MacOS Big Sur Lagging

Hello! Help please, after updating the system to Big Sur, my MacBook Pro 13 began to slow down, previously there were no such problems.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
2,7 GHz 2‑core processor Intel Core i5
8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of Seplaz Down vote post of Seplaz
152k views
  • I'm glad it's not just me. Was beginning to think there was something wrong with my Mac. I bought the i9 iMac and really spec'd it out; built to order. But on Big Sur I get stutter animations. If I slowly move my mouse around the cursor is jittery. Almost like it's a bluetooth error but I know it's not. Watching videos and some of them will stutter too. Scrolling stutters. I have to shutdown my computer and restart to clear it up.

And my Apple Wireless Keyboard is not wireless anymore. I have it plugged directly in with a lightning cable because trying to type on it wirelessly would lag and mess up.

This is pretty ridiculous. I hope macOS 12 fixes this.

• It works! mcbkpro 13 late 13 2.4 i5 8G ram BigSur(unfortunately)

• iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 AMD Radeon R9 M390 2 GB

The 11.5.1 update caused video/trackpad stuttering. I also lost my directly-connected Dell monitor (iMac thunderbolt to Dell DisplayPort) video. Turning off the Dell fixed the stuttering. Moving the thunderbolt connection from the iMac to my CalDigit hub fixed the second monitor issue. Is it possible to update or reset the iMac's thunderbolt port? I've reset the PRAM so far...

` Vendor Name: Apple Inc.

Device Name: iMac

UID: 0x0001001901E3F1E0

Route String: 0

Firmware Version: 28.1

Domain UUID: 3D365C05-5471-5A50-BA61-960AEA98039C

Port:

Link Status: 0x2

Speed: Up to 20 Gb/s x1

Current Link Width: 0x2

Receptacle: 1

Cable Firmware Version: 0.1.22

Link Controller Firmware Version: 0.16.0 `

Replies

Still having major lag on every operation– boot, login, cursor move, spotlight search, app launch, force quit, shut down– on both of my devices (maxed out 2017 13” MacBook Pro and 2019 27” iMac).

On my MacBook Pro, it went so far as to full break my disk– sent me into a boot/login/restart loop multiple times, rendering me unable to use my laptop at all.

Zapping both with full NVRAM/PRAM and SMC resets gives me a subtle, temporary improvement, before having to do it again. Booting in recovery mode and running first aid on all my partitions helped some, but also temporary. Reinstalling OS X from boot recovery helped my MacBook Pro, gonna try on my iMac now.

This is atrocious, Apple. Jobs wouldn’t have allowed this sh*t.
When I’m typing on my 2019 iMac 5k, it takes a long time for the letters to appear on the screen after I finish typing.

Hi! Videos across YouTube, Twitch and Netflix were all lagging for me after the Big Sur update on my 2017 13" Air, this is how I fixed it!

Disabled VP9 decoder and VP9 decoder on battery
Reset SMC
Reset NVRAM and PRAM

Hope it works for you guys!
I have the same problem with my

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)
2,6 GHz Intel Core i7 6 core
16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
AMD Radeon Pro 5300M (Intel UHD Graphics 630)

This is a huge problem for my productivity. A great Mac ruined after the installation of bigsur.
I tried to reset PRAM and SMC, but the problem is here!!!

Please help me...

Same here .... Macbook Air 13. Playing league of legends is very bad.... i even can not pick my heroes ... always circles .... everything freezes until someone picks something .... very bad bug .... how you release such thing ?!? Apple this is not 1984 ! You must immediately pull back the update until you fixed it properly .....
I'm running a 2020 8 core i9 MBP 16'and it is bogging my machine down too. The worst is texting. It was the same issue I was having on my iPhone XS until the update a couple of days ago so I am hopeful they can solve this for Big Sur soon. I am happy with some of the new gadgetry of Big Sur but the performance lag certainly hasn't been worth the improvements
Also a side note, if anyone has learned how to turn off the notification that air pods are available please let me know. I wear mine all day for work bit don't always want them paired with my MBP and the non stop notification is driving me mental. If someone knows how to make it stop fantastic and if there isn't currently a way to do it Apple please make one
Same issue from my macbook pro.
Same here!!!

MacBook Air (MID-2013)
1,7 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB

please do something !!! I have to downgrade to Catalina :(
Same here.... Changing applications is very laggy. MacBook Pro 13 2020
Programs like Safari and Psd run slower.....
I didn't pay 1700 euros for this!

Edit: Many system animations are laggy too.
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of MDMA Down vote reply of MDMA
Wow. I just updated to Big Sur on my 2017 MacBook Air and it is very lagging. Doing almost anything. Really noticeable on videos, like YouTube. But it is lagging with simple things like typing. It’s almost like it is still in beta. Catalina ran very well on this MacBook. I was surprised to see so many people having the exact same issues.
I have a macPro Late 2012 with 12-Core Xeon, 64GB RAM, Dual AMD FirePro D700 with 6GB each, and have the same problems.

After booting up, the graphics is ok for about 30 Minutes or so. But the longer I use it, the slower and more sluggish everything gets. Any window animation, scrolling through menus, they all are extremely sluggish.

macOS 10.0.1 (final; not beta). I hope this gets fixed soon, otherwise it is a nightmare..
And yes, I have tried everything, including resetting PRAM/VRAM and SCM.
Same here guys.
I have macbook pro 2019
i7 9gen
16GB ram
After the last update to Big Sur when I am typing the lag happens
I have the same issue with my iMac 27" from 2017. It goes away after a few hours but at first it takes a lot of time to catch up which puts me behind.
Same here. SMC and VRAM reset did nothing. Scrolling in Safari is laggy half the time, animations are slow and laggy, and my battery life was more than cut in half. God, I hope they fix this stuff in an update SOON.