MacOS Big Sur Lagging

Hello! Help please, after updating the system to Big Sur, my MacBook Pro 13 began to slow down, previously there were no such problems.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
2,7 GHz 2‑core processor Intel Core i5
8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of Seplaz Down vote post of Seplaz
152k views
  • I'm glad it's not just me. Was beginning to think there was something wrong with my Mac. I bought the i9 iMac and really spec'd it out; built to order. But on Big Sur I get stutter animations. If I slowly move my mouse around the cursor is jittery. Almost like it's a bluetooth error but I know it's not. Watching videos and some of them will stutter too. Scrolling stutters. I have to shutdown my computer and restart to clear it up.

And my Apple Wireless Keyboard is not wireless anymore. I have it plugged directly in with a lightning cable because trying to type on it wirelessly would lag and mess up.

This is pretty ridiculous. I hope macOS 12 fixes this.

• It works! mcbkpro 13 late 13 2.4 i5 8G ram BigSur(unfortunately)

• iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 AMD Radeon R9 M390 2 GB

The 11.5.1 update caused video/trackpad stuttering. I also lost my directly-connected Dell monitor (iMac thunderbolt to Dell DisplayPort) video. Turning off the Dell fixed the stuttering. Moving the thunderbolt connection from the iMac to my CalDigit hub fixed the second monitor issue. Is it possible to update or reset the iMac's thunderbolt port? I've reset the PRAM so far...

` Vendor Name: Apple Inc.

Device Name: iMac

UID: 0x0001001901E3F1E0

Route String: 0

Firmware Version: 28.1

Domain UUID: 3D365C05-5471-5A50-BA61-960AEA98039C

Port:

Link Status: 0x2

Speed: Up to 20 Gb/s x1

Current Link Width: 0x2

Receptacle: 1

Cable Firmware Version: 0.1.22

Link Controller Firmware Version: 0.16.0 `

Replies

I'm having the same problem. I have a Macbook 2019 and the keyboard noticeably lags since I updated to Big Sur. Please address this on your next update. I write all day on my mack and the number of typos has increased ten fold. It's infuriating.

Best
Same. I am on a new M1 MacBook Air and certain websites have terrible scrolling. I'm glad it sounds like its the OS. I was about to be very disappointed with the M1
same here! I have a mackbook pro 13inch 2017. Updated to Big Sur last week. Started noticing lags with typing esp on text message, load speed, etc.
Please help I'm a med student I need my laptop esp with things online these days.
I've been encountering the the laggy keyboard input issue on my 2020 13" MacBook Pro since the latest Big Sur update. I'm using a Magic Keyboard and have just noticed that the issue isn't happening on the actual MacBook keyboard so my guess is it's a Bluetooth issue. I've just switched my wireless Magic Keyboard for a wired one and the lag issue is gone.
In fact, apple can't fix interface lags and jerking arrows, input delay, delay in drawing the interface in the new macbooks pro 16 inch from the moment of their release - it is unacceptable that the device for so much money can not peform normally - any cheap laptop does not have input delay and cursor jerking/stuttering - if you switch to discrete graphics all problems disappear - well, apple is indifferent to these problems, it has long ago turned into a money making company - since the release of this laptop, everyone I know who has the same laptop has the same problems with it - the tone of the reports is open about this problem - and still there is no fix and apple does not want to recall these broken laptops - then that it earns money and does not care.
The problem is actually in the video card intel hd graphics 630 - when you do not do anything with the interface - its frequency is 0 - and when you open a new window or print a video card does not have time to increase the frequency from 0 to 300/400 mhz - apple need not lower the frequency to 0 - but they can't do it because then the autonomy will suffer - hence the conclusion - there is a design error of a new macbook or an unoptimized ui which at the moment requires a lot of resources - there are no such problems in windows via bootcamp.
But, it's not really our problem we paid a lot of money for a properly working device.
I too have suffered from this immediately after the upgrade (Macbook Pro 13 Early 2015) and restarting the computer fixed it.. phew 😅
I too have suffered this problem, also issues with the mail app, its terrible, I am using a Macbook air m1
Same issues, using MacBook Air 2017.
  • Updating to the Big Sur slowed down the booting speed 2X or 3X.

• Photo Booth Camera doesn't work

• Ram consumption has peaked up and is lagging the whole system for no reason

• Even the smallest of task is lagging, which never happened in the previous Mac versions

• Can't login to FaceTime and Messages app

• Due to the lag, even typing on keyboard is lagging

The widgets might be the reason the whole system lags. (I don't want those feature then)

System - MacBooks Air 2017 (i5, 8GB RAM, 128 GB)
MacBook Pro 13 2020 16gb. Everything runs slower this is very unprofessional.

It behaves like a completely different laptop.

Same of the issues are:
  • Websites have terrible scrolling.

• Unacceptable memory consumption.

Same here... Macbook pro 13 2015.

Its very laggy, even to just move the windows around
I've been experiencing the same. And experiencing stutters/lag on the 19' MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz i9 with 32GB .. So it's plaguing even the top-tier rig. I sent in a log to Apple, but basically there are stutters/lag whenever inputting text.. Like right now as I type this. And as the others have said when resizing windows.. It's not inhibiting me coding, but it's making it VERY frustrating.. especially after shelling out nearly 4k for this thing. I love the look and feel of Big Sur though so hopefully they can get this sorted out. I know developers can't snap a solution into existence, but some acknowledgement of working on the problem from Apple would be great.
Same here. MBP 2020 2GHz, quad i5, 16GB RAM. Immediately noticed the difference as soon as I upgraded to Big Sur in terms of "laggy" behaviour during general usage of the laptop. Resizing windows, typing, scrolling in safari, moving between desktops...basically everything. Was actually super content with the previous Catalina version, no gimmicks, no drama, no complaints about the OS since everything worked buttery smooth...I should've waited for the updated Big Sur version so that all these teething stages of new OS updates (especially for ones with massive overhaul such as Big Sur) get sorted out :(( For me it's definitely an OS issue (I hope, and it better be), I only bought this damn machine just over a month ago!

NOTE TO SELF: always wait for the version 2 of new tech /OS.
I am having also having this issue, particularly, with the Messages app. I get the pinwheel and/or terrible lag whenever I try to type a message in the app. This is my favorite feature and it is totally unusable! Wish everybody would just use WhatsApp now. Had the same problem with Catalina and hoped that Big Sur would correct this issue. Tried everything suggested. No joy.

MacBook Air (Retina, 13-inch, 2020)
1 .1 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i3
8 GB 3733 MHz LPDDR4X
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB
Hello everyone, I also have these problems on both my Macs since Big Sur (big mistake to update as soon as it got released). A lot of graphical stuttering when changing desktops, opening apps, and minimizing windows. Slow startup and shutdown. Also, every time I manually clean-restart it, it says that the Mac restarted because of a problem. It is kinda unacceptable after many months of testing, to be honest.

BTO iMac 27" 5K Retina 2017
Intel Core i7 4.2Ghz Quad-Core
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 580 8 GB
3,2 TB Fusion Drive

MacBook Pro 15" Retina Mid 2015
Intel Core i7 2.5Ghz Quad-Core
16 GB 1800 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2 GB
500 GB SSD Drive

Hope Apple solves this ASAP.

Regards,