bar got stuck at around 95% about 10 hours (over night). I did a hard shutdown (hold power button/fingerprint button until it turns off) and restartet it after about 3min. Then it turned on just fine in Big Sur.

Thanks to the support and tipps given in this forum!