After Installing MacOS Big Sur latest beta update, My mac is showing battery service required warning in battery Icon.

Hi, I installed and update the macOS Big Sur latest available beta and after installation is done, It is showing me battery service required warning in my battery icon, My mac is new and it's been hardly 5-6 months and used casually.
  • Is it the same with macOS Monterey?

Add a Comment

Replies

Same problem here.
I have a macbookpro 13" from 2016. After updating to big sur, the battery is draining very fast while using Chrome and Mail (!!). Even when plugged it's not charging, I have to turn off all apps for the battery to charge and when it does it takes forever to do so. I changed all my cables thinking it was a hardware issue but my laptop was working perfectly before the OS update. Battery health is shown as normal but i have to leave the computer charging all the time if i want to be able to work a full day with video editing or photoshop.
Hi, Don't know if it will change something in reporting the same issue, but I experience the same probleme on a MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017, 2,9 GHz Intel Core i7 4 cores, 16 Go 2133 MHz LPDDR3)

This mac cannot be used more that 1 hour without being charged. Battery shows Service Recommended. Battery with 563 cycles and a design capacity of 82% ....

This appears only after big sur upgrade
In November I updated from Mac OS Catalina to Big Sur. I regret doing it since I've run into many problems. For starters I have a Macbook Pro 2018 15-inch. I have noticed my fans running more often and getting heated easily, also growing in frequency. The battery life is atrocious to boot. I used to have pretty good battery life on Catalina but now it drains like the snap of ones fingers since installing Big Sur. I have to make sure I have my charger handy or else it would die and not allow me to get any college work done. I've noticed a lot of users have also faced this problem and similar problems. I hope to have it solved soon so our products aren't bugging out anymore. Please fix this asap!
I upgraded my 2017 MacBook Pro to Big Sur a few weeks ago and now my battery says Service Required. I only have 257 cycles on it. Out of warranty, Apple says it will cost USD$200+ to replace. Now my daughter's MacBook Pro is draining the same way. This is a very expensive glitch! Apple please cover the cost of all these ruined batteries.
I am experiencing the same issue and I have not updated to my 2017 MacBook Pro from macOS Catalina 10.15.7 to Big Sur. Battery cycle count is 215. Battery stays at 1% with service recommended. I have not had any major issues with the MacBook until now.

My wife’s 2020 MacBook Pro has the same exact issue! Please fix!!!
DO NOT LET YOUR MACBOOK SHUT DOWN! IT WONT TURN ON.

I had the same issue!

I have a MacBook Pro (2016) and after updating to BigSur that same message appeared on my settings. Two hours later my computer completely died and it hasn’t turned on since then. It seemed as if updating to the Big Sur software damaged the battery lifestyle. I tried getting a hold of Apple Customer service but they aren’t being helpful and tried claiming the issue is not related to the software update. So really, the only thing left is to replace the battery or buy a new one, if they won’t fix it for free at the store :/
I am having the same problem with my Mac Book Air mind 2013, my battery is down so quickly, please update this soon asap. please apple please
Same issue. 2017 MB12, battery service warning after upgrade to Big Sur. The battery is able to charge normally.
Same here.
A MacBook Pro 13" 2017 touchbar with only 50 cycles and 97% life remain of the battery, stucked at 1% charge rate, service required warning, the manufacturing date of battery became 1970-01-01. Tried resetting SMC and PRAM but problems remained.
I am having a similar issue after upgrading to Big Sur. Battery shows Service Recommended and shuts down as soon as I unplug it. When plugged in, the battery won't charge and the power source is the power adapter. My battery cycle count is 132.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports)
2 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5, 8 GB ram, Intel Iris Graphics 540 1536 MB
Same issue here. Won't charge, stuck at 85% with the Service Recommended error and only occurred after the latest update (Big Sur 11.0.1). I have an early 2014 MacBook Air with 308 charge cycles. I hope the issue a un update soon!
I have the same issue. Updated to Big Sur few days ago and now I can't turn on my Macbook. And I have big exams in few days! 😭 RIP
I updated two weeks ago and after a trip to the Genius Bar, four Apple Care sessions and a third party shop and I now own a $2000 brick of garbage.

My unit (early 2019) will not recognize a charger (it always shows charging even while unplugged). Unit all of the sudden it goes to 5% and powers off. We have tried everything. But without a SMC reset every few hours the unit is a brick.

Here are all the steps we have taken and are no closer to a resolution.

Use Time Machine to go back and restore - maybe but after the update all my Time Machine files have disappeared.
Restoring to original settings - nope as the unit when trying to restore can't find its own hard drive.
Reinstall Big Sur - each time the problem gets worse and the SMC reset is required more often.
Reinstall Catalina from an external hard drive - fat chance - the unit no longer recognizes external drives (after the last stab at reinstalling Big Sur)
Try a new charger - four times and nope.
Have Genius bar do diagnostics and see if it is hardware - no hardware problems detected - odd when they see the unit says it is charging while not plugged in. Big Sur must have magic in it.

The latest was taking it to an Apple Certified shop (recommended by Apple) - they found that the unit will see SD cards, but nothing else you plug in - so they are suggesting downloading Catalina to an SD then trying to boot from that. BUT of course Apple Care and Apple Warranty does not cover software issues - and since this is a software issue ... I have to pay out of pocket. Seriously Apple screwed this up and will not cover fixing it!

Best part is when I take it in to fix it - the unit no longer shows on Find My.

Out of principle I just can't see paying someone to un-Apple my computer.

Apple needs to quit lying about Big Sur and do the right thing. Admit it is a total failure and roll it back.

There is an update that just became available - should I trust it?
Also having problems after the update. Not the same issue, but my 2018 MacBook air has been running EXTREMELY hot since installation.
I got exactly the same issue, system is hot and battery is draining very fast, and it said my battery's capacity is significantly reduced. It couldn't charge to 100%. My MacBook Pro is 2018.