Ventura 13.4 External Display Sleep Loop Bug

The Ventura 13.4 update introduced a display signal lost bug which when the monitor is put to sleep after power saving setting is reached or if manually using the shortcut keys to put sleep the display, it wakes up the monitor briefly then tries to go back to sleep for 15 seconds and then wakes up with the “no signal” warning in an infinite loop. It's starting to be reported by others, where this did not exist until after the update.

Reddit: Ventura 13.4 Display Sleep Issue https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/13lyu2y/macos_ventura_134_display_sleep_issue/

I tried everything from turning off power saving settings, turned off screen saver, WoL, uninstalled color calibration software, reset monitor to factory settings, booted into safe mood, nothing had an effect.

Should I submit a bug report?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of CEOpx Down vote post of CEOpx
6k views
  • +1 for me. LG 27UD58 really annoying having to press buttons on my monitor to turn off.

• This is really not acceptable. Apple please fix this issue. It was introduced in Ventura 13.4 and remains unfixed since. FIXIT.

Add a Comment

Replies

Confirmed this is still happening with 4K IPS screens in Ventura 13.5 (Apple M2 Pro/Z17K000BGX/A, LG 27UD68).

Screens are connected to Caldigit TS4 Thunderbolt 4 Dock (DisplayPort connections).

Was not happening up to and including 13.1. Did not test on 13.2, or 13.3. Issue first seen in 13.4.

High priority issue; This defect is causing damage to screens, as screens boot loop forever until user intervenes. The issue only starts after the screens go to sleep, so issue starts after user has walked away, and so often goes unnoticed until returning to find screens have rebooted hundreds of times.

No power settings on the screens resolve the issue. The user has to power down the screens manually to protect them.

Thanks

Same issue with my MBA m1 ventura 13.5 and my Xiaomi 34 curved monitor connected to DP. My solution is to connect my MBA to my external monitor with HDMI cable. Do someone find any other solution that works with DP? Can this bug damage my monitor?

I'm Experiencing the same issue with my Mac M1 Pro 16'. Upgraded to Ventura 13.5 and now when using two monitors, my LG monitor suddenly turns off and I have to push off and on button on the monitor to get the image back. My cables, installation and devices are fine and worked excellent until the OS update.

Is it fixed in 13.5.1 for anyone?

• I have just updated to 13.5.1 On my M1 Mac mini. One display connected via HDMI to USB-C through Apple port adapter disconnects. HDMI display stays connected. Swapped around display ports and problem stays with the USB-C connected monitor. This is ridiculous and not acceptable. It is hard to get any work done while one of your monitors keeps disconnecting and you are forced to turn off and back on to start receiving a signal again. No issues what so ever prior to updating the to 13.5.1.

• No. No change at all with 13.5.1.

Add a Comment

yes it's still there in 13.5.1.

I have it on my Mac mini M1 connected via usb-c to LG display. From comments here it seems to be affecting mostly LG monitors. Maybe we should all buy Apple XDR displays to solve this issue :-D

• Not only LG, I have the same issue with Xiaomi MI ultrawide 34 screen.

Add a Comment

Still not fixed in 13.5.2... Getting really annoying now, and starting to become brand-damaging. The only reason I tried the upgrade was for this issue.

Considering Apple have also cancelled their plans (for now) to release a new Apple Display with a super thin bezel (I need multi-screen setup) means, thin-bezel high resolution screens from LG are still the best option.. And as this issue seems restricted to LG screens, this is starting to look like anti-competitive behaviour!

Apple need to prioritise fixing this, and/or get on with making a new display.

I might face a similar issue with a Dell u2723qe. In my case it might be related to MST/Daisychaining: See here for more information:

https://www.dell.com/community/en/conversations/monitors/u2723qe-is-flickering-as-soon-as-dp-out-is-connected-on-macos/65037e8fa4619d31670bd914

I changed input settings on my monitor: Auto-switch input settings on For me this solved the problem. Monitor is going to sleep now... Mac OS 13.5 and Macbook Pro M1

MacOS 14.0 Sonoma release - bug still exists.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of Udaw Down vote reply of Udaw

Can also confirm that the bug is still there in Sonoma. I note quite a few people having this problem with DisplayPort connections but i'm using HDMI and it's happening to me too. Dell S2419H connected via HDMI through a Satechi multiport adapter via USB-C.

The same problem: On connecting with LG display (LG-27UL850W), the display connection can't be established.

We have about 20 MacBooks and MacBook Airs (various ages) running OSX, and about 32 LG monitors.

Both Ventura and Sonoma installs experience the same behaviour.

Things we tried, without success:

• Turning it off and on again (both computer and display)
  • Switch USB-C cables with a working monitor.
  • Use other USB-C port on the computer.
  • Add additional power adapter to the computer.
  • Upgraded from Ventura to Sonoma.

I've seen an error in Console.app on attempting to connect to a display that fails to connect.

kernel (AppleDisplayCrossbar)
Subsystem: -- Category: <Missing Description> Hide
Activity ID: 0 
Thread ID: 0×357d19 
PID: 0
Volatile ERROR

2023-10-05 09:31:15.490449+0200

IOAV[165125] AppleATCDPAltModePort(atc0-dpphy)<0x1000002b8>::handleActivate: DP Alt Mode with PHY still in use

Maybe needless to say, but this greatly disrupts our work.

Sonoma 14.1 fixed this issue for me.

Just updated to Sonoma 14.1 and the bug it has been fixed for me. I have a LG 27UD68

Display sleep restored on 27UD58 with 14.1 (23B74)

Thank you Apple.

LG-27UL550 still has the problem... with 14.1