MacOS Big Sur Lagging

Hello! Help please, after updating the system to Big Sur, my MacBook Pro 13 began to slow down, previously there were no such problems.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
2,7 GHz 2‑core processor Intel Core i5
8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of Seplaz Down vote post of Seplaz
152k views
  • I'm glad it's not just me. Was beginning to think there was something wrong with my Mac. I bought the i9 iMac and really spec'd it out; built to order. But on Big Sur I get stutter animations. If I slowly move my mouse around the cursor is jittery. Almost like it's a bluetooth error but I know it's not. Watching videos and some of them will stutter too. Scrolling stutters. I have to shutdown my computer and restart to clear it up.

And my Apple Wireless Keyboard is not wireless anymore. I have it plugged directly in with a lightning cable because trying to type on it wirelessly would lag and mess up.

This is pretty ridiculous. I hope macOS 12 fixes this.

• It works! mcbkpro 13 late 13 2.4 i5 8G ram BigSur(unfortunately)

• iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 AMD Radeon R9 M390 2 GB

The 11.5.1 update caused video/trackpad stuttering. I also lost my directly-connected Dell monitor (iMac thunderbolt to Dell DisplayPort) video. Turning off the Dell fixed the stuttering. Moving the thunderbolt connection from the iMac to my CalDigit hub fixed the second monitor issue. Is it possible to update or reset the iMac's thunderbolt port? I've reset the PRAM so far...

` Vendor Name: Apple Inc.

Device Name: iMac

UID: 0x0001001901E3F1E0

Route String: 0

Firmware Version: 28.1

Domain UUID: 3D365C05-5471-5A50-BA61-960AEA98039C

Port:

Link Status: 0x2

Speed: Up to 20 Gb/s x1

Current Link Width: 0x2

Receptacle: 1

Cable Firmware Version: 0.1.22

Link Controller Firmware Version: 0.16.0 `

Replies

yes, the interface ceases to slow down when switching graphics - well, the question is why should I pay for the laziness of the developers with the laptop autonomy by using radeon videocard
Hi,

same for me, how to fix it ?

2,7 GHz Intel Core i5
Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 Mo
Going to battery under system preferences and unchecking Automatic Graphics Switching fixed this for me.

Going to battery under system preferences and unchecking Automatic Graphics Switching fixed this for me.

还真TM可以!!!!(worked like a charm !!!!)
ever since I updated to big Sur ive been having terrible lag as well. theres a lot new features I like with the ui and looks of the OS but when scrolling, switching apps its completely rubbish

2 month old 2020 13in macbook pro 16g Ram and i7

using a dell 27in S2719DGF currently overclocking the monitor @155hz and its crazy choppy and raggidy when I switch between apps and scrolling through pdfs. especially when using goodnotes, while scrolling through notes it looks like im using a 1990s hp

Hi,
Even i cant watch videos on youtube at 720p. Forget 1080p. It is so lagging. Updating to big sur was a big mistake.
Macbook air early 2015
You said : "Going to battery under system preferences and unchecking Automatic Graphics Switching fixed this for me.".

Where that ??? There is nothing in battery preference with Big Sur !!

Who can help please ? :-(

If you are experiencing video lagging try resetting your SMC:
  1. Power off MAC and leave the plug attached

2. Hold down Shift + Ctrl + Option and Power On button for 10 Secs.

3. Release buttons and then power on mac.

This should remedy most issues with the new update Happy Crimbo.

Tam

After installing big sur, the animation started lagging when scrolling in Safari / notification center. Does anyone have a similar problem? Scrolling occurs in some jerks, and this is on a standard MacBook trackpad. When scrolling through applications or scrolling through the Launchpad, some animation problems are also noticeable . folders in the Launchpad open with some slowing down.
MBP 13 2020 i5 16gb ram ,1tb ssd.
When restoring to Catalina there are no such problems
Hello, Thx very much for the solution : .

If you are experiencing video lagging try resetting your SMC:

• Power off MAC and leave the plug attached

• Hold down Shift + Ctrl + Option and Power On button for 10 Secs.

• Release buttons and then power on mac.

This should remedy most issues with the new update Happy Crimbo.
It fix it for me !

2,7 GHz Intel Core i5
Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 Mo

Macbook Pro 16", typing lag with intel gpu. Safari scrolling lag with both gpu's. All started after big sur update. Hopefully fix is coming.
I found partial solution for me. You need to reduce mouse polling rate to 125-500 in mouse program. Example: Synapse 3 for Razer Mouse. But Synapse 3 dont support macOS, and i reduce this setting via Windows. (has just been installed for some work tasks). I hope its help for you guys.
The SMC reset worked for me. I was skeptical, but the video performance after doing that is now what it used to be before updating to Big Sur. I'm using Mac Air 13 inch, early 2015

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201295

This really works!
Just go System Preferences -> Batter -> And Battery in left side menu.
I already wanted to reinstall whole system...

Confirming that the SMC reset made a massive difference for me.