Can no longer detect 2nd display in MacOS Monterey

Since the last update (21A5534d), my MacBook doesn't detect my 2nd display. I've tried swapping the display with a new one and trying different connection methods. My MacBook's built-in display goes black for a moment when I attach the cable, but nothing else happens.

I seem to remember that the System Preferences > Displays used to have an option for manually detecting a display, but it doesn't appear to be there any more.

I hope I'm not the only person experiencing this.

Same problems here. On the first day, second display (connected through Thunderbolt 4 USB-C) worked without issues. Second day the problems started... eventually through this forum caught the "disconnecting display from power" workaround and it solved it. Now, day 3, I've tried every trick in the internet and just cannot get the 2nd display to work. If I move the display from the USB-C directly to HDMI, it works immediately. Come on, Apple!!

Hello everyone,

I had similar issues and recognized that it might be related to the DisplayPort Alt Mode. I came across this because because MonitorControl (https://github.com/MonitorControl/MonitorControl) only works with native DDC (protocol to control backgroundlighting, sound, etc. on monitors) with cables and adapters that use DisplayPort Alt Mode.

I have three different cables / connectors that I tried over the time (from May 2021 when I I got my M1 MBA to now) with my Dell S2712QS. My goal was to get 4K@60 Hz with native working DDC working all the same time. I also tried USB-C to DisplayPort adapters but unfortunately my Dell doesn't like 4K@60 Hz over DisplayPort (https://www.dell.com/community/Monitors/S2721QS-black-screen-for-1-2-seconds-random-5/td-p/7908482) , so I pivoted to HDMI.

Here are my results: i-tec C31VGAHDMIADA + some random HDMI cable

• 4K @ 30 Hz, DDC works => uses DisplayPort Alt Mode
  • The monitor doesn't get recognized in 3 out of 4 times (after my Mac goes to sleep / I plug the monitor in). Unplugging and plugging it back in several times usually does the trick.

Delock (84905) USB-C to HDMI cable (https://www.delock.de/produkte/G_84905/merkmale.html?setLanguage=en)

• 4K @ 60 Hz, DDC works (uses DisplayPort Alt Mode as advertised)
  • It worked about two times for me, right when I got the cable and checked 4K@60Hz + DDC and then after unplugging and plugging it back in I never really got it to work again.
  • I just got this cable today and in the process of trying to find out why, I go to know that so may other people have display issues on their M1 Macs as well

Inline 64112 USB-C to HDMI cable

• 4K @ 60 Hz, DDC doesn't work
  • On their website (https://www.inline-info.com/en/products/cable/usb-to-display/10680/inline-usb-display-cable-usb-type-c-male-to-hdmi-male-dp-alt-mode-4k2k-black-2m) they state the cable uses DisplayPort Alt Mode but DDC doesn't work with it. I don't know what to make of this other than that it seems to be working now and maybe their implementation or claim of DisplayPort Alt Mode is wrong.

I hope somebody finds this useful.

Cheers

I also started having this problem yesterday all of a sudden. My setup is this:

• Macbook pro m1 max 14"
  • Monterey 12.2
  • LG 38**95C-W monitor (https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-38**95c-w-ultrawide-monitor)
  • Connected my macbook to the monitor via usb-c to usb-c cable (= thunderbolt connection on the monitor)
  • This cable also charged my macbook

This has worked without any problem since I got the laptop in november. Yesterday it stopped working.

I have tried a lot of things mentioned in this thread but nothing worked for me. I have as a quick fix replaced my thunderbolt cable connection with a DisplayPort (from the monitor) to usb-c cable (connected to my macbook). This works but it also means I need to connect the apple magsafe cable to charge the macbook.

Please apple, fix this!

I'm having the exact same problem, I just bought a new HP V22 monitor however it just never can connect to my Macbook Pro. It is very frustrating and disappointing. @apple please fix the problem!

Same problem here with a Dell monitor - it worked fine before updating my OS, which I knew was a mistake.

I'm using a Mac Mini, dual BenQ monitors, connected via usb-c and running the latest public beta update broke dual displays (21E5196i). I tried the suggestions with power and such, nothing worked. I tried different USB-C ports, and discovered that only one port is working for video. I have a Caldigit ts3 connected to another usb-c port, it works, but video does not through that device.

No change on 12.3 Beta (21E5206e)

I have the same problem. iMac on Monterrey (2017) and MacBook (2020) on big sur.

ucb-C thunderbolt 3 connector between the two does not work. Called apple and was told that this is a known issues with the latest (post 2016) iMacs. And that it’s due to the newer software. No known fix that they’re aware of.

Very frustrating considering the ucb-c thunderbolt 3 was advertised as compatible which I took to mean that it would do its job and allow for dual monitor use between iMac-MAcBook pro.

selling the iMac at this point.

Happened to me too. Second monitor was working fine on Monterey and Macbook Pro M1 2021 then one morning would not detect secondary monitor (Acer 32inch 4k) via USB-C. Worked fine via HDMI. Tried lots of things and lost 2 hours. Then at the end reseting NVRAM/PRAM worked: https://purplecomputing.com/tech-how-to/how-to-reset-nvram-or-pram/#:~:text=Shut%20down%20your%20Mac%2C%20then,Mac%20might%20appear%20to%20restart.

Before resetting NVRAM/PRAM I upgraded from Monterey 12.1 to 12.2.1. Also ordered 1 new USB-C to DP cable :/ since I did not know what else to do. Looks like lost $40.

Hope you make it work, since it is really frustrating that such a basic thing does not work. C'mon Apple engineers.

This worked for me: unplugged power from USB hub.

Deets: Worked fine on Monterey until update on 2021-02-14. Monitor is connected to MacBook Pro via hdmi through USB hub to Thunderbolt 3 port. None of the other solutions cited worked for me.

No change on latest beta (21E5212f). Also still can't get to the Detect Display button.

Same issue. Same missing manual detection button in display settings.

This is my first MacBook and given the laundry list of bugs I've encountered in MacOS, will probably be my last.

I've tried every proposed solution I could find online. Also called AppleCare, and they couldn't figure it out. Their only guess was that my monitor was incompatible, but they don't have a compatibility list. So, even if I buy a new monitor, no way of knowing if it will work. I'm speechless.

Experienced same issue today after owning my 2021 MacBook Pro M1 for 3 days. Monitor was not detected after a reboot. Here's my set up:

LG 32UN880-B - https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-32un880-b-4k-uhd-led-monitor Monterey 12.2.1

Steps I tried to get this to work again...switched monitor input to HDM1 and DisplayPort then back to USB-C which still didn't work. Power off the monitor and unplug USB-C cable from laptop. Plugged it back in and power on the monitor and she's back! So glad it's working again otherwise it'll kill my productivity for a long time.

I did install Monitor Control app yesterday to adjust my LG monitor screen brightness and volume (LG OnScreen Control app is so buggy even after the recent release) so I was wondering if a 3rd party app cause this issue.

For others, I would recommend to disconnect everything and try SMC or PRAM reset then reconnect everything to see if it's able to detect again.

27 Inch Thunderbolt display to a 2022 M1 MacBook Pro, doesn't work.

Having to use 4 year old MacBook Pro in the meantime.

Apple, do something about this. Monterey is awful and I'm surprised this Mac came with it, and thanks for also removing Detect Displays which may have helped things.

Same problem on a new 14" M1 MB Pro. I upgraded from a MacBook Air, running Monterey 12.1, which worked fine with the external display. I tried the monitor on an iMac and it worked fine. Perhaps a problem with activating the HDMI port? Thanks in advance to whoever solves this one please.

No change on 12.3 Beta (21E5222a), still only one monitor working. No 'Detect Displays' button either.

I tried turning off both monitors at the same time, turned them back on, and it switched to the other monitor. Makes no sense...

Same here

I have the same problem, yesterday after the suggested upgrade to macOS Monterey 12.2.1 of my MacBookProEarly2011, the computer dont recognize the second monitor. I have a samsung monitor. Could someone help me?

This issue is driving me crazy. It would be nice of @apple to acknowledge that they are looking into it...

I had this when updating to Big Sur 12.1, but haven’t experienced it again since updating to 12.2.1

(MacBook Pro 2017, one monitor without an adaptor and the other HDMI with adaptor)

Hello all,

I had the same issue and could not figure it out for a while. By trial and error was able to resolve it. Here is what I found. I have one screen connected through usb c directly, another one was connected through a dongle that had hdmi connection and it was not working. The problem for me as I learned was that I had another dongle connected for usb devices, like external hard drive and keyboard. It has an hdmi port, BUT I had nothing connected to it. It still created an issue. As soon as I connected a dongle without any hdmi ports, everything started working properly. Both screens work now. Hopefully this can be helpful to someone else.

I have a Caldigit TS3 hooked to my Mac Mini, it has the latest updates. I disconnected it, rebooted, and still can only get one monitor to work. I saw a new developer beta dropped, I'll update to latest public beta once it drops and see how it goes.

Just updated to the latest public beta (21E5227a) and no change. This time I only had the two external monitors connected to my mac mini, installed the update, when it came back up there was no change. The Detect Displays button is also still missing.

No change on 21E230 - the RC for 12.3. Detect Display button still missing.

Can no longer detect 2nd display in MacOS Monterey

Q