Download failed - Big Sur 11.2.3

When I tried to update/download/install Big Sur 11.2.3, from System Preferences Software Update, I get:

"Download failed: An error occurred while downloading the selected updates. Please check your internet connection and try again."

MacBook Pro M1 2021
  • Same issue- brand new iMac with the M1 chip and out of the box storage available (like +800G) and high speed internet. Says 2-4 days to download 12GB and fails. Not sure what the deal is but on second try now (2 days) and will call store if it still doesn't work or there's no good answer here. Sort of underwhelmed by this issue given my expectations for Apple.

• This sort of problem arises, when the System Analyser had less knowledge of about third-world countries and IT system in those countries. Such stupids are mostly from rich family, from USA or UK, studied in Harvard or similar rich Universities and then joined Apple or Microsoft. In recent years, Windows also following path of macOS, and setting lots of obstacle for users worldwide.

Add a Comment

Replies

Same issue here. Plenty of space. Multiple wifi / ethernet connections tried. Turned off my virus scanner as well. Nothing worked.
After many attempts without success to install the update, I downloaded and installed Big Sur 11.2.3 from the App Store and it installed just fine.
Alright, when software downloads fail due to internet, I always check my wifi. Even though my internet connection is not bad.

And I tried to download it with safe boot mode...

Restart/Turn Off your computer and hold the 'shift key' (hold it until the apple logo disappears) to boot into 'safe mode' and then start the update/download from there. 

Worked wonders for me with startup security to none... 

I'm now on Big Sur 11.2.3 🥰
Good job Adytio! This worked for me. The Apple support didn't even have me try this.
After downloading Big Sur 11.3.1 (5.70GB)on my Macbook Air, it tries to install however after 15-20 minutes it gives up without installing software with the error message "download failed". Does anyone know how to resolve this issue?
Try backing up all your files on external hard disc, delete all files on your Mac including downloads and trash, then update in safe reboot. Should take 3 hrs.
2 months later and there's no answer to this problem? I see some people had luck using safe mode...which is f'ing ridiculous...but I'll give anything a whirl after months of no updates. Ugh, Apple, do better.
  • UPDATE* Tried safe mode, no luck. Tried changing wifi from router to iPhone link (as another user suggested worked for them) and no luck...same stupid lying message about checking my internet connection.

FAIL
  • Totally Agree, every time there is an update, it takes me days to google and figure out to upgrade. I have 1G fix wire stable internet, and nearly 1T space available, yet, same shit every time. As a developer I am totally bwmused by the amature behaviour and programming skills of the developers to not have a bit more clarity in the error responce, as to indicate what the problem is. if its a network problem, why doesnt it say correcupted update file, or if its space say its space. If it treated my users this way i would be unemployed. ike i say, after I solve this current update, the next one might take me 4 months to update because of the wasted time... Any logs anywhere that can help?

Add a Comment
Safe Mode worked for my MacBook Pro (early 2015). But it took sometime and 2 tries. So I recommend overnight or when you download speeds are best. Now I'm on Big Sur 11.4.

I had this issue with my MacBook Pro (Intel). I took it to the Apple Store and they somehow managed to install the update. Then the issue popped up on my iMac (Intel). After trying all the steps outlined in this and other forums (recovery mode, etc), I finally figured out that I needed to boot off of a separate drive to install the update. I created a bootable USB drive using the instructions here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372.

Once I booted from that drive, the install went flawlessly.

Good luck.