iOS 16.0 beta 7 broke Text(Date(), style: .timer) in SwiftUI widgets

Hi, In my apps, the recent iOS 16.0 beta 7 (20A5356a) broke the .timer DateStyle property of the Text view, in a SwiftUI widget.

In previous OS and beta, Text(Date(), style: .timer) was correctly displaying an increasing counter.

In iOS 6.0 beta 7, Text(Date(), style: .timer) does not update anymore, (and is offset to the left).

The other DateStyle (like .offset, .relative, ...) seems to update correctly.

Anyone noticed that (very specific) problem ?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of PacoLabs Down vote post of PacoLabs
8.1k views

Replies

having the same issue, big oof.

Disappointing that this wasn't fixed by the iOS 16 RC but I'm hoping that since it's working in iPadOS 16.1 that it will be fixed as of iOS 16.1.

OK ... so ... it seems that the public version of iOS16, being the same as RC1, still contains the bug.

Let's get ready for support emails from unhappy customers, and bad reviews from the App Store 😞.

(I read that iOS 16.1 is scheduled for November...)

• Hopefully the fix we're seeing in 16.1 beta is also in some 16.0.1 release coming this week or next.

But yes, get ready for emails and 1-star reviews. I already have a few…

Add a Comment

Have the same issue ... All my widgets are broken, disappointed.

Bad news: still on released iOS 16.0. I really wonder did apple engineers using WidgetKit?

Unbelievable - all our widgets broke because of this.

Seems fixed in iOS 16.1 beta 1.

EDIT: Not fixed. Timers on Home Screen widgets count down but stop when you move to a different page. Oh well, good effort, Apple...

It isn't working correctly for me in iOS 16.1 beta 1 (on a physical device). Initially both the Home Screen and Lock Screen widget timer fields do work. However, once I have shown the Lock Screen and go back to the Home Screen widget, the timer has frozen. If I completely lock the phone, then unlock it, the Lock Screen timer changes to the elapsed time, but is no longer actively counting. Returning to the app seems to get the timers going again... until the Lock Screen is shown, then the timers freezes again.

• I have reported this issue FB11512869.

• Thanks for the comment and report submission, I was trying to give you a "thumbs up", but it shows up as "-1" on my page for some reason lol.

Add a Comment

WTH Apple?! How did you broke it in release?! Also filled bug FB11515892 with video and code of problem..

Indeed, the problem is not fully solved on iOS 16.1 beta 1.

With iOS 16.1, the timer updates when I touch the screen, but then the timer stops working. The timer has improved since iOS 16.0, so I think Apple is working on this issue.

Having the same issue and looks like Apple won't bother to fix this. It is so frustrating

We are having the same issue.

Same issue. style: .relative seems to be working. Not the same effect - but works for my use case (countdown) and better than nothing. I will release a version where it is using .relative instead of .timer - and will switch back automatically in 16.1. Hopefully Apple fixes it until that.

• .relative will not work if the remaining time starts to display seconds. The seconds values will not tick at all

• For my widgets it looks like .relative is working on real devices running 16.0.1 - and seconds do count down when less than an hour.

Add a Comment

16.1 Beta 2, same problem.

• Beta 2 ,16.1 still not working.

Add a Comment