How to submit Watch companion apps to App Store on XCode 14

In XCode 14 you can create a single Watch App target instead of the "Watch App for iOS App" target before.

XCode 14:

However, as this is no longer an extension, it is apparently not included when you archive the iOS app for distribution.

My question is: How do I include the new Watch target in my submission of the iOS app? I could not find any documentation on this.

(My Watch app is only a companion app and not a stand-alone watch app).

Accepted Reply

You need to include the extension in the main app's target:

• Click the blue icon at the top of the project view.
  • Select the main app's target.
  • In the "General" tab, locate "Frameworks, Libraries, and Embedded Content".
  • If the Watch app isn't included in the list, click the plus button and select it.
  • Yes, that's what was missing. Thank you! It's weird that XCode does not automatically add the watch app as a dependency, though.

• Great! Thank you so much!

Add a Comment

Replies

When you build your project for distribution, the watch app will be included. The watch app hasn't been an extension on the iOS app since WatchKit 1, so the move from two targets to one hasn't changed the way the watchOS app is bundled with the iOS app for submission.

• I can't follow you. When I first setup the Watch target in XCode 13, XCode created two targets: one Watch App target and one Extension. This is also how it is shown in the latest tutorial: https://developer.apple.com/tutorials/swiftui/creating-a-watchos-app But when I moved to XCode 14 and set up the new single-target for the Watch App is not included in archives and submissions anymore. When I inspect the archive, it is not included and in TestFlight app details it states "Watch App: No".

• I am having the same issue. I have a single target for my Watch app, and as stated in previous message, when viewing the App Details in test Flight, it states Watch App: No. Has anyone resolved this issue?

Note: Watch app is embedded as per other messages here, e.g., as seen under "Frameworks, Libraries, and Embedded Content"

Add a Comment

You need to include the extension in the main app's target:

• Click the blue icon at the top of the project view.
  • Select the main app's target.
  • In the "General" tab, locate "Frameworks, Libraries, and Embedded Content".
  • If the Watch app isn't included in the list, click the plus button and select it.
  • Yes, that's what was missing. Thank you! It's weird that XCode does not automatically add the watch app as a dependency, though.

• Great! Thank you so much!

Add a Comment