MacOS 12.0.1 Monterey Bluetooth issues

Hi, I am an application developer for Mac. Our application uses bluetooth to connect to our hardware devices.

Since the upgrade to MacOS 12.0.1 Monterey Bluetooth is broken customer wide. Hence pairing works but our driver cannot connect (code worked for MacOS 10.7 - 11.3). The internet reports a lot of Bluetooth issues related to Broadcom BT on Monterey and the Bluetooth Framework has changed significantly by Apple.

1. Where can I find detailed information about Apple's Bluetooth changes ?

2. Should I just wait until Apple fixes this from their side ?

Any other guidance is appreciated.

Thank you?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of pkiman Down vote post of pkiman
51k views
  • Here same problem "No name or address" in the console log.

https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/692615?answerId=692763022

The Bluetooth Core on Monterey is buggy.

• Hi!

I don't have a solution but want to report the same problem here. Maybe this helps to get more attention. We also use bluetooth to connect to our hardware. Worked until 11.6.

Crashed Thread:        4  Dispatch queue: com.apple.bluetooth.iobluetooth.coordinatorQueue

• same problem, waitting for fix it.

Accepted Reply

Our production application has also been unable to create Bluetooth socket connections since the last update. We have validated this issue with two independent API for Bluetooth connection -- all of which are fully functional up to and including Big Sur.

Customers having upgraded to Monterey are all unable to connect their devices to our desktop application. This is critical and we are waiting for a fix.

• Apple devs any chance you can fix this ASAP

• ASAP (or sooner) would be very helpful.

• Is Apple ever going to fix this bluetooth problem? since my mac updated I can no longer connect to my iphone which means i cant use airplay to transfer files from iphone to mac, strangely it works the other way round, so annoying, when i try to connect via bluetooh on my phone to my macbook i just get an error message saying my macbook isnt supported,

Replies

Hi there!

I've been through this for weeks, using Monterey without any success bluetooth connection. Until today, its work perfectly smooth.

I simply using application called ToothFairy for bluetooth connection and my magic mouse is all functioning again. No more connect-disconnected randomly.

Gonna try this for more days.

Hope its help.

Thank you.

• Toothfairy worked to solve the audio connection/disconection issue for one day and then the issue reasserted itself. My m1 mini bluetooth audio to third party earbuds, (and Microsoft mouse worked fine under Big Sur: then Monterey basically stuffed bluetooth.

Even when "disconnected" sometimes the audio buds will connect with the Music App to control playback, despite not being able to convey music, and utterly absent from the sound preference pane, and showing no connection in the Bluetooth pane.

My m1 Pro 16" has exactly the same issues as the M1 Mac Mini under Monterey, and the 12.1 Update provided no improvement.

Apple has admitted the problems exist and has collected all the relevant log files (including comparison Big Sur logs), but seems to have made no effort to resolve the issue to date (20/12/21).

Reinstalling Big Sur 11.6.1 in a separate container(dual boot) on the M1 Mac mini restored bluetooth functionality, so the issue is that Monterey is not yet suitable for public release. It was released to early in its development cycle just so that theMarketing guys could promote the idea that M1 Pro Macbbooks were faster. (Monterey 12.0.1 by my testing shows a 3% performance improvement in Geekbench over Big Sur 11.6.1). It would have been better if Apple had released the new Macbook Pros with a special version of Big Sur that recognised the new architecture (eg., v11.6.1a). But no, they went with crippling bluetooth on the new M1 Pro MacBooks for no useful reason.

Another Monterey issue which complicates the bluetooth failure is that v.1 Usb hubs such as Apple wired keyboards also fail to be recognised by the OS when connected. So clamshell mode depends entirely on having just the right external keyboard/mouse combo.

• I have been unable to connect iOS Devices via ToothFairy because you first have to connect the deices via the standard Bluetooth connection on MacOS - ToothFairy then uses those native Bluetooth connections to create shortcuts for connecting deices.

Add a Comment

My Apple Wireless Keyboard is no more able to connect with bluetooth after update to Monterey. Need fix!

My Qt BLE apps ran fine in earlier macos, but did not run on my 2021 Powerbook M1 Max (Monterey macOS 12.0.1, Xcode 13.1). I noticed that Lightblue and nRFConnect BLE tools ran fine on the M1, so I suspected that this was a permissions issue with Qt-created apps. I used Xcode to edit the plist template in clang_64/mkspecs/macx-clang/Info.plist.app to add 5 permissions

<key>Privacy - Bluetooth Always Usage Description</key>\n
<string>App uses BLE</string>\n
<key>Privacy - Bluetooth Peripheral Usage Description</key>\n
<string>App uses BLE</string>
<key>Privacy - Location Usage Description</key>
<key>Privacy - Location Always Usage Description</key>
<key>Privacy - Location When In Use Usage Description</key>

Delete your shadow-build directory, use Qt Creator to re-build (which uses the new plist with BLE permissions), and now Qt BLE apps run on Monterey!

• I am Qt developer and meet this issue too, could you please contact me by email:liangwucas at gmail.com, I have some question to consult

Add a Comment

Same here. Sometimes when I try to connect something like a controller, it asks me to put in a code. I'm sure it has to do with something in the bluetooth drivers.

Same here - since installing Monterey on my mid-2015 15 inch MBP my Bluetooth keyboard loses its pairing after a few hours of (keyboard) standby. I have to delete it from Bluetooth devices and re-pair it. Previously I could just hit one of the keys, and, after a couple of seconds, the Mac would recognise it.

Same here.

Device: iPhone iOS 15.0 & iMac macOS monterey 12.2

Question: After I update macOS system newest version,The Bluetooth connection does not match. Even if it is connected, it will be disconnected immediately.

The issue can be still reproduced on Monterey 12.2. Apple has not respond to my bug report.

Apples Motto: Move fast and break things, they got the money, you the bill.

The same problem is occurring here...

iOS 15.2.1 Monterey 12.2

The error message tells that the device is not compatible.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of rcph Down vote reply of rcph

Found an interesting half-solution for apps that use Bluetooth: Reset the Security & Privacy settings for this app in Bluetooth section.

Background:

1. Custom QT app for custom BLE device.
  2. The app crashes when connecting to the device.
  3. After Monterrey 12.1 update the app started working, but for the first run only.
  4. Reinstalling the app didn't help.
  5. It was accidentally found that when a prompt about "APP would like to use Bluetooth" is shown and agreed - the app is able to safely and soundly connect to the Bluetooth device. Once the app is closed these settings must be reset manually for the next run.
  • There is a patch available for Qt that fixes these crashes, I can confirm that it works. Search for it in the bug tracker, perhaps it is already included in one of the releases.

• Does your custom BLE device implement PIN code pairing? If so, does pairing work for you?

Add a Comment

the same problem。。。。。

I have issues with connecting my Redragon k530 keyboard after upgrading to macOS Monterey. As soon as I turn off my keyboard and turn it back on, it gets reset for no reason and I have to remove it from the Bluetooth list and pair it again. I checked its logs with an app called "BlueSee" and I found this error in logs:

22:08:47.8950: failed to connect in underlying BLE layer: Error Domain=CBErrorDomain Code=14 "Peer removed pairing information" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Peer removed pairing information} 22:08:47.8960: state changed to 'Disconnected' with error: Peer removed pairing information

The issue can be still reproduced on macOS Monterey 12.2.1.

If possible don't upgrade to MacOS Monterey until Apple fixed bluetooth core. I'll downgrade (re-install) to the previous MacOS.

The issue hasn't been fixed in 12.3 beta =(

I used to use http://www.acrosscenter.com/ up until Monterey destroyed the Bluetooth stack on my Mac... now I wish I never had updated to it and will be very very reluctant to update again.

This is the developer of across's comment about why it is no longer working:

Hi, Orvar,

Please consult to apple instead of us as mentioned in the previous release note.

We have no choice but to wait for fix in macOS BT stack. BT stack does not work at all. What do you think we can do for it?

Recent macOS versions are ******** poor quality. 

I must say that after reading this thread about the problem I agree with him... This seems to be Apples fault ... and they do not care enough to fix it .. or even admit there is a problem, which I find arrogant and irritating. I can't find any official Apple comment about the problem...

I used to love my development environment where I had full control from my Mac and could even use my wireless headphones :-) ... and was going to buy new MacBook Pro with the M1 chip .... but now I really find it hard to motivate ...

Without working BT MacOS is crippled ... maybe I should get a Linux laptop instead, because this really sucks.