MacOS Big Sur Lagging

Hello! Help please, after updating the system to Big Sur, my MacBook Pro 13 began to slow down, previously there were no such problems.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
2,7 GHz 2‑core processor Intel Core i5
8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB
I too have suffered from this immediately after the upgrade (Macbook Pro 13 Early 2015) and restarting the computer fixed it.. phew 😅
I too have suffered this problem, also issues with the mail app, its terrible, I am using a Macbook air m1
Same issues, using MacBook Air 2017.
  • Updating to the Big Sur slowed down the booting speed 2X or 3X.

• Photo Booth Camera doesn't work

• Ram consumption has peaked up and is lagging the whole system for no reason

• Even the smallest of task is lagging, which never happened in the previous Mac versions

• Can't login to FaceTime and Messages app

• Due to the lag, even typing on keyboard is lagging

The widgets might be the reason the whole system lags. (I don't want those feature then)

System - MacBooks Air 2017 (i5, 8GB RAM, 128 GB)
MacBook Pro 13 2020 16gb. Everything runs slower this is very unprofessional.

It behaves like a completely different laptop.

Same of the issues are:
  • Websites have terrible scrolling.

• Unacceptable memory consumption.

Same here... Macbook pro 13 2015.

Its very laggy, even to just move the windows around
I've been experiencing the same. And experiencing stutters/lag on the 19' MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz i9 with 32GB .. So it's plaguing even the top-tier rig. I sent in a log to Apple, but basically there are stutters/lag whenever inputting text.. Like right now as I type this. And as the others have said when resizing windows.. It's not inhibiting me coding, but it's making it VERY frustrating.. especially after shelling out nearly 4k for this thing. I love the look and feel of Big Sur though so hopefully they can get this sorted out. I know developers can't snap a solution into existence, but some acknowledgement of working on the problem from Apple would be great.
Same here. MBP 2020 2GHz, quad i5, 16GB RAM. Immediately noticed the difference as soon as I upgraded to Big Sur in terms of "laggy" behaviour during general usage of the laptop. Resizing windows, typing, scrolling in safari, moving between desktops...basically everything. Was actually super content with the previous Catalina version, no gimmicks, no drama, no complaints about the OS since everything worked buttery smooth...I should've waited for the updated Big Sur version so that all these teething stages of new OS updates (especially for ones with massive overhaul such as Big Sur) get sorted out :(( For me it's definitely an OS issue (I hope, and it better be), I only bought this damn machine just over a month ago!

NOTE TO SELF: always wait for the version 2 of new tech /OS.
I am having also having this issue, particularly, with the Messages app. I get the pinwheel and/or terrible lag whenever I try to type a message in the app. This is my favorite feature and it is totally unusable! Wish everybody would just use WhatsApp now. Had the same problem with Catalina and hoped that Big Sur would correct this issue. Tried everything suggested. No joy.

MacBook Air (Retina, 13-inch, 2020)
1 .1 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i3
8 GB 3733 MHz LPDDR4X
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB
Hello everyone, I also have these problems on both my Macs since Big Sur (big mistake to update as soon as it got released). A lot of graphical stuttering when changing desktops, opening apps, and minimizing windows. Slow startup and shutdown. Also, every time I manually clean-restart it, it says that the Mac restarted because of a problem. It is kinda unacceptable after many months of testing, to be honest.

BTO iMac 27" 5K Retina 2017
Intel Core i7 4.2Ghz Quad-Core
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 580 8 GB
3,2 TB Fusion Drive

MacBook Pro 15" Retina Mid 2015
Intel Core i7 2.5Ghz Quad-Core
16 GB 1800 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2 GB
500 GB SSD Drive

Hope Apple solves this ASAP.

Regards,

Excuse me for my english.

Click on the “Apple” menu and then open “System Preferences.”
Next, click on the “Energy Saver.”
Check the box near to OFF “Automatic graphics switching.”

At least for me, it has been fixed.

yes, the interface ceases to slow down when switching graphics - well, the question is why should I pay for the laziness of the developers with the laptop autonomy by using radeon videocard
Hi,

same for me, how to fix it ?

2,7 GHz Intel Core i5
Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 Mo
Going to battery under system preferences and unchecking Automatic Graphics Switching fixed this for me.

Going to battery under system preferences and unchecking Automatic Graphics Switching fixed this for me.

还真TM可以!!!!(worked like a charm !!!!)
ever since I updated to big Sur ive been having terrible lag as well. theres a lot new features I like with the ui and looks of the OS but when scrolling, switching apps its completely rubbish

2 month old 2020 13in macbook pro 16g Ram and i7

using a dell 27in S2719DGF currently overclocking the monitor @155hz and its crazy choppy and raggidy when I switch between apps and scrolling through pdfs. especially when using goodnotes, while scrolling through notes it looks like im using a 1990s hp

Hi,
Even i cant watch videos on youtube at 720p. Forget 1080p. It is so lagging. Updating to big sur was a big mistake.
Macbook air early 2015
You said : "Going to battery under system preferences and unchecking Automatic Graphics Switching fixed this for me.".

Where that ??? There is nothing in battery preference with Big Sur !!

Who can help please ? :-(

If you are experiencing video lagging try resetting your SMC:
  1. Power off MAC and leave the plug attached

2. Hold down Shift + Ctrl + Option and Power On button for 10 Secs.

3. Release buttons and then power on mac.

This should remedy most issues with the new update Happy Crimbo.

Tam

After installing big sur, the animation started lagging when scrolling in Safari / notification center. Does anyone have a similar problem? Scrolling occurs in some jerks, and this is on a standard MacBook trackpad. When scrolling through applications or scrolling through the Launchpad, some animation problems are also noticeable . folders in the Launchpad open with some slowing down.
MBP 13 2020 i5 16gb ram ,1tb ssd.
When restoring to Catalina there are no such problems
Hello, Thx very much for the solution : .

If you are experiencing video lagging try resetting your SMC:

• Power off MAC and leave the plug attached

• Hold down Shift + Ctrl + Option and Power On button for 10 Secs.

• Release buttons and then power on mac.

This should remedy most issues with the new update Happy Crimbo.
It fix it for me !

2,7 GHz Intel Core i5
Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 Mo

Macbook Pro 16", typing lag with intel gpu. Safari scrolling lag with both gpu's. All started after big sur update. Hopefully fix is coming.
I found partial solution for me. You need to reduce mouse polling rate to 125-500 in mouse program. Example: Synapse 3 for Razer Mouse. But Synapse 3 dont support macOS, and i reduce this setting via Windows. (has just been installed for some work tasks). I hope its help for you guys.
The SMC reset worked for me. I was skeptical, but the video performance after doing that is now what it used to be before updating to Big Sur. I'm using Mac Air 13 inch, early 2015

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201295

This really works!
Just go System Preferences -> Batter -> And Battery in left side menu.
I already wanted to reinstall whole system...

Confirming that the SMC reset made a massive difference for me.
MacOS Big Sur Lagging

Q