Outlook search not works in Monterey

I have a new MBP M1, with fresh Monterey. I moved my data with the assistant from the old MBP, I have all the letters in Outlook (v15.46), but search in Outlook not works, it gives a "No results found" message in all folders. Old methods for reindex Spotlight is not working (eg. add and remove Main Profile to Spotlight). How can I solve this problem? Thanks

Post marked as downvoted Up vote post of moroczi Down vote post of moroczi
68k views
  • Same issue on Mac Book Pro 14 on Monterey. Outlook shows no search results. Tried following steps:

Deleting/Adding exchange accountInstalling Outlook againAdding and removing Outlook Profile from Spotlight privacy tab per https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/troubleshoot/outlook-for-mac/useful-tools
  • Same issue here. I setup my new 16" MBP M1 Max using target mode a few weeks ago and it worked fine. Setup another user using the same method and his indexing didn't work. Had to set the machine up from scratch for it to start working properly. We both ran the update today and now we're getting "No results". I did all of the suggestions from Microsoft and none of them work.

• Im on the latest 12.1 Monterey and the latest version of Outlook V 16.56 (21121100) and my search has stopped working also as well as my smart folder which is supposed to show my flagged emails but now shows "No results"

Replies

Downloaded the new OS Beta 12.2 Beta (21D5025f) that came out just now . Busy reindexing Spotlight (Moving Macintosh HD to Private then out in the spotlight preferences) and waiting the reindexing to complete. I do see some searches in outlook bringing results , so hopefully once the indexing is complete this may work..

• I saw the same thing. I watched the flagged items come into the smart folder. The problem is once you leave the smart folder and come back. it is empty

Add a Comment

These are the steps, I always repeat after migrating accounts to new machines to fix Outlook/Spotlight issues. Not my genius, just the extract of webhints and some trial and error. Since 10.14 I performed these steps successfully on a ton of Macs.

First steps: Ask Spotlight to re-register all installed search plugins. Kill dock (I don't know why, but it doesn't hurt and restarts immediately). Re-enable indexing.

Second steps: Delete Outlooks sqlite database, it will find out and rebuild. Start Outlook, it will perform a auto-repair. On large accounts, take care of available disk space before.

After these steps, Outlook/Spotlight will perform together again.

New on Monterey: Upgrade from 12.01 to 12.1. Outlook search broke again. Used the simple Spotlight privacy add/remove steps. Spotlight started indexing, Outlook search is working again.

These are the steps I use to fix the issue:

1. Quit Microsoft Outlook!
  2. Perform these steps in the terminal (admin permissions needed):
sudo /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -seed -lint -r -f -v -dump -domain local -domain system -domain user -domain network

killall Dock

sudo mdutil -E /
  1. Navigate to (replace "YOURPROFILE" with the profile name you need to fix, i.e. "Main profile"):
~/Library/Group\ Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/Outlook/Outlook\ 15\ Profiles/YOURPROFILE/Data

and move the file "Outlook.sqlite" to the trash.

1. Start Outlook. It reports, that it needs a reapir and starts rebuilding its database.

Wait upon completion, Outlook comes up again. Some patience needed, until Spotlight has finished indexing.

If Spotlight still doesn't love it (see notes above, 12.1 update), add YOURPROFILE to Spotlight privacy and remove it.

I use these steps as a common routine after migrating/upgrading Macs to fix the Outlook/Spotlight issue, nevertheless try at your own risk.

Edit: On large mail accounts, Outlook needs a while to rebuild. 100 GB may take an hour or more to finish, depending on the speed of your machine/disk. Show information of the YOURPROFILE folder, to get its size prior rebuilding. Be sure, there is enough disk space for a rebuilt. After completion, you should trash the backup copy.

• I can confirm, that my fix doesn't work anymore with 12.1, sorry. Search results will be shown shortly and gone with the next start of Outlook.

Add a Comment

Solution by Zapf_Dingbats seems to fix the issue, at least search return somethings

EDIT: it works for a while now, no result

I had some feedback from Apple through the developer 'feedback' application...

'We're actively investigating this issue, and would like you to provide some additional info & logging. '

I have provided additional information as requested, so hopefully its getting some traction :)

It is insane that basic things simply do not work ! New Apple Standard ? Moreover: official support documents describe fixes which do not work at all. Frustrating to no end .. .. (MacBook Pro, Monterey 12.1, Apple M1 Pro)

So installing Monterey 12.2 Beta 1 didn't solve the issue , did all the reindexing etc.

I have addressed the situation with Apple support and unfortunately have no good result yet. However, we have tried creating a new user on the Mac and then logging into Outlook. It downloaded all the messages and if I gave a search term during the download process, it found the messages. In this case, however, the messages seemed to be downloading to the cache

So apparently the problem is that macOS does not allow access to the indexes where the emails are stored permanently.

I am trying to contact Apple support again.

I have same issue after upgrade to Monterey 12.1, before with 12.0.1 no problem I tried everything, re-index spotlight, deleting "Outlook.sqlite", and other but have no result. I think only the MacOS update is a solution

A. 12.2 do not fix the issue B. when re-indexing it was working for a while (when re-indexing was going on) C. Can do a search in the spotlight and result is there

I can only conclude that some things since 12.1 broke the access of outlook to the index

Monterey is the worst OS of apple IMHO

• You're right! Indexing gives hope that the problem is solved only while indexing ... The problem with searching is also the problem with filtering messages in Outlook. The only workaround is to search directly through spotlight and click your result/message there.

Add a Comment

Same issue - New Mbook 16" M1Max -  I have done all tricks and solutions I can find to no avail. I completely uninstalled outlook and all traces of my profile, have just reinstalled two of my accounts that are o365 servers and swap between "new" outlook and "old" outlook - the new outlook populates search instantly with full results and no issue, I swap the tab over to "old" and metadata searches don't work - from:Email address = return no results and just using a few letters or first name does barely function, albeit at a snails pace. I have two business accounts that are on premises exchange servers so "new" outlook is not an option..

Same issue on my new MacBook Pro 14'' an Monterey 12.1. On my old MacBook and BigSur everything still works fine with the same Outlook Version. So I believe it must be an apple problem. Regarding to that I will use my old MacBook until the problem will be solved ;-(

For me, it's really strange that when I do the spotlight privacy trick, it works for a few seconds before going back to "no results" for new queries. It's driving me crazy..

MacBook Pro 14" with M1 Pro, Monterey 12.1 and Outlook 16.54, same problem here. Already tried all the above workarounds, none worked. It all started with 12.0.1 upgrade, as far as I remember. It even affects Intel machines, got a MacBook Air 2020 upgraded to Monterey 12.1, of course the upgrade broke Outlook search (16.56) even on that one. Luckily I got a 13" MacBook Pro M1 still on Big Sur that works perfectly, but I feel a bit angry for buying such a machine and not being able to getting things done. I'm really starting to think about downgrading to Big Sur.

The below steps worked for me even my OS is Monterey.

It seems there is a bug that outlook profile corrupt after updating Monterey to 12.1

If you are using macOS Catalina, try to fix the issue by deleting the Outlook profile and adding it again as follows:

From Finder, open the Applications folder. Ctrl+click or right-click Microsoft Outlook, and then select Show Package Contents. Open Contents > SharedSupport, and then launch Outlook Profile Manager. Select the profile that you want to remove, and then choose the Delete the selected profile button. Restart Outlook and add the profile again.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/troubleshoot/outlook-for-mac/useful-tools

• It doesn't help. The search works only while re-indexing for the new profile continues.

• It worked for me! Air m1 Monterey 12.1 UPD - yes, it's working only while re-index goes... =(

• What does removing that profile in the profile manager do? Does it have to rebuild the profile?

Add a Comment

I guess I will have to wait for a fix from Microslut. Ever since using outlook Mac I have had this problem on and off. Why I bother to pay for another app that does the same thing as is included with Apple OS I don't know. I guess the joke is on me!!!!!!

• Finally somebody is NOT directly jumping to the conclusion that it MUST be Apple's fault. Actually, the fact that a) search works perfectly in Finder and b) it ALSO works in "New Outlook" makes me guess that it's rather an Outlook issue...

Add a Comment