Xcode 13.2 - Internal error : Missing Package Description Module

Hi guys, just updated Xcode to 13.2 via Mac App Store.

I installed the additional components, and my project won't compile anymore : Xcode just tells me "Internal error: missingPackageDescriptionModule - Resolving Package Graph Failed" when attempting to build. None of the Swift packages used within my app seems to build, because "Package resolution errors must be fixed before building".

Already attempted to clean derived data, reset Swift package caches and update package versions to no avail.

Guess I'll try re-installing Xcode but... does anyone else have the same issue ?

Using an M1 Mac and just updated to Monterey 12.1 if that's relevant.

Thank you !

Answered by DTS Engineer in 698777022

Xcode 13.2.1, released today, addresses this issue:

Resolved an issue where the Mac App Store version of Xcode failed during package resolution with the error Internal error: missingPackageDescriptionModulewhen using Swift packages either standalone or as dependencies in an Xcode project or workspace. (86435800) (FB9807887)

This update is available through the Mac App Store, as well as a direct download on the Apple Developer website.

So, after trying out the releases section version, it now crashes when I attempt to build the project.

I.e., I now have 3 versions of Xcode, same version number, same build number exhibiting the following behaviors:

1. App Store version: SPM does not work

2. Releases downloadable version: Crashes on build

3. RC version: works

🤷‍♂️

Same old same

Same issue here

I'm facing same issues and I have 3 apps that need to be pushed to review before Christmas :(

As a temp solution, i downloaded Xcode 13.1 from here, unarchive it, and use without uninstalling current Xcode version. Now i'm able to build and run projects with SPM. This is kind of workaround until apple will fix current version.

Same issue here. xcode13.2 MacBook Pro 2018 Inter.Wasted precious time all day

Same issue here, Xcode 13.2 on Monterey 12.1, Apple M1

Internal error: missingPackageDescriptionModule Xcode 13.2 on Monterey 12.1

xcode 13 beta 1: wow this stuff is buggy! Hope they will fix it till the release time.

xcode 13 release: damn this thing is just as buggy! How on earth this could have happen?

xcode 13.1: hope this time they fixed autocompletion and syntax highlight, at least. NOPE

xcode 13.2: spm is totally broken with hundreds of sounds of working hours and terabytes of traffic wasted across the globe.

Hey Apple, could you please make a survey not only regarding "customer satisfaction" but also "developer satisfaction"? Cause mine is close to 0%, and I am not the only one. Hope the results will be shared on wwdc2022 keynote.

Nice update!!! It's totally made my day. Thank you Apple.

Same issue here, Xcode 13.2 on Monterey 12.1, Apple Macbook Pro 2017

Same here. My SPM-based projects are currently unusable with Xcode 13.2. Keeping fingers crossed for a quick fix. 🤞 In the meantime, I guess my only option is to revert back to Xcode 13.1. 😞

Same problem! Had to revert back to the prior Xcode version! This is really bad!

Works! Download xCode from https://developer.apple.com/download/release/ Run for install. Product -> Clean Build Folder. File - > Packages -> (Click all submenus). Build.

I have not uninstalled the current version of xCode 13.2 installed from the App Store.

PS: But the new installation ended up in the Downloads folder. Thus, I ended up with two xCode

Thank you to everyone reporting this issue. If you are here because you're seeing this issue, please read the Apple Recommended post, which contains a workaround.

—jasonag.

for me the only solution was to go back to Xcode 13.1

My update to 13.2 happened this morning via accepting prompt to update Xcode tools. The day prior my app compiled. Today get missing package error. Clearing package caches didn't work. In the end, the Apple solution below worked. I downloaded 13.2 from the developer site. After decompressing the monster (32GB) I moved the Xcode App from Downloads to Applications selecting the option to REPLACE what was there. On first build I got a different package error but also noticed a warning to update project settings. In for a penny, in for a pound, I went ahead and let Xcode update the project settings. Then I tried again. This time the app built successfully. So in my case it was a combination of a complete replacement of Xcode 13.2 and updating my project settings as recommended by Xcode.

I am in the same mess. and sure it is the over hyped M1

ERRRMMM.. Seriously? QA on Christmas break are they? I have a project I have to deliver by end of week and you throw this at me. WHY? You trying to make me loose my position?

Sort your sh1t out apple Steve would never have allowed this. Its disgusting.

*** is going on at Apple? This has been an issue for more than 24 hours yet auto-update (which I had turned off, so please stop turning it back on) installed this very obviously and entirely broken version of Xcode just a short two hours ago. APPLE, DELIST THE BROKEN VERSION AND STOP WASTING EVERYONE'S TIME. It doesn't help Apple's terrible servers can't serve downloads at higher than 5 MB/s when I'm on gigabit internet. You'd think the most valuable company on the planet could achieve basic things.

Intel MacBookPro 2017 also affected. Can't compile anything.

It's terrible, waste time to download Xcode again. Fortunately, I didn't remove the pod file from my project. Remove all SPM packages, and reuse cocoapods , clean build folder, restart Xcode. The issue was gone

Same issue with me!

I have a similar issue building an installer plugin which has as Swift package included (don't ask me why). I got different but similar build error messages initially. I installed the additional tools required by Xcode and also updated the command line tools xcode-select --install. After all the updates my latest error is:

Cleaning Installer Plugin...
xcodebuild: error: Could not resolve package dependencies:
  Internal error: missingPackageDescriptionModule
Build failed at "all" action with error:
Fail: ./installer-plugin/build.sh returned code 74
Aborted.

That's my build command:

local symroot="$(xcodebuild -showBuildSettings -project "${XCB_PROJECT}" -scheme "${XCB_SCHEME}" | grep SYMROOT | sed -n 2p | sed -e 's#.*=\(\)#\1#' | sed 's/^ *//g')"

same here!!!!

Xcode 13.2 - Internal error : Missing Package Description Module

Q