USB hub failing under Monterey

Anyone seeing trouble with external USB hubs after installing the Monterey developer beta?

I have an ikling FX-1940E hub that I've been using with my M1 MacBook Air. Everything worked fine under Big Sur, and still does on another machine still running Big Sur, but I can't connect a trackball or keyboard via the hub's USB 2.0 or 3.0 ports to the Air since installing Monterey. The hub's VGA port still works on Monterey; I haven't been able to test the other ports yet. Also, a different hub (with fewer ports, so it can't simply replace the ikling) does work.

I've reported the issue to Apple using the feedback assistant. Any suggestions for anything else I can do at my end?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of eurobubba Down vote post of eurobubba
96k views
  • Hi,

After upgrade to Monterey, latest public beta (21A5506j), PD over usb-c from my monitor (Philips 346P1CRH/00) doesn't work as well.

Apple please help!

• Looks like most comments here are with MacBook and the M1. I have a been running a duel monitor set up with my MacBook Pro (intel) for years without issue on the MacOS Beta program. It wasn't until I just upgraded to release 8 that the monitors are no longer detected. I have not been able to find a workaround so any help would be appreciated.

• PD (Power Delivery) over USB-C also stopped working on my MBP 2018 after updating to Monterey (12.0.1). I use a Philips 346P1CRH. Everything was working flawlessly with Big Sur.

Replies

hi, have the same problem, USB port only charge now and don transfer data, SD Slot not working.

***... apple and updates that ***** the system.

any solution. this is my work device and now im stuck after this update.

thx

Hello I have the same issue. I am new in mac. it my first macbook pro. so imagine the shock, where all people were telling me. by a mac, it is plug and play.

I thought it was my usb-c hub that it is wonderfully working under windows (anker). I have also a TB DELL docking station same issue. I bought a new one to make thing sure; and same issue. I am going to send my USB-c back until apple fixes this issue.

What is working: 2 usb-c hub on one usb-c port each. First usb-c hub on first usb-c port with PD and HDMI (don t use the usb A ports, they don't work) Second usb-c hub on second usb-c port: plug my usb A devices (logitech KB, AKai mpk mini, focusrite 3rd gen 4i4, ssd drive) that cannot be the final and ideal way to use a so-called docking station things.

Config: MBP 2019 - OS monterey

Same issue. My mouse stopped working in the middle of (update/monterey) setup process.

I opened a support case on my M1 MBA with Monterey - after the update my external Logitech Web Cam stopped working and this is what I was recommended to do:

Shut down machine & reboot into safe mode. Once you get the usb/camera working in safe mode, boot back into regular mode and camera should work.

This did work for me - but found out that its not a permanent fix.

Since the suggestion did come from Apple Support I must imagine that next version update of Monterey should fix this.

I opened a support case on my M1 MBA with Monterey - after the update my external Logitech Web Cam stopped working and this is what I was recommended to do:

Shut down machine & reboot into safe mode. Once you get the usb/camera working in safe mode, boot back into regular mode and camera should work. This did work for me - but found out that its not a permanent fix. Since the suggestion did come from Apple Support I must imagine that next version update of Monterey should fix this.

One more issue found last days. When Mac goes to sleep mode with USB-Hub connected, MacOS crashes and restarts with message

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xfffffe001b90eb7c): Wake transition timed out after 35 seconds while calling rootDomain's clients about upcoming rootDomain's state changes. 
Debugger message: panic
Memory ID: 0xff
OS release type: User
OS version: 21A559

I fixed problem with USB using new Data cable USB-C to Lightning. Now I have to switch off hub from Mac every time I go away from my table. So annoying. :\

All USB, usb C ports are malfunctioning after the upgrade. I can bearly use my external SSDs.

Imac with intel Macbookpro with intel

Ok - so this wasn't just an external web cam issue for me, as I first thought. It appears that certain USB Hubs and cables are no longer working well with Monterey. My setup used to be USB3.1gen1 cable to Dell 4k Monitor (with built in USB 3.0 Hub) > USB 3.0 cable to Dell D6000 Dock > USB-C (not sure of the spec) cable to the Huddly IQ 4k WebCam.

• It appears the USB dock on the Dell monitor is no longer running at 5Gbps on Monterey.
  • But also certain USB-C cables that used to work with the camera (or other devices) plugged in directly to the MacBook now no longer work either. This includes the genuine apple USB-C cables that I had to hand.

I swapped out all the cables with brand new USB-IF certified cables and changed my setup so the D6000 dock is now directly plugged into my M1 via USB-C 3.1gen1 and the dock then connected to the webcam similarly (slightly annoying as now I have to plug in two cables, rather than one) - the camera now connects at 5Gbps and is working.

I have tested other devices too and they had also dropped from USB 3.0 'superspeed' 5Gbps or USB 3.1 (5Gbps or more) down to old school USB speeds of ~480Mbps. The 4k USB-C camera just didn't work connected at those speeds.

So about £50 spent on cables and still not back to where I was, but at least my setup works again in this new configuration.

No idea why the hub in the dell monitor isn't playing ball.

• Further update: I have swapped out the cable to my Dell U3219Q display which was a USB 3.1 Gen2 cable for a USB-IF certified Gen1 cable and the monitor's USB hub is now working at full speed.

Looks like only certified USB-C 3.1 Gen1 cables work properly.

Add a Comment

Apple USB-C->USB then Hama USB-A->USB-C then Green Cell USB-C hub

All USB ports work now, but HDMI doesn't.

From my tests it looks like only certified USB-C 3.1 Gen1 cables work properly.

From my tests it looks like only certified USB-C 3.1 Gen1 cables work properly on my MacBook Pro M1. Even Gen2 cables only run at USB 2.0 speeds.

Same issue here. Only the HDMI works on my hub, neither the USB-C or USB 3.0 port.

this seems to get fixed in beta 2 for me!!! so happy

I'm having the same issue! HMDI and charging work through my hub but none of the usb ports. Please fix this Apple!

I've got some coworkers in my office who are using same hardware as I do who do not experience this. Has anyone tried doing a recovery reinstall of Monteray to try to fix this?