Xcode 14 failed to prepare iOS 15.7 device?

An update to Xcode 14 appeared in the Mac App store today 2022-11-12. After updating Xcode from the App store app on my M1 MacBook, and plugging in an iPad, also updated today 2022-11-12 to iOS 15.7, Xcode says: "Failed to prepare the device for development".

A restart of both the Mac and the iPad doesn't fix this issue. Is there a way to get Xcode 14 to debug an 15.7 iPad? Or is a different build required?

There also is no 15.7 directory inside Xcode's iPhoneOS DeviceSupport directory.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of hotpaw2 Down vote post of hotpaw2
20k views
  • I have same issue. XCode14.0(14A309) does NOT connect to iPadOS 15.7

• LMFAO another 7gb download literally is so crazy and annoying every time ☠️💀

• Same issue. XCode Version 14.1 beta (14B5024h) does NOT work with iOS 15.7.1. Time to download 7gb. this is insanity.

Add a Comment

Apple Recommended

• Xcode 14.0.1 has support for iOS 15.7 and works for me (iPhone 13).

• Instead of 7GB update just support files for 15.7 would been great

• This is not yet available in app store. Since I have installed XCode via AppStore, what should I do?

Replies

Same here MacBook Pro m1 max

I'm stuck, too. None of the IOS devices will talk to my M1 Mac

Ooh! Just noticed that there is an update available for Mac, installing now.

• Updating Mac to 12.6 (21G115) didn't help - still won't talk to iOS 15.7 (19H12). I will try the workaround.

Add a Comment

This is absolutely horrible. First, the iPad pestered me about the update, so I updated to iPad OS 15.7, it stopped working with Xcode 13... So I spent 3 hours installing Xcode 14 because 'not enough disk space', but I still cannot do any development as my iPad 'is not prepared'. Is there even any communications team at apple to tell us devs what's goin on, what can be done about it and if there's any timeline for the fix?

Same issue Mac Studio & M1 MacBook Pro with iphone 13 pro and 11 inch iPad Pro

We are aware of the issue. The Xcode 14 Release notes are updated with a workaround:

Xcode 14 cannot be used with iOS 15.7 for development. (99847608) Workaround: Use Xcode 13.4.1 with iOS 15.7.

• Actually once you use Xcode 13.4.1 and connect to the iOS/iPadOS 15.7 device, Xcode 14 works just fine using the iOS/iPadOS 15.7 device. I'm doing it as I type this.

• Seems like all that's needed is the 15.7 DeveloperDiskImage.dmg in the /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/DeviceSupport folder

• 13.4.1 doesn't support ios 15.7 either.

Devices Support folder is missing Devices and Simulators claims to have prepared the device but xcode will not recognise is and the DeviceSupport folder is still missing. both devices rebooted. Still not playing.

So not really a workaround.

After some experimenting and the suggestions above, I downloaded the Xcode 13.4.1 version, and started it. Next open the devices overview, and wait for the device to be "ready". This initializes the iOS 15.7 version for development I guess.

Next I could use Xcode 14, for development and testing on the device. Even without Xcode 13.4.1 running. (I haven't tried if this still works after a reboot)

Working development environment:

• macOS 12.5
  • Xcode 13.4.1
  • (iPhone 7) iOS 15.6

Yesterday (2022-09-13) updated to:

• macOS 12.6
  • Xcode 14.0
  • (iPhone 7) iOS 15.7

Result: Xcode 14.0 says about iPhone it "failed to prepare device for the deployment".

Downloaded Xcode 13.4.1 xip package, unpacked it (xip -x), copied to /Applications. Started Xcode 13.4.1, it immediately was able to work with my iPhone 15.7. Deployed project to it. Quit Xcode 13.4.1, opened Xcode 14.0, now it was able to work with the iPhone.

Encountering same issue while testing iPad error handling. Unfortunately updating to 15.7 broke testing as well as iPad Pro model MM172CL/A "Airplane Mode" in settings no longer works since I need to use that feature in my tests as well.

Fix: cd /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/DeviceSupport sudo ln -s 15.5 15.7

Explanation: Xcode 13.4.1 contains DeviceSupport folders up to 15.5 and works with iOS 15.7 devices. 15.7 is missing in 14.0, it will try to use 15.6, which fails to prepare the iOS device for development. If we copy 15.5 to 15.7 or create a link, the 15.5 folder is used, which works for iOS 15.7. My iPhone 7 Plus is recognised instantly over the network, and Developer menu appears in Settings.

• This worked perfectly for an iPad Mini 6 that had been upgraded to iPadOS 15.7. Thank you!

• Yep. This is the workaround.

• If I simply go that folder, duplicate 15.5, rename to 15.7 and restart Xcode, the "15.7" doesn't show up in the drop-down menu. What am I missing?

Not sure why, but after upgrading to macOS 12.6, now I can deploy the app to iPad with iOS 15.7 by Xcode 14 which does not support iOS 15.7 (previously it's impossible with old macOS version 12.5) 😅

Xcode 14.0 (14A309) is not having iOS 15.7 Device support sdk. Therefore unable to run on these devices. To Solve this problem, there is two option.

1. downgrade or degrade iOS into the Device.
  2. Add the device support iOS sdk into the Xcode 14.
  • Xcode 14.0.1 has support for iOS 15.7 and works for me (iPhone 13).

• Instead of 7GB update just support files for 15.7 would been great

• This is not yet available in app store. Since I have installed XCode via AppStore, what should I do?

Same problem for me. Xcode 14.0 and iPhone with iOS 15.7 can't be connected. Restarted Mac and iPhone (this several times), no change. How can such a big bug happen?

Today I succeeded updating Xcode from 13.3.1 to 14.0.1 in the AppStore, and could build and run my App on my iPhone SE (1st Gen) under iOS 15.7.