Failed to verify your identity. Try Again - Error on AppStore Connect / Developer / SearchAds

This error appeared yesterday out of the blue. I'd been on appstoreconnect.apple.com working on an app update and later in the day when I tried to log in again I immediately get the error, "Failed to verify your identity. Try Again". No verification code is sent and it's not a password issue, as that's a different error.

I'm able to log in to iOS devices and Apple's apps, like the App Store Connect App. I was even able to log in to the Apple Support App and change my password, but I still couldn't access any Apple websites. If I try to log in to icloud.com, searchads, appstoreconnect.apple.com, developer.apple.com, or appleid.apple.com I immediately get the same error and no 2FA code is sent.

I've seen online that others have had this issue and some resolved it by appending a verification code to the end of their password, but that hasn't worked for me. (Even though Apple's sites fail to send the 2FA I was able to get a code by going into iOS Settings->iCloud->Passwords & Security->Send Code).

Has anyone had this issue and been able to resolve it?

I've seen online that people have periodically experienced this issue for years, but I've seen no solution other than the code-appending trick.

Apple Developer Support and regular Apple Support haven't been able to help so far (they also told me to try appending a 2FA code to my password). I had to create another Apple ID just to be able to get back into this forum and also the Contact Support page. But now that I have a support case the only way I can communicate with the rep is by logging in with the ID that actually has the login issue.

The issue may be rare, but it's been around for several years and Apple has set up its support systems in a way that makes it extremely difficult to get support in these circumstances. In fact, regular Apple Support has no ability to even transfer a call to Developer support.

If anyone can help me with this I'll buy you a beer--heck, several beers.

Thanks

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of rokit88 Down vote post of rokit88
11k views

Replies

I have exact same issue since today 😞 I've signed in with another account to post this.

I'm sorry to hear you're having the same issue. At least you're not alone in your frustration. If you haven't already, you should open a developer support ticket so they know multiple people are having the issue. If they have two accounts with the same problem that they can examine it may reveal a common core issue.

To open the ticket I used my alternate Apple ID and went to developer.apple.com -> Contact Us -> Membership and Account -> Account Access -> 'Request Callback'.

After you talk to the support rep and get a case number you'll get an email back saying that to communicate further with the support rep you'll have to login with the same ID that you're having the issue with, which of course you can't--but don't worry, their system does also route email replies to the support rep, so I've been able to talk to him over email and send additional information. It was escalated to engineering and they had me record Safari debug logs. The issue occurs though for any browser and device that I try, and I've tried a lot, so I doubt it's a browser issue.

Do you use one Apple ID to log in to your computer and to make personal purchases and another one for app development, or do you normally just use one Apple ID for everything? I use separate personal and work Apple IDs but the problem occurs even if the device is logged into iCloud using the same ID that I'm trying to login to developer.apple.com with. So I don't think having separate IDs is this issue, but I was just curious if you use a similar setup. I've used this setup to develop apps for 14 years and everything has worked fine up until 2 days ago.

I'll post anything else that I learn.

I'm still waiting for engineering to resolve the issue but I've uncovered some more potential clues. To access these forums I had to use a different Apple ID than the dev ID that's been having this issue. But I found that even this other Apple ID also has the same issue, but only if I manually type in the password or let the browser use auto-fill--and again, I know it's the correct password because a password failure results in a different error saying that the id or password is incorrect. Regardless of what browser or device I use, entering my credentials doesn't work.

The only way I'm able to log in to any Apple website, on any device, with any ID, is if I use the Touch ID automatic login (I'm not referring to when Touch ID just auto-fills the password field, but the larger Touch ID dialog with the red thumb-print that automatically submits both username and password at the same time). As long as the Apple ID that Touch ID defaults to is the one I want to sign in with it works--but if I need click "Use a different Apple ID" in the Touch ID dialog it switches to manual form entry which results in the error. And unfortunately, the Touch ID dialog never defaults to the Apple ID I use for development. Touch ID could be working because it bypasses 2FA, and 2FA could be the core issue.

Okay, I made some incremental progress. After seeing that my personal Apple ID had the same issue and could not log in with username/password, but could login using Touch ID I tried logging into my laptop using my dev Apple ID and then signing into to App Store Connect, but that failed. (When I refer to Touch ID login I'm referring to the larger Touch ID window, not the one that just fills in the password because that fails). So then I decided to go buy another MacBook and set it up using my dev Apple ID. Then when I went to appstoreconnect.apple.com I was able to sign in using Touch ID. It's only a temporary solution because I don't want to spend $2k just to be able to manage my apps, so I do eventually want to return the laptop.

Something in the 2FA backend seems to have changed because I've used separate Apple IDs for personal and dev work for 14 years with no issues. If you search online you only see App Developers reporting the issue because I think we're more likely to use multiple Apple IDs in order to separate personal and business purchases for tax purposes. But developers and support techs at Apple never see this because they probably just use one Apple ID.

If you need to take the drastic step of buying another MacBook to access your dev account, Best Buy, has a good sale on M1 Macs and if you get TotalTech, which includes AppleCare, it extends your return window to 60 days.

I was having the same issue for both accounts: personal and work (different Apple IDs). After unsuccessful attempts to login, change networks (wi-fi, cellular, vpn), etc.

I've contacted apple support via the Apple Support app on iOS and we scheduled a call:

• I was asked to attempt logging into appleid.apple.com instead of a developer.apple.com. It somehow worked.
  • Then I was walked through the process of resetting Apple ID password. It can be done either from appleid.apple.com if you were able to access it or using a logged in iOS device.
  • I did reset password for both: personal and work Apple IDs.
  • After that I was able to log in into both of my developer accounts.
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of lflw Down vote reply of lflw
  • Thank You! I was facing the same error on icloud. and I tried to log into appleid.apple.com as per your comment. Surprisingly, I was able to login to that website, and after that, I tried icloud and it worked! APPLE should fix this glitch ASAP.

Add a Comment

I just encounter the problem today. Attempt login to App Store Connect directly on Safari. I got the two-factor code alert, but also the failed to verify message in the browser with nowhere to enter the 2-factor code. I instead went to developer.apple.com and was able to successfully log in there, and then clicked over to App Store Connect successfully.

We have been facing this issue for the past three days. We are badly stuck and are not able to release our app. We have tried all the above-mentioned solutions but nothing worked for me. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

This is still an issue. I am able to log into everything bar the App Store Connect. It instantly goes red and says failed to verify identity.. and i get the pop up verify thing Allow or Don't allow with a code but there is nowhere to enter the code. I was already in the app store connect about to release a new version of my app when this happened. Obviously some bug Apple side. Very frustrating.. I know I'll come back later and it will be fine but often these releases are time critical.

I am having the same problem where I got into 2 different scenarios

SCENARIO #1

• Filled in my info (automatically populated)
  • took a phot of my Driver's License (Front and Back)

and got Failed to Verify Did it all over again, and got the same result

SCENARIO #2

• Filled in my info (automatically populated)
  • took a phot of my Driver's License (Front and Back)

and got a Photo Upload Issue, Retake retook the pictures and went back to SCENARIO #1

I also faced the issue 2 days ago I'm able to log in to the developer account and the account is also logged into my Apple devices but I can't access to AppstoreConnect. It asked me for the national ID card or passport, so I just provided the passport and still waiting for the approval. When I try to access my AppstoreConnect account, below mentioned popup just appears on the screen.

`Information Submitted Thanks for providing additional information—it is currently processing and will be reviewed shortly.

During this time, you will not have access to App Store Connect and may experience delays with your payments, if applicable.`

I need to provide a build to the client on Test Flight but it becomes a blocker.