USB hub failing under Monterey

Anyone seeing trouble with external USB hubs after installing the Monterey developer beta?

I have an ikling FX-1940E hub that I've been using with my M1 MacBook Air. Everything worked fine under Big Sur, and still does on another machine still running Big Sur, but I can't connect a trackball or keyboard via the hub's USB 2.0 or 3.0 ports to the Air since installing Monterey. The hub's VGA port still works on Monterey; I haven't been able to test the other ports yet. Also, a different hub (with fewer ports, so it can't simply replace the ikling) does work.

I've reported the issue to Apple using the feedback assistant. Any suggestions for anything else I can do at my end?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of eurobubba Down vote post of eurobubba
95k views
  • Hi,

After upgrade to Monterey, latest public beta (21A5506j), PD over usb-c from my monitor (Philips 346P1CRH/00) doesn't work as well.

Apple please help!

• Looks like most comments here are with MacBook and the M1. I have a been running a duel monitor set up with my MacBook Pro (intel) for years without issue on the MacOS Beta program. It wasn't until I just upgraded to release 8 that the monitors are no longer detected. I have not been able to find a workaround so any help would be appreciated.

• PD (Power Delivery) over USB-C also stopped working on my MBP 2018 after updating to Monterey (12.0.1). I use a Philips 346P1CRH. Everything was working flawlessly with Big Sur.

Replies

I have the same issue. HDMI, VGA and Power Delivery works but USB 3.0 ports doesn't. Only option is wait for an update or downgrade to Big Sur I think.

• Same thing here on ma M1 MacMini with a MOTRIX USB3 HDD/SSD dock. It seems more external SSD/HDD issue rather than the USB ports. Just installed Monterey Beta 3 hoping it gets fixed, but with no luck.

• Same issue on M1 device after upgrade to Monterey. VGA port works properly, however, USB ports don't work despite they're receiving power.

• Same here.

I noticed the same issue immediately after updating to Monterey. I'm using a similar dock with my M1 MacBook Air.

The issue seems to be with the USB ports. My iPhone will no longer get detected by Mac OS or charge when connected to any of the USB Ports. I also noticed that my Android phone is charging way slower now. Maybe the USB ports are not getting enough voltage somehow after this update. Not sure what the issue is. I reported it using the Feedback option and also updated to the new Monterey Beta hoping for a fix, but no dice.

The HDMI, Ethernet, SD Card reader, etc. are all still working. For now, we can either downgrade to Big Sur, or wait for a Monterey update with the fix.

• Same issue with USB external camera

• Same with my USB3.0 ethernet adapter from J5 create and all of my USB3.0 thumb drive from Innostar. I have one Kingston USB3.0 that appears to be working fine.

Add a Comment

I have the same problem too with an iKling 9 in 1 USB Hub (not sure what the model name is). It seems that power is transferred to whatever you connect to the USB ports, but not data.

I've also noticed that if I charge my M1 MBP through it, it messes up the charge percentage display, and it shows incorrect values.

didn't have this problem with macOS Monterey beta 1.

Other USB Hubs seem to work ok.

I had a similar problem with Monterey beta 3. When I update from beta 2 to 3, it began to fail booting up. Then, I tried to make clean install in other SSD. Beta 3 could run successfully. I checked kernel extensions. I found one (installed from SATSMARTDriver-0.10.pkg) of USB device drivers killed Monterey beta 3. I couldn't update from Monterey beta 2, and/or Big Sur to Monterey beta 3 because of this USB device driver (kernel extension). I hope next beta version will fix this kernel extension problem, and I can update my current macOS version without clean installing.

Not glad this is happening, but i am calmer that this is not an issue with my hardware and hopefully will be fixed with official version. I have hte same issue - only USB3 ports do not work on M1 Macbook air. When i downgraded to big-sur it works OK. I sent via feedback app this issue.

I'm having these kinds of issues too on Beta 6. Only on M1 devices, Intel based are working fine. USB-C monitor with built in dock, sometimes works, sometimes works but no power delivery.

If device rebooted with USB-C monitor connected, then it works - but unplug the cable and replace, and back to no power/accessories.

Looking forward to Beta 7.... :)

• I have the same trouble on Intel based iMac since around beta 3.

• +1 WRT to beta 6, and a USB-C monitor not providing PD power (Philips 346P - alt mode display port and USB hub work, but no power delivery to M1 Air). PD worked pre Monterey, works with (all) other devices I have.

• Same screen here 346P1C - too scared to try Beta7 right now as to fix the Air I had to use DFU mode to restore the Big Sur firmware....

Release version of Monterey still has this issue! - come on Apple!!

• Still same problem on macOS 12.3.1. All worked fine before Monterey !!!!

• Same here. Which USB-C work best to avoid this problem?

Add a Comment

Just upgraded and no USBs are working, anyone have any temp work around?

Upgraded to Monterey and now power delivery from my monitor (Philips 346E2CUAE) is no longer working. HDMI is working fine.

Same thing on my end! Thought I could reset the SMC but turns out you cannot really on m1. Kind of ridiculous that apple rolled out update without even fixing this issue in the betas...

Solution: It is based off the adapter. I had a doohalo adapter and I switched adapters to another brand (non apple) and it worked. My adapter doohalo was worked pre update on big sur. Sucks how apple is trying to find ways to get rid of certain brands that people are purchasing….

Add a Comment

I'm having the same problem after update, I can connect a monitor but the all the USB of my hub stop work. reset SMC, delete VPN nothing make it work, and the version is the final version of Monterey 12.0.1 (21A559)

• SMC is not something you can reset on m1 chips but you can on INTEL.

Add a Comment

Just Upgraded and My Aoc Power Delivery Monitor Not working like normal but the display still running

• Mine too. I bought a AOC U27P2C usb-c monitor and display and power delivery works but built in dock not working after sleep-wake. Very frustrating….

Add a Comment

i have that same problem, MBP2018 not power delivery from Philips 346P1CRH, Monterey (12.0.1)...

• Same problem here with MBP2019 (intel), no PD on  Philips 346P1CRH, Monterey (12.0.1). I contacted Apple support yesterday, they created an internal issue in order to investigate. Let's hope for a quick resolution.

I tested PD on a Philips 243B1, this is still working fine.

• One of my colleagues found a partial fix which makes the problem a bit less annoying:

completely shutdown your MBP;connect the 346P1CRH;power on the MBP;

charging works for us as long as you leave the usb c connected. Tested on both M1 (2021) and intel (2019). It might also work for other PD problems. Hope this helps.

Add a Comment

I am also experience the similar problem with usb not being detected and i am unable to use the wireless keyboard and mouse now after upgrading to Monterey. Funny though when i upgraded, it was working. I put the laptop on sleep before sleeping and when i woke up the laptop it stopped working

• ay caramba. It's December 5 and I just upgraded to the released Monterrey and now my USB hub no longer works and my external displays are broken. This is ridiculous. Wavlink USB hub.

• I've updated to 12.2 and still have this issue. Apple, what's going on? How long do we have to wait for just regular fixes?

• It's not working for me either.

Add a Comment