Multiplatform project error on Xcode 14 beta: Your target is built for macOS but contains embedded content built for the iOS platform

When creating a new Multiplatform project on Xcode 14 beta and adding a Notification Service Extension Target, compilation fails with:

error build: Your target is built for macOS but contains embedded content built for the iOS platform (Notification.appex), which is not allowed.

This really limits the usefulness of the new multiplatform single target, especially if we cannot incorporate basic extensions.

Is there any way to use single target multiplatform and still have the freedom to add necessary extensions to the app?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of smueller Down vote post of smueller
2.7k views

Replies

I found the solution, better late than never I guess? Select your main app target, under the General tab scroll down to Frameworks, Libraries and Embedded Content. Next to your extension, modify the "Filters" and uncheck MacOS. It should build now.

Using XCode 14.3 and I'm having the same issue. I'm adding a widget extension to my multiplatform app just for iOS.

Your target is built for iOS but contains embedded content built for the macOS platform (YAPTWidgetExtension.appex), which is not allowed.

Unchecking macOS from the filter for Frameworks and Libraries and Embedded Content didn't help.

Anyone else has a solution?

• @quonsepto Did you wind up creating a New Target, or were you able to find an alternative solution?

Add a Comment

Was there ever a resolve for the issue mentioned in this thread? I am getting:

Your target is built for watchOS but contains embedded content built for the iOS platform (<my extension name>.appex), which is not allowed.

This after following the steps in Apple docs to add a Widget extension to my Watch app.