Xcode 13.1 will gets "stuck" on iOS Monterey/ New 2021 pro

I have been trying to download Xcode 13.1 on the new 16" MacBook pro-2021, with iOS Monterey and it keeps getting stuck at the very end. I have tried restarting and redownloading it on my computer, but it keeps getting stuck. Is anyone else having this issue? There should be no reason that Xcode won't run on the new M1 Pro chips, so I am wondering if it is an issue with iOS Monterey.

TIA!

• FWIW, I have the same problem and I am working with Big Sur (11.6.1.) on an intel-based system. So I don't think the problem has anything to do with Monterey or the M1 chipset.

For me, it's hanging at about 97% complete. I'm unable to stop the install/upgrade (I did have the prior version already installed on this laptop). A reboot of the system had no effect on the problem.

• Same on a 2020 Intel MB Pro 13" on MacOS 12.0.1. Tried uninstalling Xcode (worked for me in the past with similar issues with apps installed via the App Store) but now the App Store still shows it partly downloaded.

• Intel-based Big Sur here with same issue. I installed another app at the same time and it hung as well. After rebooting, the other app said it was done but Xcode was still hung.

Replies

I am wondering if it is an issue with iOS Monterey

Presumably you mean macOS Monterey here (-:

Also, I presume you’re trying to download Xcode using the Mac App Store. That’s a supported technique but it does introduce a bunch of complexity, and I can’t help you with that (App Store download problems are the purview of Apple Support).

Having said that, I generally recommend that developers download Xcode from the Downloads area on the developer web site. That yields a number of benefits:

• There are fewer complexities, and thus fewer opportunities for problems, than in the App Store case.

• You can download it once and install it on multiple machines (both physical and virtual).

• You can install multiple copies of Xcode, for regression testing and for testing during beta cycles.

Click More (at the top right) to get to the archive where you’ll find Xcode 13.1.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Add a Comment

Looks like it's downloading VERY slowly and the progress within the App Store application doesn't match the progress of the Xcode.app progress wheel in from Finder in the Applications folder. It's been downloading/updating for 6 hours...almost done.

• Good luck!

• Yeah, it took 11 hours but finally finished.

• It took me almost 6 hours to complete for macOS Monterey but finally done.

The downloads page you linked only has the option to download from the App Store.

Right. However, if you click More at the top right you get to the downloads archive which includes Xcode 13.1 and a whole bunch of other stuff.

Clearly some screen shots are in order; I’ve pasted them in at the bottom.

Share and Enjoy

• That worked! Good to know, thanks!

Add a Comment

So this has become absurd. I have a 2016 MacBook Pro and a 2014 Mac mini that have been downloading and "installing" Xcode now for 3 days. They all get stuck during the final install. For days. I can't even stop it and delete it. I have tried safe mode, rebooting, deleting the app from the application folder, and nothing works. Both machines are slowed to a crawl. About about ready to wipe the MacBook Pro and reinstall Monterey but I'd like to avoid that.

Anybody?

• I'm also having trouble with Xcode 13.1 and Monterey. I have a 2017 iMac.

I downloaded Xcode 13.1 via the Developer website. It took the usual time to expand and install.

However, upon opening Xcode 13.1, the icon on the dock bounces for a minute or two, then stops. (The black dot under the app icon on the dock doesn't show up to indicate the app as open.). However, trying to do anything else on the computer was painfully slow, so I then looked in the "Force Quit" choices, and Xcode appears there. As expected, force-quitting Xcode solves the slowness of the computer.

The iMac is Intel-based, so I have rebooted using Cmd + Opt + P + R, and tried it again, with the same result.

I have rebooted using Cmd + R to reinstall Monterey, with the same result.

I have redownloaded and reinstalled Xcode 13.1 after both rebootings above, and it still "opens" with the minute or two of the bouncing icon, before it rests back into the dock, and with "Force Quit" showing Xcode as still open.

I've had similar issues with a few Xcode versions in the past. I generally stop trying to resolve the problem, continue to use the previous version of Xcode, and just wait until the next version is out, and the newer one works smoothly.

Good luck to anyone who doesn't have the luxury of waiting for the next version!

• Success! I retried installing Xcode 13.1, with an added reboot after expanding the .xip and before trying to open Xcode. It opened like a champ, asked to install additional components. I clicked to install them, it went forward and opened like a champ.

• Same issue on my new M1 macbook pro. Downloaded 13.2.1 from developer page as detailed above and then followed the steps listed in the post above. Worked just fine.

Using a MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020)

After downloading Xcode 13.1 from the App Store 🤒 on Monterey neither able to cancel update nor restart laptop been stuck on this screen, any suggestions been ~2+ hours

• I had the same issue too. It is stuck at 2.96GB installing ... for the last 2 days. Visual Studio automatic update 16.11.7 messed me up as always :)

Anyone was able to get pass this yet?

• Go to your system preferences and unbox "Automatically keep my Mac up to date" option. Do it also in Advance option too. It worked for me.

Add a Comment

any suggestions

Sorry, no.

As I mentioned above, issues with downloading apps from App Store is the purview of Apple Support.

Share and Enjoy

This is what I think after skimming through the Xcode Support page, -> https://developer.apple.com/support/xcode I think that when you look at the requirements for the Xcode 13.1 or .2 the macOS Monterey has not really been included, the os verifications persist from macOS Big Sur to the later version. Just a first patch for macOS Monterey has been released and its even a minor patch, ie 12.0.1. So I think that apple are yet to release a version of Monterey compatible with Xcode

• Thats funny. Doesn't seem to work to me, or anyone else on this forum at the moment.

Add a Comment

I think that apple are yet to release a version of Monterey compatible with Xcode

I’m not sure how you came to that conclusion. Xcode 13.1 and later are fully compatible with macOS 12.

Note that the second column of the table is Minimal OS Required. When it says, for example, that Xcode 13.1 requires macOS Big Sur 11.3, it means that it works on that OS release and later ones.

Share and Enjoy

Facing same problem here in Macbook Air M1 with Monterey update. Now its not even downloading. the download in not resuming after restarting the Mac. this might be a system bug. Apple fix this ASAP

same exact problem using a 2021 14 inch m1 pro. Tried to use app store to update xcode to 13.2.1 or something, and now it's stuck "installing" in launchpad. I tried deleted the xcode app and also Alt and clicking X, then shutting down, but cannot get it to stop trying to install. In AppStore in xcode page there's a spinning circle but no stop button in the middle.

Its gotta be macOS Monterey. I have a 2020 MacBook Pro 13 (Four Thunderbolt) This one has an I7 Intel chip in it, so it's not the M1 thats causing the issue.

have run into the very same issue... MBP 13inch 2020 with M1 and 12.2 freshly installed. First Xcode didn't get installed at all off the App Store but with the downloaded xip it worked - however uploading to App Store Connect never finishes. I've also tried to only export and upload via Transporter. Interestingly enough this works but results in "Invalid Binary" errors in TestFlight. This whole mess renders my complete dev workflow effin useless.... 😫

Having this problem with Xcode 13.3. Quit the app store, threw away the Xcode app, and restarted the app store. Now I am seeing a progress circle, and it is progressing, though pretty slowly.

Ticked me off: I was all ready to code when this happened.

I managed to cancel the installation somehow (MacBook Pro M1 - Monterey)

First I moved Xcode to bin (not sure why it was already installed in the first place, when the install never finished and I was installing on a new machine).

Then in launchpad I pressed and held the Xcode icon, and after a while closed it with the X icon. I think I had to do it twice, but in the end I got rid of the neverending installation.

For anyone who's like me been searching for a way out of this absurd situation. The solution is to force quit the 'installed' process from the activity monitor. It's a root process and only quitting it won't work, you have to force quit it.

This effectively stopped the never ending loop of "installing" Xcode. It's now back to the cloud icon of redownloading in the app store.

It's insane that this is an official Apple product (their main development platform) and it's bugged at the very early stage of installation (bugging your whole system in the process, by pegging the CPU cores endlessly). Oh and mind you this is on the latest 14" M1 Pro MacBook Pro (again, their own hardware) with the latest version of Monterey at the time of writing this comment.

When people told me Xcode is giant mess of bugs and frustrations I didn't believe them. Well, now I most definitely do.

Moral of the story: don't install Xcode from the App Store (or don't install it at all if you can afford).

UPDATE: after going through this whole process, if you want to redownload Xcode from the App Store (I did try it) you can, and the spinning wheel was there again. But this time it resolved after a few minutes and the application was successfully installed. But I purposely tried to keep the laptop awake the whole time. I think if your laptop goes to sleep in the middle of this process, it causes the installer to bug and spin indefinitely.

• Awesome <3 thanks for figuring out this.

• Great job. The name of the process seems to be "installd", not "installed", though. Next problem is to reclaim the 14 gigs of disk space that were used for the App Store download and which were not freed up after ending installd. Any ideas how to do that? I guess Disk Utility may be the next stop...

• I message/call Apple's support to let them see the problem, but didn't get an answer yet. I downloaded from App Store which I though it's safe/fast but now it's not, and I try download it from website, Hope it would works, thank you

Add a Comment