Can no longer detect 2nd display in MacOS Monterey

Since the last update (21A5534d), my MacBook doesn't detect my 2nd display. I've tried swapping the display with a new one and trying different connection methods. My MacBook's built-in display goes black for a moment when I attach the cable, but nothing else happens.

I seem to remember that the System Preferences > Displays used to have an option for manually detecting a display, but it doesn't appear to be there any more.

I hope I'm not the only person experiencing this.

MBP 2015. Detection of external monitor on DisplayPort still broken with latest 12.1 beta 4 (21C5045a). HDMI works.

Problem still persists, the monitor appears in the screen settings after 8 seconds, says it was disconnected. I believe that Apple developers should only use iMac to not solve this problem of hubs for external monitors, if they used that and were with the same problem it would come out in the first fix. Problem still persists in 12.1 beta 4 (21C5045a)

I haven't upgraded to Monterey yet (because of all the issues) but there is a free app on the Mac App Store called Display Menu that has the missing "Detect Displays" menu item. I've used it for years and can highly recommend it. I have no relationship with Display Menu except as a satisfied customer.

I have the same issue using a macbookpro (2020), use 2 displays since the update to monterey no longer detects one of displays. I have another machine also macbookpro (OS bigSur) and detects the 2 displays when I plug it to the same set up: startech hub usb c. This is extremely annoying :/

I have the same issue using a macbookpro (2020), use 2 displays since the update to monterey no longer detects one of displays. I have another machine also macbookpro (OS bigSur) and detects the 2 displays when I plug it to the same set up: startech hub usb c. This is extremely annoying :/

Same issue with me, Very disappointed with Monterey, I'm finding a way to downgrade to Catalina.

I had the same issue and managed to fix it by replacing the cables and the Thunderbod2 - USB-C adapters, which aren't compatible with MiniDP.

Once I connected both monitors with a DisplayPort -> USB-C cable, the issue was gone, and I was also able to see the 'Display Settings' and 'Detect display' buttons under System Preferences > Displays.

I hope that helps

What worked for me was disabling the Automatic graphics switching, in the Battery settings, while the external display was connected. I use usb c to usb c connection. After doing that my external display was immediately detected, and I could enable again the Automatic switching, if I wanted to. Hope this helps others.

Same issue on mi iMac 21 2017. I´ve upgraded to Monterey. Worked well for a few weeks but suddenly no longer detects the HP 27er monitor. Any ideas or fixes? Thanks.

Same here. I will downgrade to Mojave...

WORKING SOLUTION: THANKS to Teleccon here, the disabling the Automatic graphics switching in the Battery settings, while the external display was connected helped me. I was going crazy with this situation. You just need to restart it after the change with your monitor connected. It seems that after that you can change the battery setting back if needed.

That indeed worked.

Started happening after the 12.1 upgrade. After multiple reboots... nothing. Unplugged monitor and plugged back in. Success!

There is some caching in the Thunderbolt.

My 2019 MacBook pro 16 with macOS Monterey can not detect 2 same monitors at the same time (each uses the individual USB-c port to connect). While my working MacBook pro with Catalina works with no problem! So frustrating!

Same issue here and no response from Apple on any thread. I’ve used apple for 10 years and this is absolutely insane. How the hell are they developing at Apple without secondary monitors? Two of us at work have the same issue and we’ve had to spread the word throughout the company not to upgrade.

Me too! I can't believe it hasn't been addressed. What a major issue.

me too. macbook pro can't connect to samsung odyssey (dp1/dp2/hdmi).

Me too, although I am on 12.2 Beta 1. It never was an issue before, though. Not on the beta either. It started this morning; lovely little Christmas **** you from Apple.

Fixed for me. Same issue as the rest, extra monitors not detected after Monterey upgrade. My setup is 2 external monitors connected to a docking station, Dell D6000. No monitors detected and missing the "Detect Displays" option in System Preferences->Displays.

For me this was device drivers, although it is a USB C connection. Dropped into Dell D6000 support page, which put me onto installing Display Link Manager (https://www.synaptics.com/products/displaylink-graphics/downloads/macos-connectivity-1.6) although I don't recall having to do this before.

Installed this and the monitors auto-detect. My "Detect Monitors" button is now also back, so although the Mac wants to reboot, I'm currently fixed.

For anyone who facing the issue external display not working as usual via usb-c after upgrade to Monterey, for my case...

• M1 max 16" macOS version 12.1
  • Dell Display U3219Q

I've found WORKaround on Reddit : https://www.reddit.com/r/macsysadmin/comments/qgypzy/comment/hpjdnn9/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

You'll want to make sure you're using a port that supports an external display. On the m1 iMacs, for example, there are 4 USB-C ports, but only two are marked for display, and the other two do not work for an external monitor.

I have 2021 MBP 14" M1 Pro with two 32" LG displays connected via USB-C. Here is what you need to do:

1. Disconnect Display 2 from your Mac
  2. With one monitor connected unplug the monitor from the power for couple of seconds and plug it back in.
  3. Display 1 should now work.
  4. Disconnect Display 1 from your Mac
  5. Connect Display 2 to your Mac
  6. Unplug Display 2 from power and plug back in
  7. Display 2 should now work.
  8. Plug in Display 1 and they should both work now!

Cheers, Juha

2020 MB Pro and Dell32x Monitor, same issue. Following.

Same issue with macbook pro 2020 and asus monitor. Very disappointing.

Same problem. AppleCare acted like they had NO IDEA of this issue. I have a dual-boot with windows loaded. The problem is not happening in Windows. This AMAZES me. I was pretty certain that it is/was a hardware issue but now I am a believer that it's a software issue.

I'm on hold calling Apple back to point them to this forum.

I have the same exact issue with my M1 Macbook Air and HP z27 monitor. EVEN MORE ANNOYING the built in hub works fine and I can use the keyboard and mouse PLUGGED INTO THE MONITOR, but can't get the monitor itself to detect. The MacOS developers stupidly also made the "detect displays" feature previously available by holding option on the displays system preferences NOT AVAILABLE unless you have an already detected monitor installed. What level of idiocy are they allowing over there at Apple these days?

Can no longer detect 2nd display in MacOS Monterey

Q