Download failed - Big Sur 11.2.3

When I tried to update/download/install Big Sur 11.2.3, from System Preferences Software Update, I get:

"Download failed: An error occurred while downloading the selected updates. Please check your internet connection and try again."

MacBook Pro M1 2021
  • Same issue- brand new iMac with the M1 chip and out of the box storage available (like +800G) and high speed internet. Says 2-4 days to download 12GB and fails. Not sure what the deal is but on second try now (2 days) and will call store if it still doesn't work or there's no good answer here. Sort of underwhelmed by this issue given my expectations for Apple.

• This sort of problem arises, when the System Analyser had less knowledge of about third-world countries and IT system in those countries. Such stupids are mostly from rich family, from USA or UK, studied in Harvard or similar rich Universities and then joined Apple or Microsoft. In recent years, Windows also following path of macOS, and setting lots of obstacle for users worldwide.

Add a Comment

Replies

I'm having the same issue. The download completes, it says 'preparing mac for update' and shows 15 min remaining. Then, it errors out and says the download failed. I also tried booting into safe mode with same results.
  • I’m repeatedly having same problem with updating my iMac 21.5” (Late 2015) currently running Big Sur 11.1 and prompted to update to 11.6, then I experience same as above, it quickly gets to ‘preparing updates’, 15 mins remaining, then freezes. Sometimes it actually gets past that stage and continues to download for over an hour, so I have to leave it, but when I return to the machine. To Download failed, check internet connection. Machine is connected via Power adapter LAN that otherwise gives good connection.

• I’ve tried disconnecting LAN and rebooted with iMac connected only by WiFi, with the same result. I confirmed I have sufficient space on Hardrive (886.75GB available of 1TB drive) and also tried deleting the previous Download then recommenced reloading the Update again and it starts to download package of 6.08 GB within the time frame then takes me to, the now familiar ‘Preparing updates…. About 15 mins remaining’ as shown following previous attempts and nothing happens no matter how long it is left. This suggests that the Download package on the drive but is failing to ‘unpack and install correctly on my System.

Add a Comment
I'm having the same issue. Download never starts, or after several attempts it sometimes starts but never finishes, keeps saying that it does need 10 m ore minutes (for hours). Safe mode not working, complete reinstall via App store not working... Don't know what else to do and have a colleague with the exact same issue.

Using a Macbook air 13 inch 2020.
Good Day,

Guys make sure you have disk space for the download and try again.

ISPs and Admins, Normally block Apple Updates and Apple services. Check firewall settings too to confirm that they are not blocked and Bandwidth is not congested .
Apple needs to create and share offline installers thou , due to poor internet challenges in different countries.
I had the same problem. Then I disconnected my wired internet connection and joined my wifi network and the download worked.
I am having the same problem. I keep getting the notification about my download has failed check my internet connection. How do I fix this problem?

I was having the same problem with my new M1 MacBook Air 2020. I've got enough hard drive space so it seems like weak internet connection is one of the problem. What I did was change my WiFi connection to my more stable mobile cellular data (during the middle of downloading the update), and it worked well.
Had this exact problem on my late 2013 model Mac book pro. I tried updating in recovery mode and safe mode and it kept telling me I didn't have enough storage even though in "about this Mac" it said I had more than enough. I also tried updating over a different internet connection to no avail. After a few calls with apple support we cleared a good bit of memory (highly recommend OmniDiskSweeper to see what you're actually using) and I tried again and it still said "download failed" when It would prep the update. They recommended waiting until the next big update in September. I wasn't in a panic as this is a spare laptop.

I was just about to give up and I said I would try one more time in recovery mode after clearing loads of memory and numerous other things with the support agent and finally worked.

Hope this helps!
Just got a brand new MacBook Air in the mail yesterday. Have continuously tried to update to 11.2.3 and keep getting download failed. Try on two different WiFi’s then used my phones hot spot and still the same. Please let me know if anyone figures out what to do
I am having this problem on an M1 Mac mini which I started up yesterday. Plenty of hard drive space. Have it hooked to internet via ethernet. Personal computer - not managed by a company admin. Gets almost to the 3.43 GB mark when it fails. This is...frustrating.

Same issue has been going on for weeks now, download starts and the fails with a unable to download message. have tried this around 3o times, have also tried safe mode and that also fails, this is on an iMac 2017 model quite high spec machine, with ample memory and HD space, so any ideas? my MacBook pros 2021 Intel device was not a problem, strange? I'm a bit over it and having some silly quirks with my iamb as well, like turning off at random, be nice if the update worked, I'm open to suggestions here...
Edit to my post from yesterday. After several failed attempts, I restarted the computer and tried update as first action. It started partially downloaded (1.6 GB) then finished downloading and I was able to update. Of course, that set all my main Apple apps to update available (pages, GarageBand, etc...) and now they just spin their wheels instead of updating.
I'm having issues on new iMac desktop, it won't take update for the Big Sur. Had tried few times with correct internet connection. Still failed as I have no problems with my laptops with MacBook and Pro and they have Big Sur after updated.
I have ample storage available and a 300 Mbps hi speed internet. No firewall, home internet. The update big sur 11.2.3 is approx 3.26Gb and the download completes and while installing comes the error. This is a bug in programming and not network issue.
I have same problem. Not able to update from Big Sur 11.2 to 11.2.3. Macbook Air starts downloading then quits after an hour or more.