MacOS Big Sur Lagging

Hello! Help please, after updating the system to Big Sur, my MacBook Pro 13 began to slow down, previously there were no such problems.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
2,7 GHz 2‑core processor Intel Core i5
8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of Seplaz Down vote post of Seplaz
152k views
  • I'm glad it's not just me. Was beginning to think there was something wrong with my Mac. I bought the i9 iMac and really spec'd it out; built to order. But on Big Sur I get stutter animations. If I slowly move my mouse around the cursor is jittery. Almost like it's a bluetooth error but I know it's not. Watching videos and some of them will stutter too. Scrolling stutters. I have to shutdown my computer and restart to clear it up.

And my Apple Wireless Keyboard is not wireless anymore. I have it plugged directly in with a lightning cable because trying to type on it wirelessly would lag and mess up.

This is pretty ridiculous. I hope macOS 12 fixes this.

• It works! mcbkpro 13 late 13 2.4 i5 8G ram BigSur(unfortunately)

• iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 AMD Radeon R9 M390 2 GB

The 11.5.1 update caused video/trackpad stuttering. I also lost my directly-connected Dell monitor (iMac thunderbolt to Dell DisplayPort) video. Turning off the Dell fixed the stuttering. Moving the thunderbolt connection from the iMac to my CalDigit hub fixed the second monitor issue. Is it possible to update or reset the iMac's thunderbolt port? I've reset the PRAM so far...

` Vendor Name: Apple Inc.

Device Name: iMac

UID: 0x0001001901E3F1E0

Route String: 0

Firmware Version: 28.1

Domain UUID: 3D365C05-5471-5A50-BA61-960AEA98039C

Port:

Link Status: 0x2

Speed: Up to 20 Gb/s x1

Current Link Width: 0x2

Receptacle: 1

Cable Firmware Version: 0.1.22

Link Controller Firmware Version: 0.16.0 `

Replies

Same here... even mouse gets laggy sometimes

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
3,3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5
16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB
Same on MBP 2015, after update it is impossible to play even Diablo III on lowest settings, any option to rollback to previous MacOS?
Macbook Pro 2020 after big sur update horribly laggy. I used to play Dota 2 on MBP late 2013 without any issues and now this 7 year old game is unplayable on latest MBP that cost me 2500€. This is a joke, I am seriously thinking to finally switch to windows again

A similar problem. slows down graphics, scrolling, animation.

lags when typing and erasing text, lags in any applications, especially noticeable when scrolling through pages in safari.
MBP 13 2020 i5 16gb-ram
Same macbook as OP and Dota 2 is basically impossible to play after updating. Constantly hangs and/or freezes in game.
2019 iMac 21.5 Slow with almost everything, login, reboot, app launch, random lag within apps. Games run like ***.
I'm also having lag problems all of a sudden. I play The Sims 4, and prior to this, it has run beautifully. I've been able to switch between apps, run multiple things at a time, use Apple Music, use Safari, chat on iMessage, whatever. Suddenly, if I'm on the game, I can't so much as type a word without a multiple-second lag. All the fluidity between programs that I loved so much is flat-out gone.

Furthermore, even when that game is closed, my computer just doesn't run as well. It runs hot, and can't multitask like it used to be able to. The activity monitor says that, at worst, I'm using approximately 54% of my system at a given time. This wasn't an issue until Big Sur was downloaded onto my computer. I'm seriously considering going back to Catalina until it gets resolved. Why do we need a new OS every year, anyway?
MBP with i9 and 16gb and my MacBook is lagging when I log in. Never did this until the Big Sur update.
to narrow it down, please look in /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports and analyse .diag reports,

what i did notice is that Big Sur has issues with com.apple.AppleUserHIDDrivers, as you move the mouse, that driver uses a lot of cpu, triggering the cpu limit that in turn starts to run diagnostics further worsening the issue.

games are currently unplayable on Big Sur unless you reduce polling rate of your mouse.
Hello everyone.
I too have the following problems after upgrading to Big Sure:
  • Lag cursor

• blurry login image

It seems I solved them by simply turning off the FileVault.
Hopefully, Apple will release an update right away.
That's disappointing. Big Sur gets off on the wrong foot...

Same symptoms on MBP 2017 i5 2.3GHz, 8GB LPDDR3, Iris Plus 640.
My iMac was running beautifully until Big Sur, it is now running like an arthritic snail. Takes ages to boot up, delay in everything I try to do! My partner has a Mac Mini and he has experienced no problems at all. A solution please Apple!
Same problem. All my usual apps are sludge at the moment. I play DOTA 2 as well and it's totally unplayable. Hope they can patch this soon.
Apps on iMac 2019 4K are also lagging. Not the same experience as with the previous versions of MacOS.
Find a solution that works for me: Reset SMC:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Thats it! Mac is back!
  • Resetting SMC worked for my 2018 Mac Mini also. So far at least.

Add a Comment